JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nope, first time. I've been approved for 556, 308, and 458. Getting all my parts from DM. If I listen to the folks over at the F1 silencer forum, they should perform similarly to factory cans. I've got an octane 9 already, after these three are fine I doubt I'll get more. A lot of times when I shoot I want the noise. ;) if I build another, it'll be a reflex type can. We'll see.

I'm curious as to how to best engrave my Glock 17 SBR. The ATF regs aren't too polymer friendly. Not too worried since legally I don't have to UNTIL I'm ready to sell it (a day that will never come). They did my SBR last summer. Couldn't speak highly enough of them.

IMG_3098.JPG IMG_6760.JPG

I'm curious as to how to best engrave my Glock 17 SBR.

Bottom of the trigger guard. Bye did my 34 there. That said, the polymer glock uses doesn't engrave very well and Bye doesn't like doing them very much because the end result isn't as clean looking as when they do metal stuff or even CZ polymers. I would recommend googling around a bit too see if laser engraving is more viable. I talked to bye about this and they said some polymers engrave great with lasers, and others basically melt. Unless you want them to experiment on your gear, I would see what I could learn on Google first, then see if they can't replicate it with their laser set up. I know nothing about laser engraving, but I presume that there are different types / intensities etc.

Bottom of the trigger guard. Bye did my 34 there. That said, the polymer glock uses doesn't engrave very well and Bye doesn't like doing them very much because the end result isn't as clean looking as when they do metal stuff or even CZ polymers. I would recommend googling around a bit too see if laser engraving is more viable. I talked to bye about this and they said some polymers engrave great with lasers, and others basically melt. Unless you want them to experiment on your gear, I would see what I could learn on Google first, then see if they can't replicate it with their laser set up. I know nothing about laser engraving, but I presume that there are different types / intensities etc.
Laser engraving won't meet the depth requirements by the ATF. I'm just not going to bother since it isn't required unless selling the gun.

Yep, he just bumped his prices up. Said his expenses are going up and he didn't have a choice. First time he did SBRs for me several years ago it was $25/ea!

Doubt it. Supply and demand he is probably the only place that does receiver engraving. He mentioned that he has been doing a lot of firearms lately. Oh well it is what it is...

Seems it's matter of perspective I guess.
A couple of pizzas, drinks with a decent tip delivered to your house is around this price and how long does that last.
They do quality work that's a permanent fixture to your special toy.
All in all, I think they're spot on price wise considering what it cost to do business in Portland.

Guess I should chime in. Just had my first SBR receiver engraved at BYE this week. Did amazing work (pictures are just after I cold blued the engraving). The result was ideal; exactly what I was looking for for my MP5:
wectAEP.jpg
And a closeup of the same picture:
28oJ3kn.jpg

I did indeed pay $40. That price is worth it for the quality of work IMO. He said he used to charge less but Darla told him he can't charge so little anymore so he went from $30 to $40.

If you're interest in a little history he will tell you all about how he and his dad had the contract to engrave Boeing's airliner flight controls before they moved it in-house with lasers. Pretty interesting stuff.

Guess I should chime in. Just had my first SBR receiver engraved at BYE this week. Did amazing work (pictures are just after I cold blued the engraving). The result was ideal; exactly what I was looking for for my MP5:
That's exactly what I'm going to do for my MP5 when/if the stamp ever arrives. Yes, I know that I could have the engraving done before the stamp comes, but I'd rather get the stamp first.

I also plan to have all my stamps in hand before I engrave stuff. I think the practice of engraving first and submitting an approval second came from the AR-15 world of $50 receivers. If an engraving got screwed up, just toss it and file with a different one. The only thing I ensured before I submitted my SBR Form for my MP5 was that the function was flawless.

Nope, first time. I've been approved for 556, 308, and 458. Getting all my parts from DM. If I listen to the folks over at the F1 silencer forum, they should perform similarly to factory cans. I've got an octane 9 already, after these three are fine I doubt I'll get more. A lot of times when I shoot I want the noise. ;) if I build another, it'll be a reflex type can. We'll see.

I was over at the English pit the other day and met a guy that was running a home brew can. It actually sounded decent. He seemed to have no issues with it other than an inconsistent POI shift, but that could have been many things.
So the idea of serializing a suppressor tube would leave a guy completely open to baffle changes, caliber changes, and so on. I'm thinking about trying it out, at least sending in the form 1 so that I can experiment a little.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top