JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Go look closer on the label of your chemicals
Most say it's a federal law to use it ONLY as stated on the label.
So use for self defense and commit a federal crime.
Your "victim " goes free and YOU get the fine
Well if being attached and you get away but get a fine?? I guess I would call that a win. Not that this stuff would be my choice but if someone insisted on carrying it for that the fine may beat becoming a victim.

I can hazily remember one night in my twenties when my mouth got ahead of my brain a bit in a tavern parking lot and three guys were coming up to my window to talk about the problem.

Thinking ahead to our escape and wanting them not to be able to follow us, I looked down and saw that 2 3/4 pound fire extinguisher on the transmission hump of my Blazer, reached down, pulled it up, tossed the pin and told them 3 guys to go f themselves and I was going to kick their azz.

They came right up to the rolled down window and I just fogged all three of them with that dry chemical and then threw it at them. Just takes your breath right away, they went nuts and I applied the gas and left that trouble spot.

Alternative, fairly harmless, and was good for a laugh as we scrammed out of there.

Im interested in hearing what kinds of non-lethal self defense gear you all are carrying.

I live on a farm, and have bear spray to deter beasts - or people (no, I haven't sprayed any of the Jehova's Witness folks who occasionally come by).

I also have a pocket-sized can of Mace that might come in handy if I'm trying to get away from a crowd of anti-Trump rioters.

Have thought about getting a taser, just not sure how much gear I want to be packing around.

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Have you ever had to use a taser, or Mace, or some other non-lethal self-defense gear?

Love the Bear Spray but it is horrible in the urban areas when used for dogs...it gets on the car door handle, the tools left out, the garbage can lid...then, gets in my eyes after I touch it three days later. NEVER use Mace on a dog...had a pit bull who attacked daily as I walked to work past his fenced yard. Thought I would nonchalantly give him a shot to see the reaction. I was so glad there was a steel fence between him and me...I'd have been dead. The mace just made him mad. He foamed at the mouth with several wires in his teeth and I later changed my path to work to avoid him as I am sure he would have remembered me. Taser was cumbersome and I don't like getting that close to an enemy because someone stronger would end up using it on me. It has been said, if you do not have the mace or pepper spray or taser in your hand when the criminal approaches you, do not reach for it because you will not be quick enough and you'll get it used on you. If you do grab the mace, you'd have to unlock it and make sure you are pointing it in the right direction which is way too long to think about. Firearms in the house need to be put in enough places so you would never have to run too far. Martial artists would say, have training enough so if you are in the shower, you could defend yourself. Unless you shower with a pistol in a holster. With all the training and preparation, the criminal has to come in and assault me according the way I had prepared for...If I'm 30' from my gun it won't help. In the kitchen, there are plenty of knives, hot water or coffee, cast iron skillets, hot sauce, rolled up news paper. In the garage there are mauls, axes, pool balls, WD40...anything could be used if you consciously prepare yourself to the potential of items around the house. Imagine a crowbar to the shin bone...

Years ago I used to deliver fuel to farms, commercial sites, etc. Some of those farms had dogs who loved me, and others who felt I was an intruder and to be treated like one. Some I carried biscuits for and others I had found that starting fluid worked real well at getting them to let me down off the tanks and reel my hose up and leave.

I then switched out the tops with a WD 40 with the straw on it and got about 15 foot stream out of it. I would imagine that alcohol / ether combination might repel a human problem as well.

After hitting them with that starting fluid one time, those dogs were getting up and leaving the area the minute they heard the jake brake on that truck pulling in the driveways.

This past spring Ruger had a sort of travel security kit consisting of a doorstop wedge that will trip a air horn and a spray canister of Pepper Gel. I went on three trips after getting it and forgot to take it all three times.

Im interested in hearing what kinds of non-lethal self defense gear you all are carrying.

I live on a farm, and have bear spray to deter beasts - or people (no, I haven't sprayed any of the Jehova's Witness folks who occasionally come by).

I also have a pocket-sized can of Mace that might come in handy if I'm trying to get away from a crowd of anti-Trump rioters.

Have thought about getting a taser, just not sure how much gear I want to be packing around.

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Have you ever had to use a taser, or Mace, or some other non-lethal self-defense gear?
I carry a small pepper spray. What scares me is the thought of someone approaching me on the street with a hidden weapon, knife or gun. If he pulled it out as we were face to face, it'd be too late for me to react with lethal force. But if someone were to walk toward me and I had a bad feeling about it, I'd be in a much better way legally pulling my pepper spray. I don't think you get into much brandishing trouble for a two oz pepper spray.

Sorry for reincarnating a dead post. but ive heard that wasp spray for killing bees is an excelent choice. Its cheap, available anywhere, has a good range (~25 feet) and as far as i know has no laws restricting it. Ive heard it is extremely effective.

My grandparents travel alot in a camper and didnt want to bring a gun. They keep a can with them to deter particularly nasty "bees"

Sorry for reincarnating a dead post. but ive heard that wasp spray for killing bees is an excelent choice. Its cheap, available anywhere, has a good range (~25 feet) and as far as i know has no laws restricting it. Ive heard it is extremely effective.

My grandparents travel alot in a camper and didnt want to bring a gun. They keep a can with them to deter particularly nasty "bees"

Nope.

Yes, I mentioned that long ago. It's good, and it sticks. Bear pepper spray is also an effective defense (the big can), as long as you get them with the first spray; especially if they have a gun.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top