JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That surprises me. Not saying you are wrong just surprising.

One more quick question, if you don't mind. Did you send the CLEO notification off as soon as you applied or wait until you are approved?

They send a confirmation email when you submit your eform the includes the filled out CLEO copy, as well as a document to send in with your fingerprint cards to the ATF.

I sent out the CLEO copy and the fingerprint cards a day or two after I submitted the efile.

They don't send one physically. It's just the PDF.

As for Tomahawks issue, I suggest updating adobe, its probably a newer format of PDF that isn't opening properly.
Via Prince law offices...
. 27 CFR 479.162, under the title, Stamps Authorized, provides

Adhesive stamps of the $5 and $200 denomination, bearing the words "National Firearms Act," have been prepared and only such stamps shall be used for the payment of the transfer tax and for the tax on the making of a firearm. (emphasis added)

Seems pretty clear to me. Only adhesive stamps can be utilized. The translucent electronic stamps are not the adhesive stamps that have been prepared. They aren't even adhesive!

So what does this mean? It means that ATF has to comply with the law (it wrote by the way) and issue paper copies of ALL approved forms requiring a "tax stamp" with an adhesive NFA stamp.

Some may inquire as to why I am concerned with this and there are several issues. While I believe it may constitute a crime under the Tax Code, as it is NOT a valid stamp that they have been inserting on the forms, my concern stems from the translucent appearance of the approved eForm. What law enforcement officer is going to believe that it is real? I will bet that any LEO, not aware of this issue, and being presented with a printout of an approved ATF eForm will believe it to be a forgery and proceed to arrest the individual for not only possession of an unregistered NFA firearm but also making false statements to law enforcement, forgery, counterfeiting government documents…and the list goes on. This was extremely ill-conceived on ATF's part and needs to be rectified immediately.

If you have received an approved electronic eForm, I would suggest contacting the NFA Branch. If they refuse to issue you a paper copy, I would suggest contacting your Congressional Leaders, as ATF is violating the law it wrote….

Well, I only take a copy of my older paper originals with me out shooting, its no different than a pdf copy.

I also think it is strange not to send a physical one.
An ATF tax stamp is a physical stamp. An electronic facsimile of a stamp is just too easy to forge or alter. The whole pdf form can be copy/pasted to anyone and all information can be gundecked. I'm not trying to be a naysayer , but a physical tax stamp is not easily altered or copied.

While I think I understand what you are saying Tomahawk, from the research I have done so far, I don't think they are going to send you a physical stamp. I am not saying they won't if you request it but it doesn't appear they are doing it for every e-file stamp that is approved.

I also agree with turbo-vanner that I am not taking originals of any of my stamps with me when I go out. I do understand your point about not having an original with a physical stamp but the copy I take with me is going to pretty much look the same whether it is a copy of a physical stamp or a PDF. Yes, if you want to get technical, it would be just as easy to manipulate a copy of an original physical stamp as it would a PDF stamp.

I am not an expert on any of this but I am trying to learn so any facts that people have are appreciated.

An ATF tax stamp is a physical stamp. An electronic facsimile of a stamp is just too easy to forge or alter. The whole pdf form can be copy/pasted to anyone and all information can be gundecked. I'm not trying to be a naysayer , but a physical tax stamp is not easily altered or copied.

So Tomahawk, did you request a physical stamp?

Yes , through the efile site on my log-in page. I'll let you know what they say.
I'm still getting this lower engraved Fri, we'll see what happens. I want a real stamp like the others I paid 200$ each for.

Excellent. I'm curious to see what happens. Although it sounds like we will all be waiting for the shut down to end before anything is done.

Yep, you just know that tax stamps got shelved while the shutdown is happening. Plus they'll be shelved until any and everything else that got shelved by the shutdown is taken care of first.:rolleyes:

Yep, you just know that tax stamps got shelved while the shutdown is happening. Plus they'll be shelved until any and everything else that got shelved by the shutdown is taken care of first.:rolleyes:
Yep. Didn't even consider this until today. Not that I have any sort of love affair with the government but everything is set up to run through government workers as of now, so hopefully he ends this crap soon.

Well, I only take a copy of my older paper originals with me out shooting, its no different than a pdf copy.

I also think it is strange not to send a physical one.

You don't need to take copies of the stamps with you anywhere, just keep the originals in the safe. ATF does have to send a physical stamp. A downloaded copy is not sufficient to buy.

You don't need to take copies of the stamps with you anywhere, just keep the originals in the safe. ATF does have to send a physical stamp. A downloaded copy is not sufficient to buy.

Can you explain further? Why would you not want to have a copy of your stamp with you when out with an NFA item? Do you know for a fact that the Form 1 e-File stamps are coming back as a physical stamp?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top