JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Jk in all fairness, a true angler knows when and what to use where. Over specialize and you breed in weakness.

I wouldn't consider a fly rod the best method for salmon on the lower Columbia. It may be more fun and give you cool points, but it doesn't always produce more fish.

I will say this for advice, start with small fish on light gear and work your way up. Helps you to learn how to read water and behavior. It will change as you progress to bigger fish in various waters, but at least you'll have something to start with.

Lmao you can't blame me for having more skill. I wouldn't sweat it too much anyway, better fishing out east. Expecting fly fishermen not to huff and puff is like expecting a restoration mechanic not to drive around their vintage car on a nice day. My friend compared them to dog food, and I don't disagree.

Singing my tune blaming the dams.

Hence the term "quick release"
I'm just in it for the bite and the fight myself. Tho, hatchery fish should be kept in most cases. I'm a sort of fish eugenicist. LoL

I've seen those guys, and not to seem like a narc, but they tempt me to call some LEOs down. Snaggers and poachers are POS.

More skill than what? :p

I don't sweat. I don't give a sh*t.

Yep, fly fishers huff and puff... that's about all they are good for. :rolleyes:

Restoration mechanics are like dog food? o_O

Yeah, I thought you'd like that tune.

Why should hatchery fish be kept? If I don't keep them, they wind up in the trap at the hatchery and get processed. Kinda like dog food.

You can't fool me Flymph, all steelhead flyworkers are snaggers!!! Get a job so you can afford bait!!! ;):eek:o_O:p:D

Hey, according to the FDA it's better than Taco Bell!
It's a method of productively utilizing the remains of pest control!
Sorry I developed past putting beads on a stick, I won't hold it against you. AND I DON'T NEED SOME FANCY NEW FANGLED REEL TO CAST MY LURE FOR ME!

Sorry OP
Sometimes we gear guys and Fairy Wanders have to "communicate".
ditto
See what I mean tho, THEY'RE BARBARIANS!
I'm sorry these Frenchie bait slingers brought this about.

I dont know exactly what happened there... BUT... Back to the point... All really good advice. One thing i have learned and found is that I have a problem with my crankbait. When i throw my spinners or spoons i can feel them spinning out in the current on the line... i can feel my cranks when reeling in but i definitely have a problem with them out in the current. i dont feel them wiggling when they have been plunked with my 3 way swivel. I will have to look and see what size they are but i got the smallest ones i could find. I might have an issue with my set up i think. Have some days off of work coming up. I think i will try to head up by the dam on the cowlitz and give it a go.

It's a battle that's been raging for about 200 years now. Spin casters are only about 70 years into the argument now. It's a flies vs. gear thing, just a matter of pride. Fly fishing is 400ish yo, bait casters 200 yo... big deal with classism back in the day. Usually just good fun to banter back and forth now days.
Again, apologies.

Sounds like you should be using a sliding weight. Attach a leader to a swivel and your weight, then put the swivel on the main line. Attach a swivel with leader to the bait/lure. Make sure the bait leader has a big enough swivel to stop the weight swivel from going down your line. That's sort of how drift guys rig up, same with sturgeon from what I gather. YouTube has videos I'm sure. I would ditch the 3 way swivels unless you're tying to dropshot. Really, I never use 3way swivels. Tho they're good for getting tippets away from the main line which is attached to your weight. Barrel swivels are the way to go. Also, I think drop shot is against salmon regs now (so don't do that). I use dropshot for catfish and crappie all the time tho, works great for surf perch too.

I just went back through the regs to check and make sure. There is nothing in the regs pamphlet that says no drop shot. (Not it isnt there. But i didnt find it)

Check page 18 for a good diagram. Instead of attaching the weight to that swivel, put a second swivel on and run the main line through it. Probably a good idea to use beads and stuff too. Keeps ware off of your knots.
Maybe they changed it again, but it was a huge deal about the time the CRBE came about.
Drop shot was an issue because of snaggers, so they banned the rigging.

I dont know exactly what happened there... BUT... Back to the point... All really good advice. One thing i have learned and found is that I have a problem with my crankbait. When i throw my spinners or spoons i can feel them spinning out in the current on the line...
Spoons and spinners are better adapted to river fishing than crankbaits especially when casting.
Crankbaits (plugs) do have their place in river fishing, however.

i can feel my cranks when reeling in but i definitely have a problem with them out in the current. i dont feel them wiggling when they have been plunked with my 3 way swivel. I will have to look and see what size they are but i got the smallest ones i could find. I might have an issue with my set up i think. Have some days off of work coming up. I think i will try to head up by the dam on the cowlitz and give it a go.
A plunked crankbait is not a good plan.
You're not getting feedback at your rod tip because in plunking mode, the rod is already loaded.
There are better baits to use when plunking.

Crankbaits for river fishing...
Commonly referred to as "plugs" among salmon/steelhead fisherman.
The most common methods:

1) Backtrolling behind a drift boat or sled
The plug is attached to the mainline via a Duolock snap with NO WEIGHT
The diving capability of the plug is what gets it to depth
The boat is slowly backed down river with the plugs working 60-100 feet below the boat

2) Side Planer
This is a device invented by Buzz Ramsey and Luhr Jensen that allows the bank angler to fish
a plug similar to the way boat fisherman can

2) Casting Plugs
There are a few specialized weighted plugs that are designed for casting.
Hot Shot SE is one of those.
I have never been a fan of casting plugs in a river setting.
I think that spinners and spoons are far more effective.

Also there are only a few plug designs that get much play in the salmon/steelhead community.
And of those, only a few are "swimmers".
Those are those precious plugs that have teeth marks on them. Need I say more ?

I have a box full of plugs and only a few are swimmers.
Not a huge fan of plugs, but I do fish them out of the boat on lunch breaks.

Best way to get on the fast track to salmon/steelhead success is to learn Float and Jig fishing techniques.
It's not for everyone, but it is very, very effective.
You will see guys all summer long on the Cowlitz using that method.

Last Edited:
Hey, according to the FDA it's better than Taco Bell!
It's a method of productively utilizing the remains of pest control!
Sorry I developed past putting beads on a stick, I won't hold it against you. AND I DON'T NEED SOME FANCY NEW FANGLED REEL TO CAST MY LURE FOR ME!

ditto
See what I mean tho, THEY'RE BARBARIANS!
I'm sorry these Frenchie bait slingers brought this about.

Now ya done done it and had to bring in the Caveman to the scuffle, don't dare put down my preference for lunch/supper/dinner.... Taco Bell is swell. I am a caveman and I sling bait...:eek::eek::eek::eek::p

BTW... When I mentioned salmon are easier to learn on than steelhead, I forgot all about coastal springer salmon. They are so hard to catch that you really need a good guide to get you started. And to get you over the fish holding water.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top