JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife and I did a basic handgun class that had range training included. I was actually the only guy there and the rest were women. This guy ran the course and it was very good.
http://www.hatchtraining.info/

My wife felt it was very good and really made her more confident. They set up the range training by having you load just one round, chamber and fire it under direct supervision, then reload. Then you went up to 3 rounds, and more and you felt more confident. The trainer was at your side the whole time. Very nice for someone who has never even handled a gun before.

BEAUTIFUL!! Thank you so very much for these videos! Great ways to show not only how to handle a weapon, but why you're doing so in such a manner.

Also, I will look into these facilities as well! Great information :D

Here are a couple of my favorite You Tube instruction videos.

This one focuses drawing and presentation (aiming):

...and this one is getting and maintaining a proper grip and pressure on the weapon. This video turned my shooting from hit and miss (literally and figuratively) to being a consistently accurate shot:

Though obtaining ammunition for them is (right now) difficult, the .22LR pistol such as a Ruger 22/45 or a good .22 revolver like the Smith & Wesson Model 17 would be something you'd keep forever, regardless of where you went from there.

I think it's important to get accustomed to mild recoil and safe handling before moving to larger calibers. Too many newer shooters get "spooked" with managing heavy calibers and the experience is not fun, so they develop bad habits or a negative attitude toward the endeavor which can take years to overcome, if ever.

I like his straight-forward and informative method of explaining things.
Also, I agree that it would be best to start small and move up as I get more acquainted and comfortable.

My girlfriend prefers full sized pistols to compacts and sub compacts. When shopping around dont let anyone tell you a specific caliber will be "too much" for you.
My lady LOVES my 1911 and can shoot .45ACP all day she can shoot .357 but doesn't like shooting it out of a 2" barrel.. Its a little much but the 4-6" she fires just fine and she isn't the "strongest" woman in the world a gallon if milk is even too much for her, but that goes to show you the fad of telling woman what they can or should shoot is just wrong..

My girlfriend, myself and a whole bunch of other folks cant stand that jive at firearm shops. They always want to pawn off some .22 or .380 to an unsuspecting woman, new shooter or young man.. What they dont tell you is .22 and .380 ammo is a PITA to find
(.380 is getting better)
that and tiny sub compact pistols generally have issues. ALL mine have at some point.
(Except the Ruger LC380 Im sellin :))

Small parts usually equal big problems over time.. Even if the design is sound small parts break.
Larger pistols with larger parts "generally" have less issues and can take more abuse.

Thats just my opinion through person experience.

Also avoid a pistol that has a million safety features. It seems like a good idea at the time.. But thats more things that can go wrong as well as more obstacles you'd have to overcome in a defensive situation should it arise.

Id also go with a current production pistol
(companies that are still around) that are able to warranty or replace anything that may break.. Also mags and other aftermarket replacement parts can be had pretty much anywhere.

What I "gun" for is common easy to find calibers so sometimes it limits my firearm selection but at least I know if I want to have a great range day I dont have to hit up 10 stores to find ammo OR break the bank acquiring the said ammo.

.40S&W is super common as is .45ACP

9mm is getting better
.38 special /.357 magnum and .380 is hit and miss

Keep that in mind when shopping.. If another ammo panic/scare arises
The most common and available right now are generally the most common even during a panic.
.40 and .45 were everywhere where as .380, 9mm and .38/.357 were harder to come by.

The other oddball .45LC .410 44 mag and what ever other ridiculous hand cannon ammo Im forgetting to mention can be had.. But Id be fibbing if I said I knew.. I don't fuss with that stuff.

I would personally get a full sized pistol first, then transition to a compact or sub compact pistol

My girlfriend prefers full sized pistols to compacts and sub compacts. When shopping around dont let anyone tell you a specific caliber will be "too much" for you.
My lady LOVES my 1911 and can shoot .45ACP all day she can shoot .357 but doesn't like shooting it out of a 2" barrel.. Its a little much but the 4-6" she fires just fine and she isn't the "strongest" woman in the world a gallon if milk is even too much for her, but that goes to show you the fad of telling woman what they can or should shoot is just wrong..

My girlfriend, myself and a whole bunch of other folks cant stand that jive at firearm shops. They always want to pawn off some .22 or .380 to an unsuspecting woman, new shooter or young man.. What they dont tell you is .22 and .380 ammo is a PITA to find
(.380 is getting better)
that and tiny sub compact pistols generally have issues. ALL mine have at some point.
(Except the Ruger LC380 Im selling :))

Small parts usually equal big problems over time.. Even if the design is sound small parts break.
Larger pistols with larger parts "generally" have less issues and can take more abuse.

Id also go with a current production pistol
(companies that are still around) that are able to warranty or replace anything that may break.. Also mags and other aftermarket replacement parts can be had pretty much anywhere.

Thats just my opinion through experience.

What I "gun" for is common easy to find calibers so sometimes it limits my firearm selection but at least I know if I want to have a great range day I dont have to hit up 10 stores to find ammo OR break the bank acquiring the said ammo.

.40S&W is super common as is .45ACP

9mm is getting better
.38 special /.357 magnum and .380 is hit and miss

Keep that in mind when shopping.. If another ammo panic/scare arises
The most common and available right now are generally the most common even during a panic.
.40 and .45 were everywhere where as .380, 9mm and .38/.357 were harder to come by.

The other oddball .45LC .410 44 mag and what ever other ridiculous hand cannon ammo Im forgetting to mention can be had.. But Id be fibbing if I said I knew.. I don't fuss with that stuff.

I would personally get a full sized pistol first, then transition to a compact or sub compact pistol

Awesome points! I am not the most technical, but the items I use or come to rely on, I read manuals, learn to take apart and fix, or generally troubleshoot. Having a weapon that has readily available parts and ammo would be a pretty big deal. Learning the inner workings of a gun (i.e being able to learn to fix it if something did go wrong) is at the top of my list, as well.
I stopped by a gun shop just to check out sizes and styles and the guy was so keen on having me look at a small, bright pink gun (not sure what caliber as he wasn't into technicalities). That right there bugged me and I felt like I really wasn't going to get any useful information. Like he was treating it as a novelty or something. I kept trying to ask about another one that was a bit bigger and looked like it would fit better and he wouldn't hear it. I have nothing against pink, but good grief ! I know not all shop owners are like that, but I would hate to find out the hard way that I had been "sold" on something, ya know?
Thanks for going into details! Love it!

Might I suggest that you also go to one of the larger gun shows (the 3-day one at the EXPO center) that has MANY tables. Take a pencil/pen and a note pad.

Ask the vendors to handle the various firearms that interest you. You will find that revolvers and semi-auto's have significantly different grips. Find ones that are comfortable for you. Write down the make, model and caliber. Price too. Then go from there. Only you know what is comfortable and affordable.

ie: My wife LOVES the feel of the smaller grip that comes with the Ruger SR22. She does not like the larger grip. Although, she hates the feel of the similar Walther P22. She has a Taurus PT92 that she loves to shoot. The grip is a little big for her, but she loves the recoil and feel while firing.

My wife also took a handgun safety course. They fired a shotgun, rifle (forget the caliber), 44 revolver, 357 revolver and I believe a 45 and 9mm semi-auto. Maybe signing up for a hand gun safety course that offers range-time might be nice for you to do. It would allow to shoot various firearms as a start.

Also, when looking at semi-auto's cycle the slide. Some are significantly harder to cycle than others. Find one(s) that you can handle. If you can't cycle the first round into the chamber you have a nice paper weight with a loaded magazine inserted in it.....

Might I suggest that you also go to one of the larger gun shows (the 3-day one at the EXPO center) that has MANY tables. Take a pencil/pen and a note pad.

Ask the vendors to handle the various firearms that interest you. You will find that revolvers and semi-auto's have significantly different grips. Find ones that are comfortable for you. Write down the make, model and caliber. Price too. Then go from there. Only you know what is comfortable and affordable.

ie: My wife LOVES the feel of the smaller grip that comes with the Ruger SR22. She does not like the larger grip. Although, she hates the feel of the similar Walther P22. She has a Taurus PT92 that she loves to shoot. The grip is a little big for her, but she loves the recoil and feel while firing.

My wife also took a handgun safety course. They fired a shotgun, rifle (forget the caliber), 44 revolver, 357 revolver and I believe a 45 and 9mm semi-auto. Maybe signing up for a hand gun safety course that offers range-time might be nice for you to do. It would allow to shoot various firearms as a start.

Also, when looking at semi-auto's cycle the slide. Some are significantly harder to cycle than others. Find one(s) that you can handle. If you can't cycle the first round into the chamber you have a nice paper weight with a loaded magazine inserted in it.....
I went to an Expo a few years back in Oregon, but I never thought to take a paper and pencil! Ugh, the little things that would have made my life so much easier, eh?
Great advice!

There are quite a few YT gun channels directed specifically towards females and their particular approach to weapons. I don't watch them, however, input appropriate search words and a variety from idiotic to excellent and useful will pop up. Based on my non- judicious study of their titles many of these videos do appear to deal with getting started, equipment choices, overview, etc. As well, these guys have made a lot of great suggestions for local and hands-on experience.

+1 for gun shows - they have a huge selection. Treat it like a touch and feel trip though, as you will quickly be overwhelmed by the massive amount of options (unless you go with something specific in mind).

There have been many, many good resources posted and much good advice given.

Like I said in my post on your first thread; ( 1 on 1> Everything).

Having a dedicated person, specifically focused on you and your questions/needs, would be the best case scenario. That's how I learned (at age 4 from my grandfather) and I will carry those lessons with me forever.

If it were me, I would look for someone (maybe in the female section? if that's most comfortable - or bring a friend - whatever your comfort level is) that has a few handguns that might be willing to have you tag along for a day at the range. You will learn more in a day then you will researching every video about guns on YouTube.

I know more then the average bear about firearms but I can sit morning to night watching videos about something firearms related and rarely get bored or run out of things to watch and learn about.

--------

Screen the person at a coffee meet and greet possibly before you go shooting, you will know very quickly if they are the kind of person you want to learn from.

1) *Before* you buy any firearm, take a basic safety course.

2) *Before* you buy any firearm, try them out on a range where you can rent the ones you want to buy.

3) I recommend that every person, experienced in firearms or not, should have at least one .22 rimfire firearm. For a beginner, these make a good first gun as they are fun and inexpensive to shoot, are usually inexpensive themselves, and you can concentrate on the basics without having to deal with the recoil and noise.

Even after you "graduate" to more powerful firearms, you can still keep the rimfires and have a lot of fun with them. I have some very powerful handguns and rifles, but my favorites are the rimfires.

If it were me, I would look for someone (maybe in the female section? if that's most comfortable - or bring a friend - whatever your comfort level is) that has a few handguns that might be willing to have you tag along for a day at the range. You will learn more in a day then you will researching every video about guns on YouTube.

+1 on the videos - they are good for some education and entertainment. But when it comes to guns, hands on and in person is best. Thankfully the gun community is full of great folks that love sharing what they know with others - particularly new shooters. And there are plenty of ladies to assist there too - and that number is growing. My wife enjoys shooting - I've seen her shoot everything from a .22 up to a .357 magnum as well as rifles up to .30-06 and she's shot trap with a 12 gauge shotgun - all that and she's a full foot shorter than me. Getting hands on will help you best determine what works for you - and anyone that tells you that you should 'stick' with a certain smaller caliber isn't your friend ;) You need to know what works for you.

Now, back to videos, because they can help you learn some serious lessons. Here is one they showed at the orientation class for a local range. It makes a good point about always keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction. He violated that rule and came about an inch from losing his life. It's scary for him, but I'm betting he learned a very valuable lesson:

1) *Before* you buy any firearm, take a basic safety course.

2) *Before* you buy any firearm, try them out on a range where you can rent the ones you want to buy.

3) I recommend that every person, experienced in firearms or not, should have at least one .22 rimfire firearm. For a beginner, these make a good first gun as they are fun and inexpensive to shoot, are usually inexpensive themselves, and you can concentrate on the basics without having to deal with the recoil and noise.

Even after you "graduate" to more powerful firearms, you can still keep the rimfires and have a lot of fun with them. I have some very powerful handguns and rifles, but my favorites are the rimfires.

Normally, I would 100% agree with this, however as .22LR ammo is still in very short supply I'm not sure it's the best advice. Also, when it comes to someone who is looking at firearms strictly for defense and is on a budget, yes it does provide good experience and practice, but it may not be within the budget and it may increase the learning curve on the centerfire firearm.

For the moment at least, I will echo what a few other people have said, for your purposes, you probably want a full-sized or "compact" pistol, you likely won't be happy with a pocket pistol, they tend to be very loud, unpleasant in recoil, and rather difficult to use.

As for carrying... you may wish to check state laws as they vary greatly. Even with a CPL, only certain states honor it. For the route you are talking about, NV doesn't recognize your CPL.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

I think nevada only recognizes it's own permits, or very close to it. But, it is legal to travel with a loaded pistol in the vehicle in nevada, it just can't be in your purse, or in a backpack. Stick it under the seat, glovebox, or center console.

rimfire ammo is more expensive than it used to be, but is still less expensive than centerfire ammo

plus the prices are coming down and availability is going up

even for someone who only wants a firearm for self-defense, practicing basic technique with a rimfire saves money and time in the long run

if you can't afford a separate rimfire firearm, then find someone who will let you shoot theirs

YMMV

+1 on the videos - they are good for some education and entertainment. But when it comes to guns, hands on and in person is best. Thankfully the gun community is full of great folks that love sharing what they know with others - particularly new shooters. And there are plenty of ladies to assist there too - and that number is growing. My wife enjoys shooting - I've seen her shoot everything from a .22 up to a .357 magnum as well as rifles up to .30-06 and she's shot trap with a 12 gauge shotgun - all that and she's a full foot shorter than me. Getting hands on will help you best determine what works for you - and anyone that tells you that you should 'stick' with a certain smaller caliber isn't your friend ;) You need to know what works for you.

Now, back to videos, because they can help you learn some serious lessons. Here is one they showed at the orientation class for a local range. It makes a good point about always keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction. He violated that rule and came about an inch from losing his life. It's scary for him, but I'm betting he learned a very valuable lesson:

GAH!!!! Holy macaroni! I can't even.

Thanks for the input, hands on is for sure the way to go, though, my style of learning has always been research and then execution (eh, for lack of a better word). I'm happy I asked, and thankful for all the honest, first-hand experience responses.

I don't actually expect to carry on my person whilst driving through some western states, I hardly ever stop anyway. Though I would prefer to have a loaded gun in the car or in a hotel room (rarely get one anyway).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top