JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For anybody that has fondled one, does it have a plastic MSH?
I've heard that most of the lower priced Colts use a plastic MSH, but I haven't verified it. I think they are easily replaced with metal versions that don't cost too much, but again, that's just what I've heard.

If it's plastic, I may consider replacing it at some point, as it's against the teachings of the Church of Browning to have plastic on a 1911. I'd hate to be excommunicated.

I picked up a nice Colt detective special revolver at the Albany gun show for $350. 1969 and was carried a little but seldom shot. I like Colts and this one will be a partner for my 1911.

I like the flat mainspring housing with checkering and I see those on gun show tables for $25. Easy to replace with one pin to remove. My next Colt is a SAA I have picked out but won't get it until March.

i just don't like the current finishes on colt 1911's
They call it "blued" but it's kind of a dull black. I don't mind it, probably because I have nothing to compare it to, being somewhat new to guns. I've never seen a true blued finish.

It does scratch a bit too easily, as I've discovered on my Defender.

I'm of the mind that my guns will eventually all look well used, so it doesn't concern me as much as proper functionality.

The old gun companies made some real works of art, Colts are just beautiful and a great deal of history with some of them. I would love to own some of those Texas Ranger Colts.

They call it "blued" but it's kind of a dull black. I don't mind it, probably because I have nothing to compare it to, being somewhat new to guns. I've never seen a true blued finish.

It does scratch a bit too easily, as I've discovered on my Defender.

I'm of the mind that my guns will eventually all look well used, so it doesn't concern me as much as proper functionality.

There are those of us that remember well, when Colt could lay down some ''Blue''. ;)
Other finishes have there purposes. But there mainly done because they don't require the skilled labor to create.

In other words. There cheep. o_O

Last Edited:
I should wait for March as that was the original plan. Then again, my birthday is next week...

I would never question another person's spending on things they want. If they have the money to spare, all the more power to them. Heck, even if they don't have the money, it's none of my business.

That said, short of winning the PowerBall lottery, I can't imagine EVER justifying to myself the cost of a Wilson Combat or other $3K+ 1911. Heck, I get jumpy when I'm paying in the $1K range.

Vintage Colt pictures showing what it takes to achieve that special royal blue polish.
53b8fe1c67b836ff2e69e221be728ccb.jpg

etlPG1W.jpg
ebd405cd9780690fdbafda4d70149095--colt-python-revolver.jpg

I dropped into the local Sportsman's Warehouse today and discovered to my delight that they stock Colts! They didn't have the Competition model I'm thinking of, but they did have the Gold Cup Match. I got to hold it for a few minutes and really liked the heft of a full size 1911. It's strange, but I've never held a full size 1911 before, just the commander and smaller sizes.

It's not much larger, but the added weight made it feel all the more impressive, like a real gun, in my view. I didn't do much more than one or two dry fires. I was enjoying the feel of it too much to check anything like the fit or features. I only had a couple minutes.

I didn't buy it. I stayed strong and resisted the temptation.

But at least I know where to go when I'm ready.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews