JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like to use a revolver for first time shooters. I have a J frame with laser grips.

The shooter dry fires at 3 yards with 5 empty brass in the cylinder. When they can keep the dot in the bullseye on double action, I replace one of the brass with a live round.

Click. Click. Bang!

The first round they shoot is a bullseye.

Since I do not prefer a .22 revolver (long time owner of a Ruger Mki .22 auto, my first pistol really), my choice would be a model 66 Smith. It will take hottish .357's and eat a steady diet of .38 +P. Truthfully tho, my preference is some sort of auto, be it .22 LR, 9mmP, .45, or 10mm... But for the purposes of this thread, it would be the 66 Smith, probably. There is much to be said for the stainless firearms. That said, the .357 Ruger with the extra 9mmP cylinder might be useful. So many choices, aint liberty and free enterprise great and wonderful?!!!

Some version of a SA in .45 Colt with a long barrel. Fun to shoot, got some Old West flavor to it, load it with BP for additional S&G's. Knocks stuff down.

IMG_0896.jpeg

So for a wheel gun what would be the "fun" one to have? I mean fun to shoot. (If I own it, I shoot it) I also like to do my own reloading so I would roll my own for it too, so I can speed it up or slow it down as desired.

Pure fun to shoot? A big bore (.44 or .45) Ruger Vaquero or New Vaquero in stainless (easier to clean up black powder residue) shooting black powder cartridges.

a0MyNin.jpg

Single action Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero, they are built stronger than anything else, simple to maintain and the Blackhawks can take some serious horsepower rounds. Also even if you aren't into westerns or Cowboy Action Shooting it's still nice to pull leather on a quality single action that doesn't break the bank.

I'd go with a smith and Wesson model K38 combat masterpiece if I only wanted one.
My grandfather had one, it was stolen from me and pawned by a pos relative. It was the first handgun I ever shot and my gramps was deadly accurate with it into his 80's. He liked to shoot the nails out of the can lids we nailed up for targets just to laugh as we walked back to rehang them.

I used to be ALL about Revolvers, a 5 inch blued Colt Python .357 Mag being my absolute fav, but a Dan Wesson 6 inch .44 Mag was my second fav!
Now I carry a Pair of Ruger Old Armies that have been seriously modified ( don't try this at home kids) and these are stunningly powerful and accurate, very close to the top end of .44 mag power levels, and cool as hell! I'm looking to add a .36 cal version of the Colt First Model Side Hammer Vest pistol to the mix, should be a hoot, and a serious close in fighting piece, and also cool as heck to carry!
Funny thing, with all the semi auto hate that's going on in the world these days, a good ol fashioned wheel make more and more sense, and pair of big .44's in each hand sure makes a statement! It's all about the smoke and fire!:s0155:
Honorable mentions, a S&W Mod 10 or Mod 29/629 would fit the bill for me, with a nod toward the 629.
Any Ruger, especially the Super Red Hawk .44
A GP 101 .357
A Super Black Hawk in .44 or .45 Colt
A good First Model Colt Dragoon .44
A Colt Navy .44
Any Pre CZ Dan Wesson of at least .357 but prefer .44 Mag and stainless, Sexy!:cool:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top