JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://wqad.com/2014/06/10/muscatine-teachers-invention-could-save-your-childs-life/

Basically a thing that goes on the closing arm of a industrial school door that takes alot of pressure to open.

We've heard of armed guards (good idea), cans of beans(bad idea see my other thread), and banning guns all together(really bad idea) but this idea could save lives I think its a good step. It won't stop the guy from Shooting up an assembly or lunch room but in events like sandy hook it likely would have saves lives and bought responders more time.

I Found this story because I was like duh keep the schools entrances locked during the day

Sounds easy, but in practical terms it doesn't work as students and staff will often prop open doors for various reasons. And folks inside will most often open a door for almost anyone.

I know I was thinking online lol. Just the entrances that's how it was at my high school only the front door was open during the day and you had to be buzzed in. We also had a armed police officer. I

As a side note mass psychotic killers are very rare and the occasional disgruntled student only has only a couple of targets in mind or is gang related

Seems to me you just put a double lock on the door. The key works on either side - no training necessary. It's probably cheaper too.

I spent close to forty adult years in several different school buildings.
If the building is less than twenty years old then it may have decent enough steel doors and locksets so that a double lock set is a good start. But I worked in some old buildings that had wood doors with single pane glass and locksets that often wouldn't work at all.
Schools in Oregon are built on a low bid process..........so you get what you pay for and often the build quality is very low. The ideal would be electronic locks like in a modern hotel. My last building was new in 2003 and we pressed hard for an electronic lock system. But the upfront cost exceeded 10k over the traditional key locks so the low bid won again.
Same story when it came to video cameras so we only had a bare minimum and no funding for real-time monitoring. So it was only useful for after the act discovery and very easy to bypass. Every year we managed to buy an additional camera or two which were also done on low bid. The system was marginal at best.
The solutions always seem easy, but the reality is more difficult.

near future, they will have one of these. :p

"SHOW ME YOUR HALL PASS"
%D0%A0%D0%BE%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%82_ED-209.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR