JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This has been going going for a long time. Political leanings after SHTF will have little to do with how you live. Pre SHTF that has an impact, and would affect where and how you live.

<broken link removed>

We have been thinking that an enclosed RV garage with a loft of some sort might be a good idea.

compare costs. Many in my area have built "shops" that had interior ground floor living quarters, 2 "sleeping" rooms with all plumbing. South facing exposures for heat retention in winter.

it all depends on how far access to materials is. That will determine the threshold of cost versus reality. 50 miles is all you pretty much expect on getting materials delivered. You going to have to hump it after that.

I cannot agree more about protecting an RV from the elements. Boats, aircraft and RVs should always be covered. I used to build golf courses in the off season in Las Vegas. Lived in a 28 foot trailer that I towed there and back. A 45 degree night in Vegas was completely fine. A windy 03 degree night in Fallon NV, was fing miserable. There simply is no physical way to suitably insulate an RV for those temps. I had the propane heater going, a 900 watt fan heater, and still could not get the temp above about 50 degrees max. Miserable way to spend one night, let alone more.

Give me an elk tent and wood stove any day.

This has been going going for a long time.

Yup. Decades ago people were talking about the eventual breakup of the US into several smaller entities. The tin gods on mount Olympus will use any means at their disposal to prevent it though. But nothing lasts forever. Nothing. Rawles' map makes sense to me, which is why we have considered Eastern WA too. But I think the odds significantly favor ID over WA when it comes to maintaining (or rediscovering) the freedoms our predecessors enjoyed. Maybe the E WA and E OR folks should borrow an idea from the Chinese; instead of a "Great Wall of China" they should get started on their own "Great Wall of Redoubt" STAT!

The wind is the big problem with RVs. A cold calm night aint as bad as a OK windy night. Skirting helps tons.
The idea of a enclosure and the RV is the plumbing. Quick and easy for a while.Beds also,I guess. The rest isn't too difficult.Cooking and seating is nothing.

As far as the succession part,both WA and OR would really have to do some math to see if they cared. I mean there is some food sources on the east side,but it still costs money to get them to the west side. The food will still be available. Why not give E WA/OR up?
My worries are it would be a land locked country. A very safe land locked country.........

Make sure you have a reliable water source and fuel supply with a good wood stove that can be cooked on/water heated. Both these resources are aplenty on our Oly Peninsula land

We will be making a trip or two over there in early spring (if not sooner) to begin narrowing down areas. One good thing is we already are firewood cutting, wood burning, gardening, do-it-yourself "country folks" who happen to be living too close to the city due to the city encroaching on us over the last decade. Moving east wouldn't be much a life-style change, but more of a "neighborhood" change since there would be a lot more neighbors who are like us.

EZ, you keep us up-to-date on your adventure, I'm rooting fer ya!

Decision made. We found a good property in ID. There is enough infrastructure in place already to serve as a SHTF bugout location. We will spend a couple of years (at least) improving things and building a larger cabin.

My folks have a house in Sagle. Nice area, great outdoor recreational activities. Forests are dry in the summer. Fire danger would be a big concern of mine. You can do more on your own property in Idaho than you can in Washington, so if you wanted to install hydroelectric power, for instance, you could.
Winter is expensive, keeping roads clear, hauling off snow, maintaining property through serious freezes. Average income there isn't very high, it is a decent place to be self employed, but not a great place to look for work.
I prefer to live closer to the tempering influence of the Pacific Ocean. My folks absolutely love living up there. It is worth visiting in different seasons to figure out whether it is right for you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top