JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It was my fault. I am saw my line downstream, and saw the fish jump upstream. I decided to walk downstream, but thought it wise to bring the net. He wiggled free when I was was messing around trying to grab the net.

He hit a pink blue fox spinner in the second or third cast after switching from a corky. I've got some salmon roe that I'll try later when it arrives this week.
Do you wade out into the water? I always kept the net clipped to my wading belt on a tether.

It was my fault. I am saw my line downstream, and saw the fish jump upstream. I decided to walk downstream, but thought it wise to bring the net. He wiggled free when I was was messing around trying to grab the net.

He hit a pink blue fox spinner in the second or third cast after switching from a corky. I've got some salmon roe that I'll try later when it arrives this week.
It may be hard to wrap your head around this, but most of the time a net is not needed when bank fishing.
You eyeball for a good spot to land on the bank, then lead the played out fish onto that spot.
One exception....
If you are fishing off of a "ledge" or if there is no shallow water, a net is needed because it's very much like being in a boat.

So a net is actually a liability when bank fishing under most conditions.
You can operate a net by yourself from a boat, but on the bank you're volunteering for a giant cluster if you try to do it all yourself.
And we're talking large fish here.
Toy fish, you can net yourself, almost anywhere, anytime.

I normally like to fishfight with a "low stick" to make him drag all my line around and it seems to defeat headshakes better.
But around boulders you want to fight with a "high stick" to have a better chance at not getting "rock wrapped".
One exception here...
If he jumps and especially if he's headshaking, you don't want to maintain a high and tight stick.
You have to lower your rod to ease up on the pressure.

That is hard to do for the new guy, because your brain is telling you to "bring him home to Papa" and that doesn't equate with lightening up on the pressure.
Why do this ?
Because it's easier for him to break you or throw the hook if you maintain a high and tight stick while he's headshakiing.

He wrapped himself in a rock underwater. The water is pretty shallow at the shore, but I don't like dragging the fish on the rocks if I have to throw him back.

He wrapped himself in a rock underwater.
[/QUOTE]
Yep those are the ones.
High stick to try to keep him from augering in.

The water is pretty shallow at the shore, but I don't like dragging the fish on the rocks if I have to throw him back.
Yep good idea to not drag a fish to be released over the rocks.
Eye damage can happen.

Sand shrimp worked well in the waters I used to fish.
Sand shrimp work great for pinks in the river up here .
Pinks are a lazy fish .
Don't like chasing stuff so a sand shrimp and a spinning float work great.
As for coho and Chinook they like to chase there food.
That's why if you want to get your wife or girlfriend or kids interested in salmon fishing.
TAKE THEM FISHING FOR PINK SALMON.
The bad thing is they only run up the river every other year odd years.
THIS YEAR WAS GREAT ON THE SKAGIT RIVER. PXL_20210901_030700276.MP.jpg PXL_20210901_185439707.MP.jpg

I caught and landed a native coho jack, which I had to throw back. Good times though, I thought he was a sucker until he tried to run.

IMG_20210929_171147560.jpg

I normally like to fishfight with a "low stick" to make him drag all my line around and it seems to defeat headshakes better.
But around boulders you want to fight with a "high stick" to have a better chance at not getting "rock wrapped".
One exception here...
If he jumps and especially if he's headshaking, you don't want to maintain a high and tight stick.
You have to lower your rod to ease up on the pressure.

That is hard to do for the new guy, because your brain is telling you to "bring him home to Papa" and that doesn't equate with lightening up on the pressure.
Why do this ?
Because it's easier for him to break you or throw the hook if you maintain a high and tight stick while he's headshakiing.
Listen to this guy, that's how I used to fight fish and I brought home fish more often than stories. ;)

Sand shrimp work great for pinks in the river up here .
Pinks are a lazy fish .
Don't like chasing stuff so a sand shrimp and a spinning float work great.
As for coho and Chinook they like to chase there food.
That's why if you want to get your wife or girlfriend or kids interested in salmon fishing.
TAKE THEM FISHING FOR PINK SALMON.
The bad thing is they only run up the river every other year odd years.
THIS YEAR WAS GREAT ON THE SKAGIT RIVER.View attachment 1040983View attachment 1040984
One of these days I'll venture back up to the Skagit River for the pink run, it's been a while.
It sure looks like she had a very good time.:s0152:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads