JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Again the feeling that I need an attorney to ask a government official if it's legal to leave my driveway at home for any purposes at all. The muddled and un-ending legislation currently on the books, and which varies from street to street, city to city, county to county is designed for just such a purpose. Baffle and confuse the people until you make a mistake and loose your "privileges".

All this with Oregon being a gun friendly place compared to California where I would someday like to vacation but can't afford an attorney :>)

I can't imagine anyone saying anything about it. That is if you see anyone out there! LOL! The "ION" or Idaho, Oregon, Nevada area is some of the least populace places in our country.

Just following up. I open carried my Sig P229 in a leg holster for 7 days nonstop. To be fair, I only saw a couple dozen people but I started with a trip to Joes Dougnuts in Sandy on the way out of town (I don't think they were amused) and carried into the store at Frenchglen, campground, etc. My biggest fear was when ordering pizza on the return trip in Bend. I was just a bit nervous that A. it was not typical and B. was I totally legal due to unknown city regulations. No issues and I enjoyed the freedom. I carried with 2 rounds of shot shell because my worst concern was the slithering ankle biting enemy that carries a rattle but I guess I was just too scary for them (carcasm) and disappointed that none was seen. Now I'm back on the west side of hood and back to CC only except when around the farm at home.

As it was explained to me by 2 NRA instructors is if you have a firearm in your vehicle and it is within reach, ie back seat, front seat or glove box, it is considered concealed.

Arn't they primarily "safety teachers" not lawyers. i know that even some instructors will lie about the OC laws in order to dissuade people from doing it. -IE saying it is illegal to OC once you have your CHL (I've heard that one A LOT)

From What I have read in ORS 166 your car is a public place. However they have no laws stating where a gun must be to not be concealed. Aside from it saying that a gun locked in a container (glove box and center console are ok too as long as they lock) with the key not inserted into the lock is not concealed.
Other wise window racks in your truck would be concealed. and that just isn't true.

Another common misconception is that you have to be 21 to carry a handgun. But in OR 18 is the min OC age and handgun purchase age. Im 18 but I only OC when I'm camping etc. And occasionally in the car. Once actually in public but I decided that I would wait to get my CHL to avoid a big hassle. Not sure if ill OC after that, I havn't decided yet.

It is legal to do a lot of things.........but why would you want to do them? I dont understand the open carry thing it makes people uneasy and there is no reason to do it unless you are looking for attention. I firmly believe in the right to carry a gun and do at times.......but concealed.

Only my opinion................. have a 'Great Fourth' Gent's

It is legal to do a lot of things.........but why would you want to do them? I dont understand the open carry thing it makes people uneasy and there is no reason to do it unless you are looking for attention. I firmly believe in the right to carry a gun and do at times.......but concealed.

Only my opinion................. have a 'Great Fourth' Gent's

Some people do it to make a statement/ attention. Mostly it is about protecting yourself, and honestly if that makes people uneasy that is their problem. No one should suppress their rights because uneducated people don't understand.

Have a good 4th to you as well...

For the same reason that during the Cold War the United States and USSR OPENLY displayed nukes and made sure each side knew what was coming if someone crossed the line.

I've never carried openly, but I could totally see the justification.

To me it's like this.

Concealed carry in case you need to shoot someone.

Open carry to deter the crime before it happens.

I wish everybody would carry, and openly. Like George Carlin said "Skip the metal detectors and strip searches at Airports, just hand everybody a gun when they board the plane!"

Kind of like the 'Old saloon Days' I guess......
Remember The 'OLD' Gambler, he sat back with his piece out of sight, while all the open carry young dudes were busy calling each other out........usually just because they were packing.
(I guess)
Hey.....fun topic...............may we all be right in our opinions.

I wouldn't want to open carry in places where it's crowded with a lot of people for a couple of reasons. I wouldn't want it to be taken, not saying it ever would, but lets say there is a .1 percent chance it could happen. Also, I don't want people knowing what I have. I would much rather have it concealed. I do carry concealed, and I like the element of surprise. I do wish I will never have to use it. I only open carry when I'm in the woods camping or ridding my atv. I camp in deep areas and it's only for protection against bears and cougars. I have watched a couple of youtube videos of people oc and IMO some of them only do it for attention, and to tell the cop about the laws. A couple of the guys didn't have the gun loaded:huh:. They said it's for protection, what? IMO a gun that's unloaded should never be carried.

I wouldn't want to open carry in places where it's crowded with a lot of people for a couple of reasons. I wouldn't want it to be taken, not saying it ever would, but lets say there is a .1 percent chance it could happen. Also, I don't want people knowing what I have. I would much rather have it concealed. I do carry concealed, and I like the element of surprise. I do wish I will never have to use it. I only open carry when I'm in the woods camping or ridding my atv. I camp in deep areas and it's only for protection against bears and cougars. I have watched a couple of youtube videos of people oc and IMO some of them only do it for attention, and to tell the cop about the laws. A couple of the guys didn't have the gun loaded:huh:. They said it's for protection, what? IMO a gun that's unloaded should never be carried.

Why do you OC when in the woods, but not other times?

As to your other irrational fears, I wouldn't be able to help you there.

Where I go camping it's common to see animals that may be aggressive at times. Like my last post said I'm not one to show what I have. I'd rather be under the radar.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top