JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have always had a model 28 S&W in either 4 or 6 inch. I am not rough on my guns but this one doesn't have to babied. I might consider a 27 in the future.
Buddy inherited one of these, we shot it a couple of years ago, his dad never did.
Talk about a sweet shooter.

Holy thread Resurrection! Ok 2019 not too old

Yes I ended up with two wheel guns.

SW 686 with. 7" barrel .357
SW Chief special snub nose .38

The .38 is a copy of what my grandfather carried. It was to go to my sister but before she got it it was stolen. This was also the first handgun I ever shot.

I got the .357 so I could test loads I was working up for a few friends that could not get ammo. They had brass, projectiles were available and I had the rest in my stock. They have kept training these past 3yrs.

@oremike thank you for the offer!
Cool Beans! I happen to have he same two revolvers. Though my 686 'no-dash' is a 6" barrel. And the S&W Chief's Special is a pre Model 36. There's also the M-66 4", pre model 15 K-38 Combat Masterpiece 6" (grandpa's gun) and a model 19, 6".

Cool Beans! I happen to have he same two revolvers. Though my 686 'no-dash' is a 6" barrel. And the S&W Chief's Special is a pre Model 36. There's also the M-66 4", pre model 15 K-38 Combat Masterpiece 6" (grandpa's gun) and a model 19, 6".
Cool. The .357 quickly became a favorite of one of my boys. I think since it is so different from the other.... 1 or 2 guns I own. ;). The little .38 is fun remembering shooting with my grandfather. I sure remember that gun being way bigger than it really is. Probably has something to do with being 8 or 9 yrs old shooting it.

Hello @Helocat . I participated even though I realized the thread started in 2019. I figured in this era of focus on semi-autos your question would be of ongoing interest to others. Have you been shooting your 686? Do you enjoy it? Are you a handgun hunter? If so, for what? Has the 686 remained just a fun shooter, as you anticipated? Or become more?
@OldBroad44 , hello there! The 686 is a fun range toy and tool for testing reloading for a friend that shoots .38 . Yes it's enjoyable and every bit of fun as the first time I took it out. No not a handgun hunter. Just a hole in paper maker! I mainly got it for the load testing and the fix the no wheel guns in the lot. It has not replaced my EDC of a G48 or trail carry G20SF. But just last week had it out for a "never touched a gun" educational day I did for a person who is not a gun person. She was reluctant to shoot it at first but when she did the .38 loads in that heavy stainless steel package made it fun for her to shoot. (She started the day with suppressed .22LR shooting subs and worked up to that point) Overall it's a great firearm!

A range toy?

Consider a reproduction 1851 Colt Navy .36 caliber percussion revolver.

i had this same delimma except technically i do have a revolver...a little 22. anyway, i wanted a 357 mag so when a member here had a new ruger sp101 match champion for sale i HAD to have it.

problem solved :)

heres its first shots with my handloads. :)might have to change the quality to 480p in settings if the video is blurry

I call BS! I've seen your hands and that ain't you… your hands are WAY smaller than that, they're like tiny doll hands.

9E964BF5-C48D-4CAC-8A81-273AFB06C956.jpeg

;) :s0140:

GP100 .357 with a 5" barrel. Full underlug, great balance.

Very mild recoil with 38 specials, but can take deer when loaded with .357 thumpers.

Looking at pictures, I came across this Rhino. My old Dad would've loved this, since he had tattoos that spelled out "love" on one fist, and "hate" on the other. Plus, he loved gold, gaudy stuff.

I might have to get one for myself!

View attachment 627375
Your dad was a Sinaloa or Medellin Cartel member?

;):D

If someone already has all his handgun needs filled with semi autos and wants just one revolver that he intends only to shoot for fun but it should be something he could reload for. It doesn't need to be concealable or an EDC, since he has those niches covered.

One possible approach is to just go for any good quality top of its line 6" .357 mag in SW, Ruger, or Colt. A pre-lock SW 686 with a 6" barrel would be my choice. These are pleasant to shoot even with full magnum loads.

I think everyone should be able to defend themselves with either semi autos or revolvers in case they need to use someone else's gun. So if you teach someone to shoot handguns, you need at least one revolver, and a .357 is ideal for beginners when loaded with 38 special wadcutters. Either a .357 or a .44 mag might expand OP's niches into handgun hunting. The .357 is equivalent in power to the 10mm but can shoot more effective bullets, such as true bear loads with wide meplats--flat tips--with sharp edges. Bear loads for semi autos are more like a cross between a full bear load and a round nosed bullet. They have much smaller meplats with rounded edges so they can feed in semi-autos. Semi-autos can't shoot full wad cutters at all except as single shots.

Serious handgun hunters, whether hunting deer, hogs, bear or small game, will mostly be carrying revolvers. The double action revolver can be used DA in close range emergencies. But for long range, you can make use of the single action mode, and have a SA trigger pull that is only 2 or 3 lbs, and breaks totally cleanly. And has little overtravel. The only semi-autos with that quality of trigger pull are specialized SA target guns. These are problematic to use for SD because in an emergency adrenaline makes your muscles stronger and it is hard to tell how much pressure it will take to fire. Thats not so good if the bad guy tries to break off the attack and retreat, and you have to hold the gun on him without shooting him. For this reason, most SD semi-autos have triggers that are 5 lbs or heavier . Really clunky compared with the SA mode in a fine revolver.

In a SHTF scenario you may find a supply of .357 or .38 sp. ammo. Would be nice to be able to shoot it.
"In a SHTF scenario you may find a supply of .357 or .38 sp. ammo. Would be nice to be able to shoot it."
That's a big ten-four, good buddy! That's one of the big reasons Ive always kept a 4" .357 around thru thick and thin and regardless of my other pistol interests over the decades... Also it's easy/relatively less expensive to reload or outright buy ammo for... Been pondering a 8-shot Ruger Redhawk, but there haven't been any in the shops around my town.. and anyways I don't need another .357 in the safe...

"In a SHTF scenario you may find a supply of .357 or .38 sp. ammo. Would be nice to be able to shoot it."
That's a big ten-four, good buddy! That's one of the big reasons Ive always kept a 4" .357 around thru thick and thin and regardless of my other pistol interests over the decades... Also it's easy/relatively less expensive to reload or outright buy ammo for... Been pondering a 8-shot Ruger Redhawk, but there haven't been any in the shops around my town.. and anyways I don't need another .357 in the safe...
Everyone should have at least one rifle in 5.56, one pistol in 9mm, and one revolver in .357. If you're not a rifle person, a shotgun in 12ga would do nicely. Or even if you are. :)

I have always had a model 28 S&W in either 4 or 6 inch. I am not rough on my guns but this one doesn't have to babied. I might consider a 27 in the future.
Nope the S&W 28 doesnt have to be babied! I picked one up to shoot some seriously hot .357 loads that my brother made up for me years ago. Sure wouldnt put them thru my Python!
The 28 is my "woods gun" if my Redhawk .44 isnt on my hip...
Same with this guy. Very accurate plinker. PAX

View attachment 1306048
(not my picture)
I searched for a couple decades before I found one of those. Years ago, a friend let me go squirrel hunting with his and I was envious... Unfortunately, for what ever reason it has been a safe queen lo these many decades... One a those things a guy just hasta have but never really uses...

So for a wheel gun what would be the "fun" one to have? I mean fun to shoot. (If I own it, I shoot it) I also like to do my own reloading so I would roll my own for it too, so I can speed it up or slow it down as desired.
I cast my vote for a large bore Smith & Wesson N frame. .41 Mag, .44 Special, .45 Auto (Rim), .45 Colt. .44 Mag. if you can't find one of the less common loadings. Oh, and 10mm Auto.

Everyone should have at least one rifle in 5.56, one pistol in 9mm, and one revolver in .357. If you're not a rifle person, a shotgun in 12ga would do nicely. Or even if you are. :)
That really does cover all the real needs with maybe the exception of .22 lr. Recommend both a rifle and a pistol in .22 lr, varmint hunting or squirrel 🐿 dinners…

I would say everyone should have a hunting rifle, a self defense handgun, a shotgun, and a .22 rifle. Of course the correct number of guns is just one more but I'd offer that this is a good place to start.

I may get hate for this but my Taurus 692 that fires 9mm, 38 special, and 357 mag is one fun and versatile gun. Not sure I need another revolver. Though I'm fond of gigantic bores…

I may get hate for this but my Taurus 692 that fires 9mm, 38 special, and 357 mag is one fun and versatile gun. Not sure I need another revolver. Though I'm fond of gigantic bores…
If ya like Taurus........this is a good option too.

I couldnt justify the taurus cost as I have the 22 mag tracker in 6" already and several others in 22lr. I did get this one just for the hell of it @$300 what the heck...........

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top