JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@bbbass i call that a quick release. Bass are better eating anyway, unless you have time to smoke salmon. LoL

Hope you can get to some bass soon. I'm stuck with the dilemma that I have bass near me, but I'd be crazy to eat them. Still fun anyway!

Bass, yes, agree that the flavor is the best!! If you ever get to the east coast, you gotta try bluefish and striper, fab!!

Ummm, mercury?

Stripas are one of the best eating fish.
That was their downfall on the East Coast....the restaurants wanted them and the commercials over-fished them.
For me, Blues are more fun to catch than to eat.

We were off of Old Saybrook a few years ago and ran into some Blues that were chasing bait near the surface.
I started chucking iron and had a great time with them.
They attack like an incoming torpedo.....you see the whole thing in that clear water and near the surface.

Mercury or whatever floats down from Umatilla! I'd rather not find out too much of the specifics, but I know there is radioactive material from spent fuel rods. Scary to think what else could be in that water knowing some of what they have put there.

Yeah, I'll have to chase some stripers one of these days. Trying to convince the missus to honey moon in the Bahamas instead of Hawaii. I want to chase some bone fish and tarpon.

Stripas are one of the best eating fish.
That was their downfall on the East Coast....the restaurants wanted them and the commercials over-fished them.

For me, Blues are more fun to catch than to eat.

We were off of Old Saybrook a few years ago and ran into some Blues that were chasing bait near the surface.
I started chucking iron and had a great time with them.
They attack like an incoming torpedo.....you see the whole thing in that clear water and near the surface.

I think blues taste a lot like bass, but not exactly.

I was stationed in Elizabeth City NC from 1977-78. We had some stripers in the river but they were a chore to catch compared to largemouth. One weekend I went to the coast with some bloodworms to fish off the pier and saw a huge cloud of seagulls chasing anchovie boils coming up out of the water. Saw a few blues jump so I went back to the car and got my bass pole with a coupla Rapalas. Waded out to my waist, I didn't know they attack/bite bathers :cool:, and cast out. Holy moly, what a ride. Big rips horizontally back and forth. Thought it was going to spool me (bass reel). Got it to shore in ten or fifteen and couldn't get the lure out of it's teeth. Finally left it in and put the other Rap on. Followed the school a bit downshore and got several more this way until the school followed the bait back out. 5 in total. I was hooked!!! 20lb blues!! But soooo many bluefish vehicles on the sand following most schooling onshore fish. They were festooned with rod racks and coolers for the fish. Not to mentioned "hold my beer". Loved all the fishing there. But sigh, my next station was San Diego... what a bummer. ;)

Mercury or whatever floats down from Umatilla! I'd rather not find out too much of the specifics, but I know there is radioactive material from spent fuel rods. Scary to think what else could be in that water knowing some of what they have put there.

Yeah, I'll have to chase some stripers one of these days. Trying to convince the missus to honey moon in the Bahamas instead of Hawaii. I want to chase some bone fish and tarpon.

Oh, I've eaten Columbia bass from Irrigon down to the bridge past 3-mile. Ruined an expensive prop there too. Health is overrated if it keeps you from eating yumyums. lol. Walleye must be worse because of all the heavy metals that sink to the bottom.

My folks lived in Tarpon Springs FL. Always wanted to catch some bonefish or tarpon on a feather caster but all they had was sea trout. Bottom fish if one went out farther.

Honeymoon? Gotta be Bali man. Or Fiji, Palau, do some scuba.

Yeah, last time I went back east was pretty cool, I went to Kansas and fished kill creek reservoir... hooked into some 2lb and 3lb bluegill. Some had some warmouth in them or something like that, that was a lot of fun. I can only imagine how much fun some of the other species over there are.

I'll have to be sure she can swim, she is currently in the process of learning. No bother, it's a wading game for me. LoL great suggestions tho!

No wonder... you eat radioactive bass! LoL
I'd probably eat one from around that area too, but 3 mile is cutting it close!

Catch any fish yet?

Yeah, last time I went back east was pretty cool, I went to Kansas and fished kill creek reservoir... hooked into some 2lb and 3lb bluegill. Some had some warmouth in them or something like that, that was a lot of fun. I can only imagine how much fun some of the other species over there are.

I'll have to be sure she can swim, she is currently in the process of learning. No bother, it's a wading game for me. LoL great suggestions tho!

No wonder... you eat radioactive bass! LoL
I'd probably eat one from around that area too, but 3 mile is cutting it close!

Catch any fish yet?

Sounds wonderful. But Kansas is back East? ... My family is from Connecticut and upstate New York... Yankee country. That's back east.

Throw her overboard. Everybody gotta swim.

Those rads give it a crispy texture. Almost no need to cook it. Besides uncooked metabolizes the heavy stuff into the human system better.

Just got the wife her fishing lic today. Maybe soon. Pissed at my usual fishing buddy for too much NPR talking points. Can't get him to lay off the attack mode. Tired of it.

LOL
Former Baystater here.
I hear the Conns call us Ma$$holes now.

:)

Ah. Cape Cod was available as a duty station but San Diego was closer to home. Barbers Point HI was available to. Shoulda gone I think.

My Mom still has a Boston accent and she's 93. :) All those yanks sound the same. Cept Vermont is more pronounced - BTW they hate everyone.

I guess it's the farthest east I've been. Anything east of the Rockies is back east to me, honestly.
Ya think that will work tho? I've considered it, like maybe she is faking and just doesn't want to get wet.

I'll have to try some heavy metal rad bass, especially if they're crispy and precooked. I hate waiting to get home to fry them up!

yeah, as cultural as I get is collecting some rare exotic specimen to add to my collection, or getting takeout. HAH

Denver is in the Rockies tho, so at least I know that much, Mr. Cultured...

yeah, as cultural as I get is collecting some rare exotic specimen to add to my collection, or getting takeout. HAH

Denver is in the Rockies tho, so at least I know that much, Mr. Cultured...

Soooo, you're a kidnapper?

And no, Denver is on the back side of the Rockies. Down on the valley floor. Not IN the Rockies. Jeez man!!!!

Last Edited:
Looks a lot like it's still in the hills to me, yo. Either way, Colorado has the Rockies in it, so it can't be entirely east of the Rockies, even if most of the state is in the plains.

I'm more of a serial killer, really... lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads