JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im interested in hearing what kinds of non-lethal self defense gear you all are carrying.

I live on a farm, and have bear spray to deter beasts - or people (no, I haven't sprayed any of the Jehova's Witness folks who occasionally come by).

I also have a pocket-sized can of Mace that might come in handy if I'm trying to get away from a crowd of anti-Trump rioters.

Have thought about getting a taser, just not sure how much gear I want to be packing around.

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Have you ever had to use a taser, or Mace, or some other non-lethal self-defense gear?

I got a knife and I got a gun, when I walk the dog I add a 'hot-shot' it's a battery powered shocker device for animals, for next time I'm attacked, by javalina or dogs/ coyotes. I'm inside town
limits so I can't just shoot animals, only criminals:eek:

I keep pepper spray in the vehicles, a can of bear spray near the front door and on out of town trips, and an ASP "Tonya Knocker" in my truck. I keep the baton in plain view so its not a concealed weapon. I am always armed, even at home, and always carry a large, spring assist folding knife. Usually a Kershaw Blur, Tanto!
I might be considered heavily armed, but I live in inner NE PDX.

Bear spray will blind human eyes....extreme fear of bears for possession.....only tool you had while would be assailants scratch out their eyes... Maybe have warning label smudged....pick your poison just be prepared everybody is...to what ever degree
EYES AND EARS AND SWIVEL STEP WORKS FOR ME

That's fine, but no swivel step at my front door! :) I answered the door last night, after 8:00, to this skivy looking freak. Turns out he wanted donations for some tree hugger outfit, or so he said. I just growled "Not Interested" and closed the door in his face. Note that we have a security door, between me and the porch.
But, don't worry, no bear spray in my hand, a perfectly legal Beretta 92.

Last Edited:
Situational awareness and a good pair of study shoes that give me support or help me run!

Often when hiking I'll carry a stout walking stick.
Both of mine are homemade. They look good and non-threatening.

I also have a homemade Woodland Indian style war club , just for historical study.
Guessing that it would also give a headache of "historical proportions" if used as intended! :p
Andy

I have, and never have had any aversion to walking away. It's the wise thing to do! However, I have a strong aversion to letting my family or myself be harmed!
I keep the bear spray by the door for a SHTF issue! It was bought for bears in the Rockies, but WROL people can become more predatory "than the average bear!" :D

I usually have a cup a hot coffee in my hand. Just the way I roll.

mugatu-coffee-hot.gif

if I'm trying to get away from a crowd of anti-Trump rioters.

I wouldn't announce I'm pro Trump #1... in fact to blend into the hostile situation I might join the chanting (or crying as it seems to be to me).

Other the that I have 2 heavy hands and plenty of mass to use them to good effect - I'm no feather weight:p.

Other then that it's a knife and gun. If I'm threatened then I feel my life is at risk.

I've been considering a small thing of mace to clip to the dogs leash for other dogs but other then that I wouldn't carry it or a taser.

Big Mag light in a belt holster and a small can of mace in the front pocket for times when I simply cannot carry a side arm even CC! Other then that, I always carry! I like Andy's Idea, An old Indian Knocker made from a Stout tree branch with a Burl. I have several I have made into walking staff's and could probably make a short handled version for study purposes!:D:D:D

When I thought that this thread was about where to shoot the bad guy in a non-lethal way, I was all ready to advise you to shoot him [or her], in the foot, hopefully an ankle.

That'll do it for sure. It stings like he**, bleeds like crazy, and will stop the BG from being too interested in doing anything else for a while.

I can see, however, that you are not interested in giving the BG something else to think about after all. Spraying fragant aerosols around their ears - pepper, mace or whatever, is only going to work if you are close enough for a meaningful dose to be administered, ie, close-up and huggy. Meanwhile, the BG has pulled out something sharp and pointy and dropped the contents of your abdomen all over your feet.

Being THAT near to any stranger is not something that I'd permit under any circumstances.

As such, I can't help you. Sorry.

tac

I was all ready to advise you to shoot him [or her], in the foot, hopefully an ankle.

That's not good advice in the states - a lawyer will twist that to indicate you were not really afraid for your life and discharged your firearm anyway.

If your going to shoot, shoot center mass until the threat to your life stops.

In MY case, his ankle was all I could see. So I DID shoot for the centre-mass, it was just the centre-mass of his exposed foot.

However, I take your point.

BTW, a 7.62x51 NATO round from less than thirty yards an be a real attention-getter, trust me.

tac

The Taser, the real one not stun guns, is close to 100% effective. Carry one when working armed. Best money I ever spent as I have never had to use it. So many dobads are scared to death of them they stop at the sight. Before I bought the first one I had a few times I thought I would have to shoot someone. They were ready to test the gun. No one ever (so far) wanted to test the Taser. Talked to many LEO's who said they have had the same results. Now down side is most are single shot. You have to hit with both barbs or they do nothing. The M series are quite large, bigger than many hand guns. The C series are much smaller and easier to carry. The X series (most LEO's carry now) are nice and expensive still. One of my Tasers is with me if I think I need to confront someone at home but I have a gun too.
OC spray works GREAT on dogs. I carry it when walking mine. Have had to use it a few times on dogs. I don't want to have to hurt another dog since it's the owners fault but I am not going to allow my dogs to be bit. OC always has stopped the attack. A few times I came close to having to stop some irate owner who let their dog run loose. On humans it's totally unpredictable. I have seen grown large men fall to the ground screaming. I have seen them act like nothing happened other than pissing them off. Still have the scars on one arm where a drunk once sprayed attacked like a bull and bit me in the arm. A SAP dropped him like a sack of potatoes. So OC is very hit and miss. I do keep a nice CRKT assisted opener with me all the time. Be better than nothing I guess.

For handgun defensive shooting, other than center mass, the only place I've been practicing to shoot is the hip "girdle".

For an uber massive assailant, a meth head, or body armor, if center mass hasn't stopped them & I'm still alive. Breaking the hip will make the assailant unable to advance on foot.

I have been practicing more precise shots (i.e. head size), but I do not consider that defensive shooting practice do to the time to acquire.

Breaking the hip will make the assailant unable to advance on foot.

As ever, that comment reminds me of a story from the 'bad times' 'over the way'.

A patrol from 42 Royal Marine Commando had been taking fire from shooter in a copse situated just over the border in the republic, and, as you know, bullets don't need passports.

Having had the attention of twelve highly-p*ssed-off Royals directed at him for a few minutes, he decided to cut his losses and leg it. Sadly, this meant running up a hillside, exposed to view, for about a hundred yards or so before he reached the hill crest and safety.

With bullets pinging off his surroundings, he jinked as best as he was able to do so when a patrol of the PDF [Irish Army], approached from his flank.

The Royal Marine sergeant [from North Belfast, BTW], seeing this, and wanting the credit for the capture to go on HIS patrol log, rather than that of some oik bog-trotting Southerner, shouted out at the top of his voice - 'Stand still or I'll shoot!'

At least, that was he said he'd shouted. In fact, he'd actually shouted 'Stand still, ye little fe**er, and I'll shoot!'

In confusion at hearing a native North Belfast accent, he stood still, at which point the sergeant put a round through both hips, dropping him like a sack of s**t.

With luck, he'll have been a free man since the year 2000, but he DID have twelve years to recuperate.

tac

For handgun defensive shooting, other than center mass, the only place I've been practicing to shoot is the hip "girdle".

For an uber massive assailant, a meth head, or body armor, if center mass hasn't stopped them & I'm still alive. Breaking the hip will make the assailant unable to advance on foot.

I have been practicing more precise shots (i.e. head size), but I do not consider that defensive shooting practice do to the time to acquire.
Given the propensity of dobads to wear body armor now days this is wise indeed, and I practice this. The pelvic girdle makes a large target and it's not as hard to hit as the head. If the dobad is moving his head will bob a lot but the PG is still center. If you hit the pelvic they are going down no matter how doped up they are. They may still be able to fire but they are not running at you. If you hit high and gut shoot them you still miss the armor and even doped up they will most likely go down. Not to mention they are very unlikely to live and sue. Sad but if they were choosing to try to make you a victim tough for them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top