JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have nothing against wheel guns. For some odd reason, I just don't own a single one. Lots of bolt actions, single shots but everything else takes a clip or a magazine. The first handgun I shot was a nickel plated .38 Police Special snub nose SW, which seems like the one to get for history's sake. BUT I don't have a desire to go to the range and plink away with it and I am not going to suddenly switch my EDC to it.

So for a wheel gun what would be the "fun" one to have? I mean fun to shoot. (If I own it, I shoot it) I also like to do my own reloading so I would roll my own for it too, so I can speed it up or slow it down as desired.

Last Edited:
Personally if I had to trim down to only one revolver, it would probably be my 4" S&W model 66. It's an old police gun from the early '70s. My 13yo son shoots copious quantities of light .38 special ammo through it.

I also really like my 8 3/8" model 629 .44 Magnum, but anymore it's not so much fun to shoot full loads, after a couple dozen rounds. I don't enjoy the recoil like I did when I was younger.

When it comes to wheel guns I break it down to two categories, small concealable and major horse power. I don't trust or care for tiny semi-auto pistols so when it comes to the pocket carry size weapons I'll take a S&W 442/642. When it comes to a powerhouse I want a 44 magnum, for that role it's Ruger Redhawks and Super Redhawks.

Hard to beat a S&W Model 19 for pure shooting pleasure:

19c5-600x336.jpg

But I'd also go for one of these in a heartbeat:

Model 686
10664827.jpg

Or this Ruger GP100:

1773.jpg

Or maybe this would suit my fancy - Ruger Super Redhawk 10mm:

REDHAWK_SRH_04.jpg

I wouldn't argue against a Colt Diamondback tho:

437995102.jpg

Out of all the revolvers I've shot and owned. I'd say a single action in 22lr is probably still my favorite to shoot. However if I were to have a good priced opportunity on a double action in 22lr I'd say that's another good option. They make 9-10 shot cylinder 22s. Which is about the same as shooting a 10 round mag fed semi in 22.

My only other revolver is a SP101. It's a tank of a wheel gun and shoots nicely.

I have nothing against wheel guns. For some odd reason, I just don't own a single one. Lots of bolt actions, single shots but everything else takes a clip or a magazine. The first handgun I shot was a nickel plated .38 Police Special snub nose SW, which seems like the one to get for history's sake. BUT I don't have a desire to go to the range and plink away with it and I am not going to suddenly switch my EDC to it.

So for a wheel gun what would be the "fun" one to have? I mean fun to shoot. (If I own it, I shoot it) I also like to do my own reloading so I would roll my own for it too, so I can speed it up or slow it down as desired.

S&W K-22.
Affordable to shoot, fun to shoot, dead nuts accurateand a great gun to introduce friends and family into the world of handguns.
You will not wear it out, and it is guaranteed to retain it's value.
That is my .02 cents worth after shooting one for 50 years.

Best,
Gary

6" Smith 686

A .357 Magnum. Shoot cheaper lighter 38's for fun and .357's for defense or critters or defense.

I have an interesting revolver, a 3" Taurus 692. It's a Tracker so it's a full lug with a ported barrel.
Press the release and the crane & cylinder change out for a 9mm unit with moonclips.

However, my favorite revolver to shoot is a 6" stainless .357 Security Six.

I think a 4" .357 is a perfect size for the round.
As far as which .357, the Model 19 or 66 are sweet guns, any older Colt, GP100's are great, so there's those and more. But those spring immediately to mind.

If you aren't a revolver guy but you want one anyways. I would recommend a S&W 686. Five inches is probably the ideal barrel length but un-fortunately S&W mostly makes revolvers with either a 4" or 6" barrel so take your pick.

Lots of fun stuff out there cheap and spendy. But if you want to actually hit something farther than the other side of the porch, a 4" is great and more is good too but 6 or under draw wise.
Under 4 and over 6 moves you (in my opine) out of the fun zone, and into the serious side of things (nothing wrong with that) with more due diligence and concentration needed to prove,... something.

My first handgun was a Dan Wesson 357 with a 15" barrel. The barrel stuck through the holster and bumped on my knee as I walked. I got to hate the long barrel after a while but now I really wish I had kept it.

If you're looking for a centerfire revolver to shoot for fun, a full sized .357 magnum of whatever make and model suits you will be hard to beat. .38 Special ammo is cheap and easy to load, and you have the flexibility of magnum loads.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top