JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On first instinct I'm like "please don't let it be the shooters fault" fearing a shut down of Larch completely to shooting, but at the same time these people need to be held accountable if their actions actually did cause the fire. Majority of us on here don't even use larch anymore cause its so sketchy the last ten to fifteen years, but for me it's at least a really good last minute alternative spot that I can go to in 15-20 mins and be shooting.

I have a couple spots I go on friends property and also a really good fed land spot by Kalama but sometimes when I want a quick easy trip up larch is the best spot.

So best case scenario these ppl get caught and learn a lesson and we don't get our shooting rights shut down at larch

On first instinct I'm like "please don't let it be the shooters fault" fearing a shut down of Larch completely to shooting, but at the same time these people need to be held accountable if their actions actually did cause the fire. Majority of us on here don't even use larch anymore cause its so sketchy the last ten to fifteen years, but for me it's at least a really good last minute alternative spot that I can go to in 15-20 mins and be shooting.

I have a couple spots I go on friends property and also a really good fed land spot by Kalama but sometimes when I want a quick easy trip up larch is the best spot.

So best case scenario these ppl get caught and learn a lesson and we don't get our shooting rights shut down at larch
I agree. If they were using explosives or tracer rounds, they obviously don't have any respect for the rules or the forest, (like so many others out there). We need to send a warning message to those who don't give a rip, by busting the ones who break the rules. Maybe people will think twice if they know they could get busted. If these people did that, then sorry, fellow gun owner, you're not a responsible shooter and need to learn a lesson.

If DNR tries to close down shooting, we'll need some help to fight it. I can't see loosing it just because of jerks that do illegal stuff.

At this point, however, I don't trust the news article report that @bcp posted (although, Thanks for the link! Good to know what's being reported.). It's from the Oregonian Fishwrapper and it's the kind of story that fits their anti-gun narrative. It hasn't been proved yet, but they still report the theory. Heck, there was another theory about a motorcycle dirt bike that crashed and started it. But did they report that one? Nope. It doesn't cause public outrage and doesn't boost their ratings.

Now that the finger is being pointed at target shooters, I'm very interested in the findings and facts yet to unfold.

I agree. If they were using explosives or tracer rounds, they obviously don't have any respect for the rules or the forest, (like so many others out there). We need to send a warning message to those who don't give a rip, by busting the ones who break the rules. Maybe people will think twice if they know they could get busted. If these people did that, then sorry, fellow gun owner, you're not a responsible shooter and need to learn a lesson.

If DNR tries to close down shooting, we'll need some help to fight it. I can't see loosing it just because of jerks that do illegal stuff.

At this point, however, I don't trust the news article report that @bcp posted (although, Thanks for the link! Good to know what's being reported.). It's from the Oregonian Fishwrapper and it's the kind of story that fits their anti-gun narrative. It hasn't been proved yet, but they still report the theory. Heck, there was another theory about a motorcycle dirt bike that crashed and started it. But did they report that one? Nope. It doesn't cause public outrage and doesn't boost their ratings.

Now that the finger is being pointed at target shooters, I'm very interested in the findings and facts yet to unfold.
Really agree with your take on this and we are already engaged on msg so don't want to dirty up this thread but yeah you're right. I mean from the video it definitely looks like something smoking is coming from the vehicle area, despite the already burning fire above them. It could have been something as simple as shooting a gallon of water and mistaking the water for smoke but still if I'm up on larch and there's visible smoke near Me I'm going to stop and investigate and make a call.

I don't see a flare at all maybe I'm looking at the wrong video. Seems like the fire is a very long way from the white suv. Doesn't mean that is not the responsible party but that's a long ways away. Reading the article a few posts above, not too far for rockets or tracers of course.

Apparently it was two couples in the white suv. It would be nice to hear that eye witness account that told them it was two couples because the video is so little to go on. They must have more info they are not sharing.

Last Edited:
I remember being constantly bombarded with "only you can prevent forest fires", Smokey bear etc. Smokey bear in the class room, Smokey bear stickers everywhere because they were free and handed out all the time, constant psas on tv. Signs. Smokey bear was everywhere.

Now I don't think there is any effort at all except forest service signs etc about preventing forest fires. Not sure with these types of people if the message about preventing forest fires would ever reach them anyway. But it's seems to me that there is no attempt at getting the message out at all compared to the past (other than forest service printed material and signs), at least that I have seen personally.

Bright thing at about the end of 0:01

bright-thing.jpg

Look at the video full screen to see it.

Bruce

Clark County sheriffs has home camera pics of some other dirt bags burglarizing a home nearby that was evacuated on Sunday.

Lawlessness over here.
This is as good as it gets here now, and it won't ever be this good again.

The tent city Meth Heads at the costless Autoparts in orchards tonight OMFG. been shopping there since the early 80's and may never go back again ever.

I
Bright thing at about the end of 0:01

View attachment 1295129

Bruce
Thanks! That looks to me like a firework thrown by hand or a weak rocket/other flying firework. It sounds like it exploded near the time it hit the ground. If that's the case they were continuing to throw fireworks long after the other fire that is quite a ways had already started. Perhaps one group was near the fire setting off/throwing fireworks and the other(s) were near the vehicle also setting off/throwing fireworks. Or of course a small or smouldering fire that is farther away could have started earlier when they were over there and only flared up about the time they got back to car. Just speculation of course.

Last Edited:
I remember being constantly bombarded with "only you can prevent forest fires", Smokey bear etc. Smokey bear in the class room, Smokey bear stickers everywhere because they were free and handed out all the time, constant psas on tv. Signs. Smokey bear was everywhere.

Now I don't think there is any effort at all except forest service signs etc about preventing forest fires. Not sure with these types of people if the message about preventing forest fires would ever reach them anyway. But it's seems to me that there is no attempt at getting the message out at all compared to the past (other than forest service printed material and signs), at least that I have seen personally.
8-24-19 Zim Pit 24.jpg

How many millions lost and poeple affected due to fireworks in the forest? Just stupid. And makes it harder for forests to stay open to other uses, target shooting, camping, orv, whatever.

In the video, I thought it look like smoke at first too but if you look closer and watch it a few times you can see the mist after the container breaks, shot in the air, if it was smoke - it would have smoked as they thrown it. Just my 2 cents.

Is it not crazy that when your out in the woods and someone still could have a camera on you!

I'm also quite curious who goes into the middle of the woods to film other people from a distance...
I'm thinking it was the smoke that got their attention. Therefore, they took the vid.

If they were 'Forest Watch' volunteers, or 'Eyes In The Woods' volunteers, they would know how to gather and document the information properly. However in this case, it looks like they were just out passing by and happened to notice something not right. At least they rolled film!

I'm also quite curious who goes into the middle of the woods to film other people from a distance...
The area is heavy with hiking, mt bike, and MX trail systems. On any given weekend the area is loaded with recreationalists. It wouldnt be a stretch for someone to hear some shooting (or whatever) and film someone with a huge plume of smoke from it in this hot dry weather.

You have better eyes than me
:p Dunno about the rest of the folks here, but I cheated by slowing the video playback to .25 of normal speed and playing that segment about two dozen times (what can I say, I'm retired and bored from being trapped indoors by unhealthy air).

Anyway, viewed very slowly, that little puff/splash/whatever clearly occurs almost exactly between the recorded sound of those first two (quieter) reports. It then disappears as quickly as it appears, with no lingering trace of smoke in that spot. After a bit of delay, a third, distinctly louder report is heard on the recording.

I agree with a couple earlier posts: the evident puff/splash could be from a container of liquid thrown into the air. But by who or what?

Speculation: Going back to those first two, quieter reports, now. Could they have been gunshots setting off a "pyrotechnic" (news report term, not mine) that propelled a container into the air? The louder report in the recording would, of course, have been the sound of that pyrotechnic. Given the distance at which the recording was made, delay of that report would be expected even if it actually occurred an instant before the puff/splash is seen (speed of light vs. speed of sound). Again, just speculation, and we have to keep in mind that speculation can unjustifiably paint innocent firearms enthusiasts as total dumb a55es (because only dumb a55es would be shooting at explosive charges in a dry forest at the height of fire season).

In this case, it's a moot point because I could not see any "lingering trace of smoke in that spot". I've never played with Tannerite, but I've watched a bunch of videos of such activity; lots of smoke is what I recall. Lots & lots of smoke. Like most kids my age, I have (safely) played with a variety of pyrotechnics over the years; they also have lots of smoke.

As further indication there was probably no explosive target involved, I put on earphones and turned the audio way up as I played that video over and over. Listening very carefully, I never heard any distant voice saying, "Hey y'all, hold my beer and watch this!".

The area is heavy with hiking, mt bike, and MX trail systems. On any given weekend the area is loaded with recreationalists. It wouldnt be a stretch for someone to hear some shooting (or whatever) and film someone with a huge plume of smoke from it in this hot dry weather.
So they were just randomly shooting in an undesignated shooting area?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top