JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have always had a model 28 S&W in either 4 or 6 inch. I am not rough on my guns but this one doesn't have to babied. I might consider a 27 in the future.

Last Edited:
IMHO.......I'd start with a 6 shot, K frame, 4" bbl, S&W in .357 Mag. Blue or SS, your choice. YES, I'm a bit biased toward S&W revolvers because my first revolver was also a S&W. IMHO, S&W offers a good product at a reasonable price (considering what labor-intensive stuff costs nowadays).

YEAH, Yeah, yeah........38 special ammo can also be shot out of it. And, as an added benefit, you could save a bit on ammo costs vs. the .357 Mag.

BTW, IMHO the .38 special and 357 Mag cartridges are easy to learn how to reload. Yup......way back in the late '70s, I even started reloading on the .38 special cartridge. And, LOL......I started with a single-stage RCBS press.

Anyway.......IMHO, things can/will evolve from that first revolver purchase. And so.....IF you don't like it. It's still a desired firearm today. Thus, you will probably not have to wait very long when selling it (assuming a reasonable price).

Why a K frame and not the L frame?

Well, being that it's lighter and smaller.....those other individuals in your family (especially the ones with somewhat smaller hands) may/might just find it a "perfect" introduction to revolvers, target shooting/defense.

Forget about the J frame for now.

Aloha, Mark

While you may not notice them often, there are plenty of competition decocker guns with 6 or 7 lb. double action and a single action just as you described, along with a short reset. Berretta and CZ come to mind.
Did you have any particular CZ in mind, and if so, why?

IMHO.......I'd start with a 6 shot, K frame, 4" bbl, S&W in .357 Mag. Blue or SS, your choice. YES, I'm a bit biased toward S&W revolvers because my first revolver was also a S&W. IMHO, S&W offers a good product at a reasonable price (considering what labor-intensive stuff costs nowadays).

YEAH, Yeah, yeah........38 special ammo can also be shot out of it. And, as an added benefit, you could save a bit on ammo costs vs. the .357 Mag.

BTW, IMHO the .38 special and 357 Mag cartridges are easy to learn how to reload. Yup......way back in the late '70s, I even started reloading on the .38 special cartridge. And, LOL......I started with a single-stage RCBS press.

Anyway.......IMHO, things can/will evolve from that first revolver purchase. And so.....IF you don't like it. It's still a desired firearm today. Thus, you will probably not have to wait very long when selling it (assuming a reasonable price).

Why a K frame and not the L frame?

Well, being that it's lighter and smaller.....those other individuals in your family (especially the ones with somewhat smaller hands) may/might just find it a "perfect" introduction to revolvers, target shooting/defense.

Forget about the J frame for now.

Aloha, Mark
The K and L are both medium frame and both come in either square or round butt grip frames taking exactly the same repertoire of grips. So if a K frame revolver with a round-butt grip frame fits someone's hands, an L frame round butt can take the same grip and fit their hands just as well.

However, the L frame is a significantly heavier frame with an under lugged barrel that costs more weight but really absorbs recoil. These under lugged barrels also make the gun muzzle-heavy. Like the Colt Python. Even my 686 snubby is muzzle-heavy. I can fire it with full mag loads without the recoil bothering me. In addition, my hand can tell where the gun is pointing with a muzzle-heavy gun, which could matter if I was attacked and had to fire the gun from the hip or some other position were I couldn't bring the gun up into alignment between my eyes and the target. I love muzzle heavy revolvers. But if you prefer the traditional balance and/or want the gun to be as light as possible for the size, you might prefer the K frame.

Revolvers have more personality. Semi-autos are just tools. For example, some of my revolvers (but none of my semi-autos) have names and apparent genders. Tanstaafl, a 6" Colt Anaconda .44 mag. Tansy for short. Buddy, my SW 686 snubby EDC 357mag. Belle, an 8 3/8" 629 .44 mag. And Thumper, a 9 1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag. Tansy and Belle are ladies. Buddy is a gentleman. Thumper is male but I wouldn't exactly call him a gentleman. He accosted me when I was walking by in a gun show and looking for something else. He claimed that he and I were meant for each other . And if I took him home with me he would thump anyone who tried to harm me, which he claimed he could do with or without ammunition .

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if the OP ended up with a revolver and if so which one. If not I have an assortment and don't live too far away if he'd like to test some out.

You've not had a semi-auto that refused to feed then. That dude was an as$hole!
I once had a Jennings .22 semi-auto that consistently jammed on the first round, so was a single shot. I gave it to a friend who sometimes needed something very tiny and concealable and who figured a single shot was better than nothing. That just meant it was a defective tool.

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if the OP ended up with a revolver and if so which one. If not I have an assortment and don't live too far away if he'd like to test some out.
@Helocat , did you buy one, or was it a passing fad?
I've had that happen to me. For a time it's on my "hit list", then "Ehh. Nevermind."

I have nothing against wheel guns. For some odd reason, I just don't own a single one. Lots of bolt actions, single shots but everything else takes a clip or a magazine. The first handgun I shot was a nickel plated .38 Police Special snub nose SW, which seems like the one to get for history's sake. BUT I don't have a desire to go to the range and plink away with it and I am not going to suddenly switch my EDC to it.

So for a wheel gun what would be the "fun" one to have? I mean fun to shoot. (If I own it, I shoot it) I also like to do my own reloading so I would roll my own for it too, so I can speed it up or slow it down as desired.
Ruger GP100, unless your definition of fun is something 'snazzy'.

K22 is the best shooting and most fun revolver I've shot. Not a self-defense or bear/cougar gun but you will enjoy it!

IMG_0349.JPG

@Helocat , did you buy one, or was it a passing fad?
I've had that happen to me. For a time it's on my "hit list", then "Ehh. Nevermind."

Holy thread Resurrection! Ok 2019 not too old

Yes I ended up with two wheel guns.

SW 686 with. 7" barrel .357
SW Chief special snub nose .38

The .38 is a copy of what my grandfather carried. It was to go to my sister but before she got it it was stolen. This was also the first handgun I ever shot.

I got the .357 so I could test loads I was working up for a few friends that could not get ammo. They had brass, projectiles were available and I had the rest in my stock. They have kept training these past 3yrs.

@oremike thank you for the offer!

Last Edited:
Holy thread Resurrection! Ok 2019 not too old

Yes I ended up with two wheel guns.

SW 686 with. 7" barrel .357
SW Chief special snub nose .38

The .38 is a copy of what my grandfather carried. It was to go to my sister but before she got it it was stolen. This was also the first handgun I ever shot.

I got the .357 so I could test loads I was working up for a few friends that could not get ammo. They had brass, projectiles were available and I had the rest in my stock. They have kept training these past 3yrs.

@oremike thank you for the offer!
Hello @Helocat . I participated even though I realized the thread started in 2019. I figured in this era of focus on semi-autos your question would be of ongoing interest to others. Have you been shooting your 686? Do you enjoy it? Are you a handgun hunter? If so, for what? Has the 686 remained just a fun shooter, as you anticipated? Or become more?

@OldBroad44 ,
I'll give you my perspective on this. When I started CCing (very early 90's) it was with a Model 60 in 38 Special. It shortly got replaced by a double stack Officer sized 1911 in 45ACP. I carried one or another 1911 without fail until I got my 60-15 a couple of years ago. Depending on dress and activities for the day, the 1911 may still get the call, but I'm honestly a little surprised how much I like that little revolver. When I did have the 686+, it got the call and the 1911 stayed home when I was headed to the woods.

Somewhere I have an ad in the wanted section of the classifieds asking for another prelock 686+ 4". All of this talk is making me think I need to bump that.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top