JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think Beaverton has a city ordinance that does not allow open carry.

Portland, Beverton, Salem, Astoria and a (very) few others have laws on the book that restrict unlicensed, loaded OC...that is, you have to Calif carry (unloaded) if you don't have a concealed permit...if you have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, those restrictions mean nothing....ORS 166.173

Be careful when you read this section, there are two different exemption sections to it, one for those with any permit to carry concealed, and one for those that have an OR CHL. You need to read them both, and remember, you can NOT carry concealed on any other state's permit in OR.

This is an interesting topic that I have wondered about. If you have a pistol in a hip holster, uncovered, is that considered open carry, even in a vehicle? I have my CHL, so it doesn't really matter, but I was just curious. I think in another section of the ORS it says that if a gun is in a hip holster, then it is carried openly. Does that apply if my hip holster is between me and my seat and the policeman can not see it?

ORS 166.250(3) specifically states that "a pistol openly carried in a holster on your hip is not considered concealed per this section."

It is legal to do a lot of things.........but why would you want to do them? I dont understand the open carry thing it makes people uneasy and there is no reason to do it unless you are looking for attention. I firmly believe in the right to carry a gun and do at times.......but concealed.

Only my opinion................. have a 'Great Fourth' Gent's

The #1 reason to OC is to put the BG on notice you can defend yourself so the BG can make an informed decision as to wether he/she wants to mug you or not. BTW: I have OC'd for over 40 years...I have seen someone that was intent on doing me harm, exit stage left, very quickly, when all I did was I only turned enough for him to see my holstered Colt. The pistol never left the holster, but the threat was gone.

The #2 reason to OC is to normalize legal firearms in the public view...would that make some uneasy? Yep, but then do you think Rosa Parks worried about making some uneasy when she sat in the front of the bus? Was her sitting in the front of the bus the right thing to do? I think it was. Same goes for OC.

BTW: when I started OCing in 1970, to this day, I have had one discussion with one LEO about my carry...Chelan Co Sheriff responding to a MWAG call at a Grocery store (me, purchasing supplies for our hunting camp) Deputy: "hunting"....Me: "yep" that was the total discussion.. your fear of LE is severly over-rated. Most know the law and just leave you alone.

The last OC interaction I had was with a new manager at the "Big R" (farm supply store) in Omak. He wante dto know why so few people OC'd in his Omak store (as compared to his old store in Montana)

What I said about Beverton...that statement is short on the whole truth...Read ORS 166.173

A proper statement would be: Unlicensed, loaded, OC in the city of Portland is restricted. then cite the Portland ordinance (BTW: the Portland Ordinance is a cut and paste of ORS 166.173)

It's not quite a cut and paste. Among other things, they use the word "recklessly" often.:D
14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place.

I'd love to see ORS 166.173 repealed. It would make the laws much more uniform by eliminating the ability of municipalities to roll their own loaded firearm possession laws.

Then sir, why does it take so many years to become a lawyer if it's soooo simple?:huh:
Ya know Ripcity, I'm not really sure. The laws themselves are not too hard to read or understand. I assume that is 1 or 2 years of it. After that I think it is learning to find loop holes and redefine meanings of words.

Although Barracks (military) and Street (civilian) lawyers that do pop off their version of law with out bothering to read what it actually says do make me laugh, and those who listen without every bothering to verify anything ... well, yeah, it's not a good thing to open carry and be a fool at the same time.

Like this 'roid raging moron:
<broken link removed>

It's not quite a cut and paste. Among other things, they use the word "recklessly" often.:D
14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place.

I'd love to see ORS 166.173 repealed. It would make the laws much more uniform by eliminating the ability of municipalities to roll their own loaded firearm possession laws.

I would also like to see 173 repealed...the whole purpose of preemption is so that people don't get into legal problems when they walk across a street. Perfectly legal on one side of the street, not on the other.

WA has a couple that need to be gone too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top