JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The 1911 side of Colt industries has some fine craftsman still and it's possible to find a great gun. I don't know how long Colt will stay in business, there has been a lot of layoffs. There are only two guys left making the SAA and both set to retire soon.

While I appreciate Colts, and all my 1911s have been Colts, I had a chance to experience a friend's Smith & Wesson 1911 purchase earlier this year. Fantastic fit and finish. Very tight but Glass smooth and NO issues out of the box and accuracy boredered on unbelievable !

Yep. I love my SW e-Series 1911. It has performed flawlessly from the start.

The only thing I don't like about it is the need for a tool to remove the barrel bushing. It's a completely unnecessary design feature to me. They could have easily, EASILY, made it removable by hand. I get the need for a hole to accommodate the full length guide rod, but if the edges were just a teensy bit wider, I could hold it down with my thumb for removal. As it is, the edges are so thin they hurt like hell and would probably cut me if I tried to remove it by hand.

When it comes to Colt, I like the interchangeability of the parts, and the consistency from one gun to the next. It makes for an easy process of cleaning and replacement (when necessary).

I just like to keep things as simple as possible, so sticking with one family of guns makes a bit of sense to me.

The only thing I don't like about it is the need for a tool to remove the barrel bushing. It's a completely unnecessary design feature to me. They could have easily, EASILY, made it removable by hand. I get the need for a hole to accommodate the full length guide rod, but if the edges were just a teensy bit wider, I could hold it down with my thumb for removal. As it is, the edges are so thin they hurt like hell and would probably cut me if I tried to remove it by hand.

When it comes to Colt, I like the interchangeability of the parts, and the consistency from one gun to the next. It makes for an easy process of cleaning and replacement (when necessary).

I just like to keep things as simple as possible, so sticking with one family of guns makes a bit of sense to me.

Try moving the slide back 1/4''-1/2'' and taking it apart without the wrench? ;)

Try moving the slide back 1/4''-1/2'' and taking it apart without the wrench? ;)
Nope. But I can use a penny to push down the recoil spring retainer in order to rotate the bushing, so it's not the end of the world. If they made it just a little thicker at the top I wouldn't need any tool at all.

Wilson Combat makes a FLGR that doesnt need any tools to remove (its a little thicker at the top like you describe). Its not as easy or comfortable as a GI plug but easy enough... I used to use one and found one can easily depress the plug with minor discomfort or just use the lip on the magazine bottom problem solved.

of course, if you really want to keep things simple just replace the FLGR with a GI style, there is no need for a FLGR.

I thought the competition was a series 80....? Oh yeah, Colt! DSC_4149.jpg

I thought the competition was a series 80....? Oh yeah, Colt!
I was told it was a series 70, but that info could be wrong. I need to take another look at the spec's and verify.

Guys! Guys! It's not my sole purpose in life to keep Colt in business. That said, a SAA sounds awesome. Someday.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top