JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My Oregon CHL expires in January. I'm thinking that if I wait until it expires then there will be a gap when I can't carry, so I should renew in advance...but I can't find on the MCSO web site how early you can renew it.

Anyone know?

call them. i would just renew 2 months in advance to make sure they got my paperwork thru in time
This ^^^
I did 2 weeks before expiration and it took 2 months to get my card.
If they can't process you in time, they will give you a receipt so that you keep on carrying legally.

ETA:
If had I to do it over, I'd do 2 months before and also send my check certified mail.

In WA county I mailed my renewal in a couple weeks before it expired. Had the new one in the mail in a week.

In WA county I mailed my renewal in a couple weeks before it expired. Had the new one in the mail in a week.
That's how it should be.
Multnomah County is in shambles.
I heard that the Concealed Handgun Unit building is all boarded up.
Open for business, but boarded up.

If anyone is wanting a concealed carry permit, don't use Multnomah County.

I sent in the renewal application for Lane County 60 days early, expecting to take at least a month. I got the renewed permit in about a week. Call them and ask for a recommendation.

That's how it should be.

Unfortunately, you have to go through your county of residence, so folks in MultCo are screwed.

I had a similar experience. The renewal process seems much faster than the initial. I am due this year and my only worry is staffing. It looks like only 2 ladies support this task in Washington County. I don't know if that's the actual case but my experience is, that's who always works on my permit.

Unfortunately, you have to go through your county of residence, so folks in MultCo are screwed.
Duly noted.

In my case, I'm out of state so I can chose from a few different counties.
That was my frame of reference.

It is good to note that Oregon residents must apply for a CHL in the county of their residence.
Or the county in which they own land.
Someone in Grant County (CHL friendly) should start selling 1 square inch lots !

Last Edited:
My Oregon CHL expires in October. I submitted my Multnomah County renewal application in person in June and was told it could expire before my renewal gets processed! For what it's worth, I had it filled out and signed prior to bringing it in. I had no wait time to turn it in and pay my fee.

That's how it should be.

When I went to get my concealed carry, there was a riot at that location the night before and all of the windows were boarded up and there was burn marks on the side of the building. It was a pretty unbelievable experience.

I drove by there yesterday and it is still boarded up.

I just got an email from the lane Co. sheriff saying there will be no more mail in renewals.

Lane County Sheriff's Office

Concealed Handgun Licensing Changes to take effect September 24th, 2021.
Lane County Residents,
On September 25th, 2021 there will be a couple required changes to Concealed Handgun Licensing. These changes are statewide and not specific to the Lane County Sheriff's Office. Those changes include:
-Fees will be increasing in accordance with Senate Bill 554. Initial licensing will increase to $115. Renewal licensing will increase to $75. This will be the first CHL fee increase in the State of Oregon in more than 30 years.
-Mail in renewal applications will no longer be processed. In 2020 our Governor declared Oregon to be in a state of emergency. With this declaration rules were put into place that allowed the Lane County Sheriff's Office to process Concealed Handgun License renewal applications by mail. With the state of emergency no longer in effect, the Lane County Sheriff's Office will be required to process renewal applications in person again, which has always been the practice prior to 2020. Appointments are now required for all in-person CHL and fingerprinting services, including renewal applications. Those wishing to renew their CHL status by mail are allowed to do so utilizing the lower fee schedule (Renewal: $50) as long as it is postmarked prior to 09/25.
We would like to thank the community for their understanding and patience in this matter.

Mailed mine in for Washington County today. Have a little over a month. Had the form filled out just forgot to mail it. Online says, mail in only for renewals. Last time I walked it in with appointment. Received the new card that same day.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top