JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would recommend a group called "Babes With Bullets." They run classes in Tucson and several other camps throughout the country. This is how I got my wife involved in shooting and she LOVED it.

They use M&Ps as training pistols. .22 on Day One until you are solid on the basics, then they use 9mm for the rest of the course. Their instructors are top shooters (Kay Miculek, Lena Miculek, Lisa Monson, Athena Lee, etc) and their camps are 3 days long.

Check out their website.

www.babeswithbullets.com

Something else to consider is attending an Appleseed event. It's rifle marksmanship not pistol but the fundamentals are the same. Safety, trigger control, sight alignment, and diagnostics etc are the same between long and short guns.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=38584.0

If you contact the instructors sometimes there are even loaner rifles you could get instead of providing your own.

There are courses held at Ariel and Battle Ground near Vancouver pretty regularly.

You definitely want to research the states you would be traveling in.
In my estimation an empty gun is an expensive rock and about as effective. If you need a gun you need it within arms reach!
In all maters CYA and take it slowly.
Look for a gun shop that has a fireing range most of them that do, have try guns to help you decide on which one fits you and they are hoping you will buy it from them. Sometimes you can offer to buy one of their used range guns at a fair savings. Used isn't bad, ABUSED is!
9mm is about as small caliber as you will want to carry unless you just have to have one that fits in your Bra, then 380 is it. I may get some flack about that but 9mm ammo s cheaper than 380 which can be higher than 45acp. It is also more pleasant to shoot than the larger calibers and if it isn't pleasant you will probably avoid practice because it hurts your wrist or scares you.
Just a few things to think about.
Good thread
Bill

Hey! I'd just like to say thank you to everyone that gave their input on this thread. Life got in the way and I had to put everything on the backburner. The info here has made it extremely easy to pick up where I left off.
Cheers, again!
;)

Obviously, living in yUK most of the time, reading this fascinating thread is a purely academic exercise, since only one part of the yUK has any form of civilian CCW.

However, as a person who legally carried a concealed firearm [a Walther PP in 9mmK/.380ACP] many years when in a certain part of the yUK, I would have just one thing to add. Sure, a .380ACP has been mentioned, and no doubt that included the Makarov and look-alikes. It is my experience as a pistol-shooter for the last sixty-four years that very few ladies can easily work the slide on these calibre handguns - most of which are of straight blowback action format and have a very strong recoil spring.

Just sayin', now I'll carry on reading and shut up.

tac

I can attest to what Tac says my wife went from a Walther ppks to a S&W chiefs special. Yes a five shot revolver but she is quite accurate with it and she is very comfortable with it. I think those are very important aspects of a carry gun.

Obviously, living in yUK most of the time, reading this fascinating thread is a purely academic exercise, since only one part of the yUK has any form of civilian CCW.

However, as a person who legally carried a concealed firearm [a Walther PP in 9mmK/.380ACP] many years when in a certain part of the yUK, I would have just one thing to add. Sure, a .380ACP has been mentioned, and no doubt that included the Makarov and look-alikes. It is my experience as a pistol-shooter for the last sixty-four years that very few ladies can easily work the slide on these calibre handguns - most of which are of straight blowback action format and have a very strong recoil spring.

Just sayin', now I'll carry on reading and shut up.

tac
Hell, I'm a GUY and I find a fullsize 1911 slide easier to work than those nasty little pocket-monsters... I can only imagine what it must have been like for some of the girls I tutored who made first rental decisions by "oh this looks cute I'll try it" rather than taking my advice about "start with a large frame small caliber for first-time practice, then move up."

Something I found that worked really well with my Wife, was we had her try out several friends pistols to get her used to the noise, the snappy recoil, and the general handling! Then we focused on finding the limits of what she could handle comfortably as far as recoil and size ( both gun and caliber) THEN, we went looking at the guns that fit those parameters that she had settled in on! She ended up picking a .45 and the Taurus 24/7 compact fit the bill. For much of her CC, that was the pistol for her! Then S/W came out with the Shield and it was a match made in heaven! While The Wife stepped down in perceived power, she ended up with a round that she can practice with A LOT, and that has made things way better for both of us, as it has allowed for a lot more training for both of us! Now, She carries a Compact double stack .45 for her CC, and the Shield is now a backup! Good on you for taking the time and effort to get your self where you are, and double good on you for asking for help and advice! Please let us know how things are going, and if you ever need any thing, We are hear for you, Do Not hesitate to ask ANY thing! In case you haven't noticed, We really like to help!

In Vancouver/Camas area, a good place is Safefire, the new range on 1st st. Right by Union High School and Costco. They offer good priced women only beginner classes and on mondays have 50% off range time for women. It's a really nice place with good people. Also, for rentals, you pay a flat $20, and you can try all the guns you want.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top