JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am not certain if there is anyone on here that knows much about the Mini 14. I have an old one and it has been a ton of fun and works great, but it is one of the old ones with the straight pipe barrel. Has a serial number starting in 187.

I have looked at barrel stabilizers for it from accu-strut, but thought maybe a new barrel would be better all around. I am not certain it will join up with the receiver, or if the rifle could be modified to accept a new barrel. It has the traditional wood stock and forearm, so maybe it could be reamed out to work with a new barrel.

Does anybody know if this is possible?

Thanks.

A supplier that I've bought a number of Mini-14 related items* from that I've always have good results with is Accuracy Systems. I have not bought a barrel from them, so cannot speak to that, but I have a stock and other parts. Anyway, I hope that helps with your search. :)

* I took a Mini-14 and modified it a bit (stock, scope, strut, silencer, etc.) for use as a varmint rifle.
coyote1-jpg-jpg.jpg

An accustrut should help, as will changing the gas port if like most they sling the brass. Mine would throw cases 40 feet, with a new gas port they are about 10 feet away, and the cycling is much less rough. A thicker barrel would probably help, dont know how much though, and I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap. If you want the utmost accuracy I would just go with an AR15, I know the mini is way more fun to shoot though :D

BTW @CountryGent, who did your threading? I was thinking of either threading mine or putting on one of those pin on M14 style sights and flash hiders.

Thanks guys for the info,
If I can put a new barrel on that receiver and then add the stabilizer, it out to be a lot more accurate. If all I can do is put on a stabilizer, then so be it.
It is probably my favorite rifle, not because it is badass or anything. It has character, and it just feels like it is a part of me. I have an AR, which is probably a more accurate rifle, but it feels totally french to me.

This thing can be thrown in the truck or the muck and it still works.

That is it in my avatar, and you can see the flex in the barrel at the moment of the shot.

Couple things about the older Mini-14.

First off. Many early guns were 1/7 twist. Back when the rest of the world was 1/12 and shooting 55 gr ammo. So try some heavy ammo and see if that settles it down?
Next. Throw up your hands in frustration and give up! The early Mini-14's never did shoot straight.

Last Edited:
I have a 181 series mini 14 from the late 1970's. I put an accu-strut on it, along with better front and rear sights. I also had the trigger tuned up. It shoots a lot better than it did before, but still not a real accurate rifle. I believe it has a 1 in 10 twist barrel, so I only shoot 55 grain or lighter bullets.

I have a 181 series mini 14 from the late 1970's. I put an accu-strut on it, along with better front and rear sights. I also had the trigger tuned up. It shoots a lot better than it did before, but still not a real accurate rifle. I believe it has a 1 in 10 twist barrel, so I only shoot 55 grain or lighter bullets.

Hey Crossbow, Did you have to have a gunsmith drill a dimple where the strut meets the body of the rifle? or is this a job you can do at home with a regular set of hand tools. I don't want to foul it up.

I shot an email with my rifle and serial number and photos to the folks at accu strut. Hopefully I'll hear back after the holidays.

Hey Crossbow, Did you have to have a gunsmith drill a dimple where the strut meets the body of the rifle? or is this a job you can do at home with a regular set of hand tools. I don't want to foul it up.
I installed the accu-strut myself. I did not drill a dimple. The accu-strut fit tight. A set screw on each side. I had to buy a special tool to take off the original front sight because it was on so tight.

If I don't have to machine a dimple, then I should be able to go it on my own. If I need the dimple, then I am taking it to a smith, because all I have is my regular hand drill and I know the dimple has to be just the right size and depth and location, or it won't work.

Just swap out the barrel for something quality. I've had a few that were real tack drivers. One was in 17 Remington, and another in 6mmx45. It doesn't take big money, or anything special. A different stock is a huge help, but a good barrel is key. I know the 17Rem was a PacNor, I don't recall what the other barrel was. I've owned a lot on minis over the years which were usually flipped, and not even the one in 222 was under 2 moa. Ruger says that is acceptable. Seems these were only made to do mag dumps.

I just took in a couple mini 14's. Fellow bought a pair of new barrels from Numrich. Unfortunately he thought he could just put the receiver in the bench vise and twist the barrel off. He ended up crushing and twisting one of the receivers. :( Luckily Ruger hooked me up with a new old stock receiver they happened to have in stock.:)

Make sure your receiver is properly supported.

I just took in a couple mini 14's. Fellow bought a pair of new barrels from Numrich. Unfortunately he thought he could just put the receiver in the bench vise and twist the barrel off. He ended up crushing and twisting one of the receivers. :( Luckily Ruger hooked me up with a new old stock receiver they happened to have in stock.:)

Make sure your receiver is properly supported.

If they were NOS Ruger barrels, he likely just wasted his time and money. Accuracy will be just as poor.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top