JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Come in to my shop and talk to the guys behind the counter. We will be more than happy to discuss firearms at length, show you the most simple of basics (4 rules for safe firearms handling) free of charge.

We will encourage you to take our NRA Basic Pistol course, which would also qualify you for the Oregon Concealed Handgun license. My trainers come from a variety of emergency response, law enforcement, and military backgrounds and are NRA-certified. We teach more than firearm safety, more than mere concealed classes. We always teach to a standard well above the minimum requirements.

We'll talk to you about Washington and Oregon rules, and how to go about getting your concealed permit. Our classes will prep you for safe, mindful practice that will allow you to gradually increase your skill on your own, and we'll be available for advice and more advanced training down the road. We'll have you handle a few different models and point out how to grip it and aim it, which will help you decide which fits best. We'll point you to local places to rent and try out some firearms.

What we won't do:

Condescend
Tell you exactly what you need without input
Try to sell you more than you need or can afford
Tell you that you could not possibly handle "X" firearm
Be judgmental about lack of experience or your intended use of the firearm whether that is self defense or just for sport.

We can teach you to shoot any pistol of any caliber adequately well, but we want you to choose the pistol that is right for you so you practice consistently and become much better than 'adequate' with your chosen sidearm.

Thank you for the reassurance, it's quite discouraging when a n00b like me walks into a place and isn't given the time of day. I am actually just down the street from this location, so I will be stopping by for sure (with a barrage of questions!

Usually the first thing told to a female given this question is to go to corneredcat (or something) .com.
The boys are doing an excellent job with you, of course.
I think I noted, save some .22's, the lack of recommending a .38/.357 revolver. Target wadcutters hardly kick and they'll do ten times more hurt than a .22.
Revolvers are kinda like a stone axe (but not so sexy as an auto.. lolz) and'll sure get the job done.
Anyway, good luck.

Thanks. I AM pretty practical, and I will listen to someones feedback/recommendations and then do my own research. (That's why i am here, and have looked in to all suggestions that have been given so far). Luckily, I can spot a sell fairly quickly, so i have that going for me, which is nice, but I won't dismiss a recommendation JUST because it comes from a shop, just like I won't take something as Gospel JUST because it comes from the first hand experience of someone else. Clearly they aren't all the same.

Seriously.........

I bought a Kel-Tec P-11 because it was a small, lightweight, hi cap (10) gun.

I HATED shooting it!

If you can't practice shooting a gun, what good is it?

Small isn't necessarily GOOD.

Be certain you SHOOT 3-4-5 mags minimum when testing/renting.
1 mag doesn't even come close to how it REALLY shoots

ALSO, check out Hickok45 vids. He is a no BS gun reviewer, and it's fun to see him shooting the guns he reviews....all kinds.......

An Oregon Resident Permit will be honored in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont

A Utah non resident permit will be honored in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

The sticky wicket with your route through Nevada is that they only honor permits by Alaska, Arkansas, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia

None of which are easy to come by here in Oregon.

you can research this here http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

An Oregon Resident Permit will be honored in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont

I was under the impression that even though Oregon issues to non-residents, it was pretty difficult to get them to issue one? I also read that Nevada, even though you had to apply in-state, was pretty easy going about their licenses and would mail it to you. I'll have to recheck the info I have on it. I figured I would be covered if I got Utah, Nevada and avoid Oregon if I wasn't issued one.

Strike that. A sapphire pearl colored gun....ZOMG!!!!:eek:

c783979077a6b48df9ed194e9fefdb37.jpg

Sorry missed the fact you were a Washington Resident. In which case

Your Washington Resident CHL would only be available in

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin

None of which are on your route to AZ.

Nevada only honors

Alaska, Arkansas, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia

details here:

http://www.usacarry.com/nevada_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

Also, (welcome aboard, BTW), a little advice I used to give my students, most of whom were ladies between the student body and staff at my college:

Between weapons and tactics, try different things on for size and keep an open mind. What works well for one person might not at all--there is no One Size Fits All sidearm, nor OSFA stance or technique. Read a broad selection of books (I like Mas Ayoob's works personally, but I'm biased because he both trained the man who trained me and has been more than generous with his knowledge despite me not having carved holes in calendar and budget to attend any of his classes), try the various techniques and stances out, and decide for yourself what fits YOU best. Maybe that's a .38 Special revolver, maybe it's a 5" 1911 .45, maybe it's a 9mm Glock 17, maybe it's something else entirely.

Also, listen to what your body tells you as you try things out. If something doesn't FEEL right in how the muscles are tensed, it probably ISN'T--the one universal thing I've seen is you really want a strong lock-up in bone structure to transmit the forces of recoil through your arm, down your spine and into the ground. Leaning into the shot and having one leg behind you acting as a "support strut" both help... look at old videos of Bruce Lee throwing full-force punches and how he braced himself for some ideas.

Happy Shooting! :)

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but having your "significant other" try and teach you oftentimes doesn't work out the best, either.

It's the whole "familiarity breeds contempt" thing, and oftentimes devolves into a bickering match, and then into a "stop yelling at me", "I'm not yelling at you!", argument. LOL!

Yeah, he knows how to shoot, and I have various friends that know how, but I would rather start off right and not pick up any of their bad habits. Start right with a clean slate. Afterwards, I can join them, but not before.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but having your "significant other" try and teach you oftentimes doesn't work out the best, either.

It's the whole "familiarity breeds contempt" thing, and oftentimes devolves into a bickering match, and then into a "stop yelling at me", "I'm not yelling at you!", argument. LOL!

This is an excellent point. At an indoor range recently I witnessed the dynamic between a guy and his probable GF as he instructed her, for lack of better words, more like harangued and micro-managed, through several magazines of pistol fire.
It was excruciating to even witness. If she never picked up a gun again I would not blame her.
There is a vast difference between being able to do a thing and being able to properly teach it.

For training go with a pro with a relaxed attitude and leave the BF at home.

[QUOTE="

I assume you don't know anyone who owns firearms? That can be a good first experience if the person has the temperament to train/teach the basics.
I do have a couple friends, though they don't seem to take things as seriously as I would like. I can be quite disciplined when it comes to objects that can kill, and most people I know don't have that kind of respect towards firearms.[/QUOTE]

There are ranges which rent guns so you can find one suited for your physique and experience. I would however recommend nothing less in caliber than a 9MM that can handle +P ammunition, which is a pussycat to shoot in most platforms such as a Glock or Springfield XD. My avatar cat agrees

A 22 is great for training but not enough for self defense, so it's a budget thing

The wise position on where to carry is that no place is safe. You are likely in greater danger when you get into your car in a public place, although I've faced off assault on the open road as well. Situational awareness and mindset are key

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top