JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is why we want to get some 'recreational property.' At the very least own a property, set up a cabin or RV pad, then transition to primary residence when we don't have to be 'here.' At least it would be there ready to go when it is time to become an "Idaho resident" (for whatever reason). I know people on this side of the mountains that are considering anywhere (OR, WA, ID) east of the Cascades, but it seems to me one needs to stop just talking about it and do something about it. They need to get set up (rec property or whatever) and get to know the people in the community. Better to make friends in the community now. If things "go south" there likely will not be a "welcome wagon" greeting them when they want to relocate (as some have said).

Before you decide to pack up and move to the high country, ask yourself how much do you like -0 weather that does not go away for several month, then there is the winter snow. Life will be much different when shf. Like cut your own fire wood.
Another thing is that the rural people on the east side of the Cascades think different then the people here on the west side. For example you should never call anyone in Alturas, Calif Californians. You could get bubblegum slapped. Lakeview is not in Oregon, neather is Lakeview. Just ask the locals. Bend is however eastern Portland.

I'm embarrassed to have "Oregon" and "Portland/Eugene" mentioned in the same sentence. To me "Oregon" is coastline, valleys with mile after mile of productive farms, ranches, high deserts, mountains, lakes and rivers (because I grew up here and remember it as that from decades ago). Nowadays "Oregon" means a couple of Californicated rat cages west of the Cascades.

I'm embarrassed to have "Oregon" and "Portland/Eugene" mentioned in the same sentence. To me "Oregon" is coastline, valleys with mile after mile of productive farms, ranches, high deserts, mountains, lakes and rivers (because I grew up here and remember it as that from decades ago). Nowadays "Oregon" means a couple of Californicated rat cages west of the Cascades.

:s0155:

not to derail the thread, but how are the property costs in Idaho? I know Montana land is pretty cheap and land here in Oregon is like gold it seems.

not to derail the thread, but how are the property costs in Idaho? I know Montana land is pretty cheap and land here in Oregon is like gold it seems.

Good question. Property costs by comparison? Areas to consider if one wants to be 30min-60min from some services (Sandpoint or Bonners Ferry maybe? or ?).

We honeymooned on Flathead Lake in MT in Sept. Spent a night in Lolo on the way home them came down over Lolo pass along the Lochsa/Clearwater rivers to Lewiston. Absolutely some of the finest county IMHO! Check out the weather in Orofino ID in the winters.......not very ID like but mild and reasonable. It gets pretty darn remote just north of Orofino.........just my .02....

The one huge advantage WA state had is the lack of income tax, and that itself is enshrined in the state constitution. I cannot compare WA vs ID with respect to firearms laws but WA is really great on this issue as well. Again, it is in the state constitution.
Besides that I don't know. I've driven through ID on my way to Vegas a few times and it certainly is some beautiful country.

ID is now considered the #1 retirement state (Taxes and stuff)

I wonder how many people move there, go through one winter or two, and then leave? Or fly south for the winter maybe. Pretty funny - my wife likes the idea of going there because they do have winter. Regardless, I will be heading over there soon to check out some areas.

Lewiston has milder winters and is not in the bottom of a canyon like a lot of ID towns are so it gets winter sun. up in the Palouse country it is quite open but winter winds are the problem

The Idaho Panhandle isn't that big and with the number of people wanting to move there, its going to get crazy congested in the near future.
I am thinking ant farm.... :s0114:

The Idaho Panhandle isn't that big and with the number of people wanting to move there, its going to get crazy congested in the near future.
I am thinking ant farm.... :s0114:

Then Idaho should annex eastern WA and eastern OR so the panhandle can be larger. Folks in E WA and E OR might like that too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top