JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
gotta nice something on the line today. It wasnt a trout or a salmon or a steelhead. It was fairly angular kinda greenish silver in color a set of slightly raised nostrils and angular. About 24" long i would say. Any ideas? Couldnt find anything in the game pamphlet. Shoulda taken a picture but i threw it back since i didnt know what it was and i only kill what i eat. (crows and other pests after my garden... Thats another story.) fun fish. Fiesty just the way i like em. Im fishing the mouth of the kalama. I will get a picture on the next one.

Last Edited:
gotta nice something on the line today. It wasnt a trout or a salmon or a steelhead. It was fairly angular kinda greenish silver in color a set of slightly raised nostrils and angular. About 24" long i would say. Any ideas? Couldnt find anything in the game pamphlet. Shoulda taken a picture but i threw it back since i didnt know what it was and i only kill what i eat. (crows and other pests after my garden... Thats another story.) fun fish. Fiesty just the way i like em. Im fishing the mouth of the kalama. I will get a picture on the next one.

Sounds like a squawfish or a whitefish.
This?

f35a6581173e2c12ba1d2092a206c116.jpg
Or this?

whitefish_lake.png

Coulda been a barracuda. :p

Hey, any wiggle on the line is too fun! A 24" fish is more fun than a 3" fish!!!!:D

You will catch bunches of squawfish whenever you are fishing on the bottom. I'm just surprised you found one at the mouth where the salt and fresh water mix. Didn't know they could do that.

I guess you can eat them, but since they are a member of the carp family they might be better suited as garden fertilizer. Although many people just throw them on the bank to help reduce the population. Of course, if you are fishing the Columbia and the fish is over 9", you could be throwing away $5-$500. :eek:

Last Edited:
You have to register that day before you catch said fish. Depending on where I am, I toss them up to the bank. They are a native fish after all, and they have their place in the ecosystem. They're also protected some places... LoL
You figure what you want to do with them, but catching the bounty can feed your family of fuel a hobby or two. Some guys get 100k a year, and they probably catch salmon too!

It's funny, I only catch them while fishing for bass, I go out for a bounty and only catch bass or perch. Same thing with whitefish, I go out Czech nymphing for whitefish, all I catch is trout.
They're a weird fish and mostly seem to come about when you don't want them. Idk what these guys think, but I don't believe they reside in the same water that salmon hold in. Unless salmon are trapped by some sort of barrier... cough... DAMS... cough...

Trying out a drop shot rig with an overhand knot and a power worm. Thoughts? Freaking windy today.
I dunno....sounds like you are fishin' for Ditch Pickles in Texas.
Have you gone up to the fast water ?

I have busted steelhead in the North Lewis using a 6" Power Worm....pumpkinseed color.
You thread it like a live crawler and peg a small Corky above the worm.
You peg a Corky with the point of the toothpick facing the reel (you peg UP, not down).
Use the toothpicks with the long, gradual taper only.
Leave a 3/16" space between the worm and the Corky.
The Corky protects the worm from getting "pushed down".....as soon as the worm gets pushed down, it starts spinning and you are out of business.
For summer I like a black Corky like the Alien pattern (black with green dots).

The hook I like for this is an Owner Cutting Point size 4 (small hook but strong) and when threaded correctly it is dangling just clear of the curl tail of the worm.
Steelhead will whack these pretty good.....maybe not as hard as a spinner hit.

Typical 3 foot + leader and slinky on slider for weight.
Driftfish it like a Corky.....milk the end of the swing and be ready for a whack when you go to reel up for the next cast.

You will almost never see anyone rigged this way but it is deadly at times.
Just imagine that 6" worm presented nice and straight through the drift with that little tail swimming.....swing that in front of Mr. Big sometime and see what happens next.

You need to be in faster water for this to work.

Edit:
A "Prawn Threader" which is like a long needle works best for me when threading plastic worms.
If you want a nuclear bait, thread a whole nightcrawler, but use an actual "worm threader". Plug your ears so you don't hear the worm screaming.
It's a difficult rigging that holds the crawler STRAIGHT, but when Mr. Big gets on a crawler he simply cannot leave it alone.
You must keep this rig from spinning and that comes with the complicated rigging.
Do not use this rig if smolts are present.

Last Edited:
OWNER makes the best hooks. Started using them for bass. Now I use them for everything.
Sometimes barbs get in the way. If you're crimping barbs, make sure you file them down so nothing gets in the way.
Drifting worms along undercut banks can produce well, I'm surprised to hear it isn't popular.

@bbbass i call that a quick release. Bass are better eating anyway, unless you have time to smoke salmon. LoL
Hope you can get to some bass soon. I'm stuck with the dilemma that I have bass near me, but I'd be crazy to eat them. Still fun anyway!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top