JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Snaggers....

When I fished the deep hole at the top of the estuary on the Chetco, there were about 20 or so little fly fishing punts anchored around the hole that is about 100' x 100' and about 25' deep. Guys were all shooting sinking fly lines. So many lines in the water... must have been hard for the salmon to swim w/o getting a line in their mouths. Many fish were legally caught, but I'd see a guy lift a fish and turn away from the highway... you just know he was hiding a foul hook, and then put the fish in the boat anyway.

Same thing here on the Wallowa but from the bank, not punts. These guys would gang up in one spot and flog the water with 9' leaders and a fly that is almost a bare hook. I watched and saw how they ripped the line back each time.

Very disheartening. Some say this is a myth, but I've witnessed it. Not all fly fishers but certainly some...
Oh yeah, I saw a guy with a fly rod fo the same thing on the Miami during the chum run. He was using a weighted fly under a bober and ripping it out. At least he was putting them back, but still. Snaggers be damned!

Flossers
A very well developed method of snagging.
The fish get hooked in the OUTSIDE corner of the mouth.
A professional flosser can snag fish right in front of the public and conceal his dirty deed.

According to many members, salmon fishing isn't what it used to be. Factory boats near Alaska have devastated much. So, the Willamette isn't what it used to be, along with many of the coastal rivers. But the ODFW report for Wilson looked encouraging.
Inland commercial fishing is more like it.
Alaska stopped selling commercial licenses in the 70's (my brother-in-law had one of the last).
Salmon fishing around the sound and up through the straits had been fine until a few years after they opened up inland commercial fishing.
Once that happened, everyone started complaining about the shrinking Salmon population.
The State Governments blame everything but, and so they sink millions of dollars into "better fish ladders" because those darn dams are always to blame (albeit they've all remained pretty much the same for at least 60 years, even though the salmon population started dwindling about 25-30 years ago).
...:rolleyes:

Anyone fishing in the North Central region?
I am new to Salmon and steelhead fishing. I've been skunked 3 times on the sandy river. First 2 times didn't really know what I was doing, just chucked some spinners out there and hoped for the best. I watched some videos and rigged up a float bobber rig with roe and went out to oxbow 3 days ago. Water was very brown and moving pretty fast. I haven't found a good hole yet. Any help from guys that fish the sandy or Clackamas would be appreciated.
Also if anyone knows any good kayak spots as I seem to only find carp and perch in my yak.

Anyone fishing in the North Central region?
I am new to Salmon and steelhead fishing. I've been skunked 3 times on the sandy river. First 2 times didn't really know what I was doing, just chucked some spinners out there and hoped for the best. I watched some videos and rigged up a float bobber rig with roe and went out to oxbow 3 days ago. Water was very brown and moving pretty fast. I haven't found a good hole yet. Any help from guys that fish the sandy or Clackamas would be appreciated.
Also if anyone knows any good kayak spots as I seem to only find carp and perch in my yak.

First, the salmon have to be there. Did you check the run info? Were there other fishermen???

Second, in high, fast, brown water, fish very close to the bank ie 3'-10'. The salmon will be holding there. (I fished the east bank below the bridge from the park by the factory stores.) Plunk with a good amount of weight on the bottom, and a large neon spin n glo above the bait. Ghost shrimp worked well for me on the Sandy with a bumper of Jensen eggs if you can still use soft plastic eggs. If you don't want to use a heavy lead weight, use a slinky heavy enough not to move in the current since the salmon will be using scent to find your bait.

In other places, I have used a 5/0 Jed Davis homemade spinner with silver body and silver beads and a silver 5/0 french blade with red stripe on the bottom of the blade and a red tubing on the treble hook with great success (not sure if you can use a treble hook on the Sandy). Retrieve slowly, only fast enough to "pulse" the blade to trigger a bite. If you see one roll, try to cast out ahead of the direction it is going, timing your retrieve to take the spinner past it's snout.

Thank you. I did see a few tailing close to the bank. Two were just a few feet from me and there were a couple on the opposite bank. I was thinking the water was really shallow where they were tailing close to me but maybe it was a hole. It was difficult to tell with how brown the water was. I was working the bank at oxbow park, one spot fairly close to the entrance with a life vest rack, and then at the boat launch.

Thank you. I did see a few tailing close to the bank. Two were just a few feet from me and there were a couple on the opposite bank. I was thinking the water was really shallow where they were tailing close to me but maybe it was a hole. It was difficult to tell with how brown the water was. I was working the bank at oxbow park, one spot fairly close to the entrance with a life vest rack, and then at the boat launch.

If they are "tailing" in shallow water, vs rolling over deeper water, they are probably spawning, and should be left alone. The females tail over shallow gravel beds in prep for laying eggs, and also to fan the eggs once laid.

Sorry I don't have more info about that run, it's been a long long time...

Maybe do some research with ODFW or other sources, clubs, etc.???

Salmon/Steelheader used to be a good magazine. I also used Fishing and Hunting News, but found that their info was usually a bit late. Are there any bait/fishing shops around? I know one fellow went to a big sport store, but I tend to prefer the small mom/pop shops myself. YMMV

Doesn't matter, you can catch salmon in fast brown storm water if you know how. No need to wait for perfect water.

Maybe if you're an expert fisherman, but not for a new guy learning.
Years ago I was anchored up at the Bulkhead hog line where the Clackamas River mixes with the Willamette River.
My boat was positioned directly above where the two rivers mixed. The Willamette River water was brown and silty and the Clackamas River was clearing up into a nice green color.
One pole was in the muddy Willamette water and the other was in the green water.
The Clackamas River side of my boat caught four nice Springers and nobody caught anything on the Willamette side of the hog line that day.

Maybe if you're an expert fisherman, but not for a new guy learning.
Years ago I was anchored up at the Bulkhead hog line where the Clackamas River mixes with the Willamette River.
My boat was positioned directly above where the two rivers mixed. The Willamette River water was brown and silty and the Clackamas River was clearing up into a nice green color.
One pole was in the muddy Willamette water and the other was in the green water.
The Clackamas River side of my boat caught four nice Springers and nobody caught anything on the Willamette side of the hog line that day.

Good story, but the OP is bank angling on the Sandy River. I have bank fished that river in storm water, and it fishes the same as the coastal rivers I bank fished in storm water. If one wants perfect water, there is going to be a lot of wasted opportunity waiting for it!

It doesn't take an expert to plunk some eggs or ghost shrimp 3' from the bank with a heavy enough weight to keep it from moving and the largest spin n glo one can find. If people on the hog line of the Willamette weren't catching fish, they weren't using the right method for dark/brown/storm water. I even told OP where to go on the Sandy that this technique will work.

Problem is, it might be too late to catch nice fish in that run. From the sounds of it, they are now in shallow water and actively spawning on the gravel beds = DO NOT DISTURB. If you know different about the fall chinook run on the Sandy, please tell us!!!

Last Edited:
I fish for success, not for time spent in the woods, as I lived in the country when I banked fished.
I had a friend who lived on the Sandy River up on Marsh Rd. and he taught me how to catch Salmon and Steelhead, not just to fish for them.
I now only fish for Springers while trolling in my boat so I can harvest salmon for my freezer without competition from the bank fisherman that line the rivers.

I hope I dont get made fun of to much for posting this but I was wondering if anyone could help me by giving some advice on salmon/steelhead fishing? I am originally from eastern oregon and have been living over here for the past 10 years. I have bought my salmon and steelhead tags every year and have not had any luck. I do alot of bass, trout and catfishing so I'm pretty sure my set ups need to upgraded or need to go get new gear. I would really appricaite if someone could honeslty give some advice and possibly meet up somewhere to show me some basics. Thanks.
I hope I dont get made fun of to much for posting this but I was wondering if anyone could help me by giving some advice on salmon/steelhead fishing? I am originally from eastern oregon and have been living over here for the past 10 years. I have bought my salmon and steelhead tags every year and have not had any luck. I do alot of bass, trout and catfishing so I'm pretty sure my set ups need to upgraded or need to go get new gear. I would really appricaite if someone could honeslty give some advice and possibly meet up somewhere to show me some basics. Thanks.

If it would not be too much of a burden financially, go on a couple of guided trips.
Hopefully you will connect with a fish or two, and you will learn a lot.

When guide shopping, be sure you get one that has 8-10 good references within the past year.
Best,
Gary

The best guide in the Portland/Astoria area is Brandon Glass. I went to school with his dad Jack Glass who taught Brandon the business, but the son is by far the best guide that I've seen on the river.
He works hard to get his customers a fish, unlike some that just go through the motions.

I fish for success, not for time spent in the woods, as I lived in the country when I banked fished.
I had a friend who lived on the Sandy River up on Marsh Rd. and he taught me how to catch Salmon and Steelhead, not just to fish for them.
I now only fish for Springers while trolling in my boat so I can harvest salmon for my freezer without competition from the bank fisherman that line the rivers.

Assuming your post is aimed at me... (why did you not address me directly???)

How nice for you. I wasn't challenging you to a boast fest. I'm sure you're much better at it than I am... And I don't really care that you spent enough time in natural splendor that you are no longer able to enjoy it. Just saying that the OP doesn't have to wait for perfect water in order to fish for Chinook (and catch fish to put in the freezer :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:). My own experiences proves that out. If you don't like fishing other than perfect water, nor from the bank, that's your business. But please don't try to tell others it's a waste of time, it's not. I've put just as many fall salmon in the freezer in dark/fast/brown water as I did in perfect water, or out of a boat, and had a good time doing it.

You might want to reread post #29

"Gray-green water" ..... YES, this is the perfect color!!!

That said, in Brookings on the Chetco River, I learned not to waste good fishing time during the season in high/brown storm water. I was told by a neighbor how to do it.........

1. Get a long surf type rod and a rod holder of the type that you put in the ground at an angle (I used homemade from rebar). Tie a bell and a bright bit of yarn to the rod.
2. Bring warm clothing and a thermos of spiked coffee/mocha.
3. Bait hook with a larger than usual gob of eggs under a larger than usual bright flourescent Spin-n-Glo with a larger than usual pyramid weight to hold it all in the faster than usual current. Weights of 4oz to 8oz are not unusual for bank fishing storm water.
4. The freshet rain with storm flow will bring salmon upriver, but those salmon will tend to hug the bank (for whatever reason, to avoid grit in the gills, avoid the fastest flows, whatever). Sooooo, instead of casting as far as you can, like instinct makes us do, cast 5-10' out from the bank.
5. Sit in the car and enjoy your beverage. (Or in a beach chair if you can't drive to the bank or hole)
6. Watch your rod and listen for the bell. (sometimes the bell will wake you up)

View attachment 761656

I caught MANY Chinook that way.... by not wasting any of the season!!!!

I also had luck using a bright silver 5/0 Jed Davis spinner in high/brown water. At the very least, I was out fishing and a day of fishing is better than a day at work or doing Honey-do stuff!

That said, if I was inclined to fish for Springers I would do so only from a boat.

What I was aiming at in my post was that newbies trying to learn to catch fish, not just spending time on a river for enjoyment sake, will more then likely come to a lot of disappointment and failure to catch anything. The OP stated that he wanted to harvest fish and until somebody volunteers to help him learn the ways and means, he'll have to be extremely lucky.
My experience with bank fisherman is that they can be very secretive of their places and know how to new guys that show up each day on the side of the river.
In the long run, getting a successful fisherman to show you how and what to use is the best way not waste time and money.
I choose to target Springers because I think they taste the best, far better then fall Chinook and the pressure is light on the Willamette compared to the summer and fall boat traffic on the Columbia.
I offered the OP a seat in my boat next spring and he's more then welcome to learn everything I know.
One of my secrets is to follow John Allen Knights Solunar tables, which increase your ratio of time spent vs catch rate for harvesting fish and game.

What I was aiming at in my post was that newbies trying to learn to catch fish, not just spending time on a river for enjoyment sake, will more then likely come to a lot of disappointment and failure to catch anything. The OP stated that he wanted to harvest fish and until somebody volunteers to help him learn the ways and means, he'll have to be extremely lucky.
My experience with bank fisherman is that they can be very secretive of their places and know how to new guys that show up each day on the side of the river.
In the long run, getting a successful fisherman to show you how and what to use is the best way not waste time and money.
I choose to target Springers because I think they taste the best, far better then fall Chinook and the pressure is light on the Willamette compared to the summer and fall boat traffic on the Columbia.
I offered the OP a seat in my boat next spring and he's more then welcome to learn everything I know.
One of my secrets is to follow John Allen Knights Solunar tables, which increase your ratio of time spent vs catch rate for harvesting fish and game.

Good post!

I'm happy to hear that you offered the guy a seat in your boat! That is what I am used to from members here.

Yes, the best way to learn anadromous fishing success is to be shown by other successful fishers. How I learned to fish that spot on the Sandy was because I was camping overnight at the park at a time before the factory stores were there (I was on an overnight biz trip to Portland from La Grande and saved some money by setting up a tent.) It rained cats and dogs that night. As I was preparing to leave, I observed two old guys across the river below the bridge catch a salmon in the high/off color water. I traveled over the bridge and stopped above where they were fishing and saw them catch another one. Knowing that old guys are usually friendly, I went down the steep bank and talked to them... they had a full limit and were happy to show me what they were doing with ghost shrimp as bait.

Perhaps things are much different with fishers today. In my day, old guys liked to share their knowledge and weren't so secretive. I had the same experiences learning to fish for salmon/steelhead in the Brookings area. Both boaters and bank fishing old guys taught me most of what I know. Just don't try to muscle in on their spots. (We used to fling weights at boaters that would anchor right over the spot we were fishing!!!)

Agree that both Springer and Steelhead fishing require special knowledge of both location and technique. I suck at steelhead, as I mentioned earlier. And I never fished for springers because I've always heard how difficult it is... the guides seem to do ok, but for everybody else it is pretty rare to get one in the boat. Those that can do it regularly I guess must be pretty special.

Last Edited:
The runs are nothing like they used to be. All the old timers are gone and now you have a fleet of $50,000 dollar boats being pulled by $65,000 dollar trucks all trying to catch a Salmon like the one they caught last year in a guide boat.
They feel that they deserve that fish since they put out a ton of money and when I net one right behind them that they missed in a 14' aluminum boat made in 1960, they don't understand it's the knowledge I've gained from 40 years learning from the old guys.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads