JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So eleven pages into this 'episode' we are discussing Poaching and the 'evils' or 'justification' thereof. Despite the pontifications about the 'supposed' damage it does to wildlife. The damage to wildlife populations from 'legal' intrusions by humans and 'pets', developers etc. have a much greater impact. I've witness deer herds, elk, fox etc. go to ZERO as the developments and population increased in my environment! Not everyone can afford paying for food! Despite the illusion and the mantra of "plentifulness" there are many in the America who do suffer a lack of eatable food.

So eleven pages into this 'episode' we are discussing Poaching and the 'evils' or 'justification' thereof. Despite the pontifications about the 'supposed' damage it does to wildlife. The damage to wildlife populations from 'legal' intrusions by humans and 'pets', developers etc. have a much greater impact. I've witness deer herds, elk, fox etc. go to ZERO as the developments and population increased in my environment! Not everyone can afford paying for food! Despite the illusion and the mantra of "plentifulness" there are many in the America who do suffer a lack of eatable food.
I think you're confusing "lack of food" with morbid obesity.

You are acting on emotion, not the reality of the working poor in the small town's that have to choose between feeding the family, running water, heat, electricity, Natural gas kinda poor..

Not some Jackhole in P town.
There's definitely pressure on small towns for people to relocate to large cities.

If you are living poor in a small town with few jobs and few resources it's OK to consider moving to a larger city where there ARE resources and jobs. Maybe it's scary to change your life but humans have been nomadic for a very very long time. You can WANT to live somewhere but if the conditions there don't support your desires then you have to be willing to relocate to where you CAN support yourself.
There are some nostalgic ideas about living in the woods. Living off the land. Not cooperating with anyone while rejecting society. But if you have kids or a family and also are poor in a small town... Poaching a few deer isn't the answer. It's not going to impact the deer population but its also not going to improve your life prospects or support your family.

Don't be afraid. Come to the big city... JOIN US!!!!

Lots of jobs and safety. Yes it sucks waking up at 5am to go to work but it gives safety and purpose.

It's a modern world. Come to a city and live a good life. Being cold and poor in the woods doesn't mean anything and it doesn't prove anything aside from being scared to work hard to improve your life in a city.

You can be the biggest fish in an empty pond and starve to death or be an average sized fish in a thriving pond and live a good life.

Jesus, did you really say this? And believe it?
Different strokes for different strokes I guess.

I do kinda get where he's coming from as far as better to live in the city than to be a criminal or starve. But, as someone who loathes cities, I was also looking for the punchline right to the very end. :D

There's definitely pressure on small towns for people to relocate to large cities.

If you are living poor in a small town with few jobs and few resources it's OK to consider moving to a larger city where there ARE resources and jobs. Maybe it's scary to change your life but humans have been nomadic for a very very long time. You can WANT to live somewhere but if the conditions there don't support your desires then you have to be willing to relocate to where you CAN support yourself.
There are some nostalgic ideas about living in the woods. Living off the land. Not cooperating with anyone while rejecting society. But if you have kids or a family and also are poor in a small town... Poaching a few deer isn't the answer. It's not going to impact the deer population but its also not going to improve your life prospects or support your family.

Lots of jobs and safety. Yes it sucks waking up at 5am to go to work but it gives safety and purpose.

It's a modern world. Come to a city and live a good life. Being cold and poor in the woods doesn't mean anything and it doesn't prove anything aside from being scared to work hard to improve your life in a city.

You can be the biggest fish in an empty pond and starve to death or be an average sized fish in a thriving pond and live a good life.
Are you high??? I do everything I can to avoid going to big dumpster fire ship holes....keep you big city living

Different strokes for different strokes I guess.

I do kinda get where he's coming from as far as better to live in the city than to be a criminal or starve. But, as someone who loathes cities, I was also looking for the punchline right to the very end. :D
Yeah, I get it. But...If you've read any of my rantings about what it's like in our formerly middle/lower middle class neighborhood....And how businesses can't find any body that will show up to work. And the homeless. And the filth, thievery, shooting, crime. You understand how I about spit my coffee on the key board with that post? LOL

Are you high??? I do everything I can to avoid going to big dumpster fire ship holes....keep you big city living
Vancouver away from the core is WAY better than potland. Just sayin'. We drive there sometimes for a break from the ship hole.

Poacher Dude would do well to move to Vancouver.

Man, I am with you on the resistance to population growth. Sheesh, enough is enough.

Maybe things are different in Idaho and even elsewhere in Oregon. Here, the "I have to poach to feed my kids" just doesn't fly. Through the schools they feed the kids for free. All of the kids. You don't have to income qualify. Even during the summer. They also have a local food pantry.

The one thing I would take exception to in your post is the "supposed" damage part. If poachers are killing as many mule deer as hunters. That's doin' some damage.

Yeah, I get it. But...If you've read any of my rantings about what it's like in our formerly middle/lower middle class neighborhood....And how businesses can't find any body that will show up to work. And the homeless. And the filth, thievery, shooting, crime. You understand how I about spit my coffee on the key board with that post? LOL
Point taken.

But the seething cesspool that many of Portland's neighborhoods have become is not limited to what you term "Middle/Lower Middle Class" areas.

The close-in Southeast neighborhoods of Brooklyn, Sellwood, Moreland, and the higher end neighborhoods next to them Westmoreland and Ladd's Addition are surrounded by the homeless and the filth and bio-hazard of the homeless urine and feces. (Not to mentioned the nightly crime of auto break-ins, theft, and assaults on homeowner's property.)

What's interesting is that the neighborhood where Oregon's U.S. Senator Ron Wyden lives, Eastmoreland, is clean and pristine!

In Eastmoreland, there are large strips of public property between publicly owned sidewalks and the street. You will find these spaces occupied by homeless in every other Southeast Portland neighborhood,.......Yet not one homeless person in Eastmoreland!

It turns out that $550K to $700K is not enough to buy yourself out of the cesspool that much of Portland has become,...:(

Last Edited:

Satire?

Curiosity on how people would reply.

My main feeling is, if your situation isn't working for you, change your environment until it is working for you.
Portland has issues obviously.. but coming from being poor in a town of 7000 to Beaverton then Vancouver has been rather awesome for life opportunities.

Portland... where the city council and mayor make waterfront property investments then push for a renewel project to spend tax revenue to improve buildings so their investment turns into gold. Meanwhile the east side has schools in neighborhoods that don't even have sidewalks.. but at the same time they are replacing good sidewalks up in the hills so they stay pretty for the rich.
City only has a few plows but somehow the city council members have their neighborhoods plowed several times per week during snow storms and everyone around them never sees a single snow plow.
The fire inspector giving sex clubs exemptions from fire regulations that everyone else is bound by.
Standard city corruptions.

But still even in a city if you are in a crappy neighborhood then you work harder and move to a better one. Plenty of nice spots in Portland and Vancouver.

Curiosity on how people would reply.

My main feeling is, if your situation isn't working for you, change your environment until it is working for you.
Portland has issues obviously.. but coming from being poor in a town of 7000 to Beaverton then Vancouver has been rather awesome for life opportunities.

Portland... where the city council and mayor make waterfront property investments then push for a renewel project to spend tax revenue to improve buildings so their investment turns into gold. Meanwhile the east side has schools in neighborhoods that don't even have sidewalks.. but at the same time they are replacing good sidewalks up in the hills so they stay pretty for the rich.
City only has a few plows but somehow the city council members have their neighborhoods plowed several times per week during snow storms and everyone around them never sees a single snow plow.
The fire inspector giving sex clubs exemptions from fire regulations that everyone else is bound by.
Standard city corruptions.

But still even in a city if you are in a crappy neighborhood then you work harder and move to a better one. Plenty of nice spots in Portland and Vancouver.

When a city (or town, or neighborhood, or household) is being run well - and is by and large filled with good people - then it can be very, very good.

The text in the "Details" in the column on the right is ridiculously biased. The sticker was about rejection of the domestic anti-American movement. It didn't matter what "groups" people were in. What mattered was that these protests had turned from anti-war to anti-America. They stepped over the line. Certainly there were some bigots displaying those stickers, but most of us were reacting to the Communist element of the protests. There were good people on both sides of the issue, just like there usually are.

edit: grammar

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews