JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Never sweep a house alone = Cop mentality/Training

They show up...people are getting killed in side...call backup, call swat, establish communications, chuck in gas, find the K9 unit......officer safety first....

So I guess if your kids are getting hacked up down the hall your going to hide behind the bed, clutching your cell phone talking on the phone to dispatch?

Sorry, but a one size fits all doesn't work... I might barracade, I might escape and evade, I might take the fight to them...I think and make decisions based on the info at hand.....

Besides...I own a gun because when seconds count, the cops are minutes away...

I think most of us in that scenario would come out firing like enraged grizzly bears. What we're discussing is a situation where the wife and children are properly barricaded in a safe room and you are the defender, or you have only the wife to consider. You do have this prepared for your family, right? It's way more important than "havin a gun and blastin away". If the intruders are already inside, you may have no clue where they are, meaning you could have an unfortunate "face to face" that you will regret, if you survive it. Better to also barricade, or lay silently in wait [with cover] Make them come to you

Train your family, including the youngsters. Discipline

Now if they are in the process of breaking in my front or back doors, I will respond with the Mossberg, because I have cover and both entrances are hard targets

Most of the scenarios keep reinforcing the idea that I want at home where the bad guys had to 'find' my home..get past the gate, the flood lights, the dogs, the security doors...by that time I should have had time to make a cup of coffee, while watching them fending off the dogs, trying to kick the doors, watching them on video, while I calmy get my ninja suit and silenced .22.

Dan, that's good stuff, thanks.

I've posted on here several times that if I have such a break-in I'm not leaving my room unless someone sets the house on fire. I'm staying with my wife, and no one else lives here. (Might have to rethink that if I still had kids in other rooms.)

By the time the BG's get past the perimeter alarm, the outside motion lights, kick in a commercial grade door, alert both indoor dogs who will set up a commotion, figure out which stairs to use and which hallway to use, set off motion detector lights as they pass through rooms, and then get to me, I'm going to be wide awake and ready. I'm going to be in the dark and they are going to be well but dimly lighted if they are near my BR door.

I have nothing on the other floors or other rooms of the house that is worth dying for, or leaving my wife for. "Things" are what insurance is for.

Cliff

Got 2 kids, and the wife "doesn't think firearms need to exist" (she has many other redeming features... it's okay). The compromise is the .45 has a lock on it, and I have 2 loaded clips next to it. I've heard the argument that "what good is a locked gun if someone brakes into the house?" I figure, I'd rather have a locked gun, then no gun at all. I'm working on her though. The AR just migrated in from my fathers house. The tough thing for me, though, is how to address the balance between having kids and guns both in the house. the oldest kid just turned 10, and I bought him a Marlin 915Y two weeks ago. He'll turn out nice and conservative.... :) ps. f

Heres an idea;

Get a small, cheap safe or locking pistol case....the kind they have at Walmart for $20 or $30. Put a couple of paperback books in it, and leave it in plain sight near your bed. Bolt it into the wall or to the nightstand to complete the illusion.

Keep your loaded pistol in the bottom of a wastebasket on the floor next to your bed. Cover it up with some wadded-up Kleenex, feminine-hygiene wrappers, or other waste paper.

If a burglar gets into your house he will spend his time and energy trying to break into the safe or, if you are lucky, he will just pry it off the wall and leave with it. The books inside the safe will rattle around and simulate the weight of a gun.

Your pistol will be safe and easily accessible, and a would-be-thief will get away with a $30 safe and a couple of garage sale books.

Heres an idea;

Get a small, cheap safe or locking pistol case....the kind they have at Walmart for $20 or $30. Put a couple of paperback books in it, and leave it in plain sight near your bed. Bolt it into the wall or to the nightstand to complete the illusion.

Keep your loaded pistol in the bottom of a wastebasket on the floor next to your bed. Cover it up with some wadded-up Kleenex, feminine-hygiene wrappers, or other waste paper.

If a burglar gets into your house he will spend his time and energy trying to break into the safe or, if you are lucky, he will just pry it off the wall and leave with it. The books inside the safe will rattle around and simulate the weight of a gun.

Your pistol will be safe and easily accessible, and a would-be-thief will get away with a $30 safe and a couple of garage sale books.

Reminds me of a guy I knew in the National Guard, he kept a pair of "tighty whities" complete with pee stains, a brown streak and full of holes. He would put these on the top of his ruck sack, duffle bag or whatever he wanted to keep safe. Nasty, yes but worked like a charm.

Reminds me of a guy I knew in the National Guard, he kept a pair of "tighty whities" complete with pee stains, a brown streak and full of holes. He would put these on the top of his ruck sack, duffle bag or whatever he wanted to keep safe. Nasty, yes but worked like a charm.

You are a pervert. :D :D :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads