JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey fellas, hope you are all doing well. I thought I'd share my first OC experience with you guys. I live out on the border of Clackamas/Multnomah County and thought I'd OC while I ran some errands to see how it'd go. I did my grocery shopping, got gas, stopped by the convenience store, went into the bank to make a payment, and nobody blinked an eye! Amazing, The only person that made a comment was my neighbor whom I haven't seen in a few years. I'm still a bit nervous to OC in Portland, but so far out here in Clackamas County it doesn't seem like anyone cares. :s0155:

Congrats!
I'm too weary except on my own property HOWEVER, I'm headed to SE corner of Oregon soon (STEENS MTN area) and will try some open carry.

I can't imagine anyone saying anything about it. That is if you see anyone out there! LOL! The "ION" or Idaho, Oregon, Nevada area is some of the least populace places in our country.

Which only means a swarm of Beaverton cops will descend upon you, and act like you are Charlie Manson's twin brother right up until the point you finally are allowed to show them your CHL.

Congrats!
I'm too weary except on my own property HOWEVER, I'm headed to SE corner of Oregon soon (STEENS MTN area) and will try some open carry.

If you get a chance, check out Hart Mountain...AWESOME views! Warner Valley on one side, Steens on the other.

and yay....another OC thread....woot.....

I think Beaverton has a city ordinance that does not allow open carry.

Researching Open-Carry I found some Oregon cities may require Open-Carry be done only by citizens with Conceal-Handgun Licenses. Security Officers with guns usually are required to have CHL since they usually drive and carry on the job; the only way to carry a accessable loaded gun in an auto is with a CHL. Also beware some law enforcement officers have no training on this issue and may guess/assert that you can't. To be really sure research your self and/or ask a lawyer. Best wishes.

Addition: I personally NEVER-EVER Open-Carry with a "simple" holster... the fast-draw type. I always use a "Level-3" high-security Law-Enforcement type. In public, with a unexpected crush of people arround some fool may try to take your gun. Even in the woods on a hike a slip may send your gun out-of-reach down a cliff with a simple holster.

Last Edited:
Researching Open-Carry I found some Oregon cities may require Open-Carry be done only by citizens with Conceal-Handgun Licenses. Security Officers with guns usually are required to have CHL since they usually drive and carry on the job; the only way to carry a accessable loaded gun in an auto is with a CHL. Also beware some law enforcement officers have no training on this issue and may guess/assert that you can't. To be really sure research your self and/or ask a lawyer. Best wishes.

Just go to the OR site and print out the law to hand to the LEO,then there can't be much to argue about.

Heh if that's sarcasm then I truly apologize, I should've searched before making a new thread but I was too excited :D

Kinda half and half....there's those who OC just " because they can " and those who do it " to prove a point ". Most threads Ive stumbled into on the net seem to be written by attenion whores ( not saying you are ). For me, it falls in with the AK vs AR vs 9mm vs Larue vs Sharks with lasers..... yada yada....

To be fair, its your right to do so, exercise away. Myself, I'd rather not draw the attention ( or potential harassment ), so CC it is.

Hey fellas, hope you are all doing well. I thought I'd share my first OC experience with you guys. I live out on the border of Clackamas/Multnomah County and thought I'd OC while I ran some errands to see how it'd go. I did my grocery shopping, got gas, stopped by the convenience store, went into the bank to make a payment, and nobody blinked an eye! Amazing, The only person that made a comment was my neighbor whom I haven't seen in a few years. I'm still a bit nervous to OC in Portland, but so far out here in Clackamas County it doesn't seem like anyone cares. :s0155:

That's good to hear! I feel that television and reality shows like Top Shot, Sons of Guns, Pawn Stars, Etc. are starting to show guns in a positive light and as silly as it sounds, hopefully it's helping people get more comfortable with them.

the only way to carry a accessable loaded gun in an auto is with a CHL.

If you're in a city that has laws restricting carry in public places, you do need a license to carry in a vehicle. Otherwise, OC in a car is fine in OR.

Firearms carried openly in a holster are defined as not concealed in ORS 166.250(3) for determining unlawful possession of firearms. In a car, they have to be concealed and readily accessible to violate that law.

If you're in a city that has laws restricting carry in public places, you do need a license to carry in a vehicle. Otherwise, OC in a car is fine in OR.

Firearms carried openly in a holster are defined as not concealed in ORS 166.250(3) for determining unlawful possession of firearms. In a car, they have to be concealed and readily accessible to violate that law.

OREGON has no STATE law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it's : (a) Not concealed or (b) "Not readily accessible." "Not readily accessible" (for now) means: (4)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle. (b) If a vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if: (A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and (B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key. However, localities are allowed to regulate loaded firearms in "public places" which now includes your car. This only applies to people without CHL's.
So you need to check local regulations. In Portland, for example, you may not have a loaded gun anywhere in your car and you may not even have loaded magazines separate from the handgun. It must still, however, be either visible or "not readily accessible."
-www.handgunlaw.us

All the same, my wife and I both have our CHL's so we don't have to worry about it

OREGON has no STATE law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it’s : (a) Not concealed or (b) “Not readily accessible.”
That statement is incorrect. It needs to use an and instead of the or.

ORS 166.250 (1)(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle;

I also never said or intended to imply there was a state law that prohibited OC. I'm sorry my post implied that.

My understanding as it is written is that if it's out in the open, you're ok. If it's stashed, it better not be loaded or accessible. Where it doesn't make sense is how you could ever have a handgun "in the open" in your car unless it's in a holster velcroed to the dash or something...

This is an interesting topic that I have wondered about. If you have a pistol in a hip holster, uncovered, is that considered open carry, even in a vehicle? I have my CHL, so it doesn't really matter, but I was just curious. I think in another section of the ORS it says that if a gun is in a hip holster, then it is carried openly. Does that apply if my hip holster is between me and my seat and the policeman can not see it?

As it was explained to me by 2 NRA instructors is if you have a firearm in your vehicle and it is within reach, ie back seat, front seat or glove box, it is considered concealed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top