JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
[\QUOTE]
sadly the P-40 also gets a bad reputation from historians!
[/QUOTE]

Wasn't the P-40 the winner of a lot of entanglements? Or is it that it was just a great workhorse??

Outdone in glamor by the P-38 and the P-51.

[\QUOTE]
sadly the P-40 also gets a bad reputation from historians!

Wasn't the P-40 the winner of a lot of entanglements? Or is it that it was just a great workhorse??

Outdone in glamor by the P-38 and the P-51.
[/QUOTE]
Most of the P-40's bad rap is with it's engine and lack of supercharging!
Historians love to twist things, and I have found that they are in fact, mostly WRONG!
1) the AirCorp needed new fighters, so they would bash on what they had to try and justify the need for newer planes!
2) yes, it was a pre war design based on an earlier aircraft from Curtis, so it carried the reputation of the earlier type, wholly undeserved.
3) It's performance in the Med and in Europe was dismal, fact is, the combination of engine issues ( Which were major) and poor pilot training led to this far more then the aircraft it's self! Remember, in China, the P-40 Echo could match the much dreaded Zero on equal terms, and this was at the time when the Zero was actually a very serious threat, especially with the top of the charts pilots Japan had at the time!
4) The Air Corps had very strict secrecy about it's turbocharger technology and didn't want to "Waste" it on such types as the P-40 and it's Allison Engine, nor did Allison put much effort toward supercharging them, or addressing it's major mechanical issues, especially with a two stage, high speed unit which would have fixed the issues big time!
5) Actual flight testing of the P-40, Echo and November models proved the aircraft was in fact a much better fighter then every one thought or assumed it was, and lack of training, or putting good pilots in it in the first place was what led to it's bad rep in the Med and Europe ( out side it's engine issues!
6) The P-40 was actually superior to the much hyped P-51, especially the Allison powered types, and actually would out fly and out fight the later "D" types pretty easy!
7) Post war, civilian powerboat racing proved that the Allison engines were actually very good, and the issues it had during the war could have been fixed quite easily, and if they had done so, the Allison would have been a vastly superior engine to the much hyped Rolls Royce, and others! Any air craft so fitted would have been most formidable!
What could have been, and proved much better then the much over hyped P-51 Mustang, proof that Curtis and Allison could really build a world class fighter!
The mighty "Q"
1582062426453.png

I can't watch Hunt for Red October and ignore the inaccuracy of the Russian sub interiors :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: especially the missile silo room; while yes the Typhoons are big; they had the missile silos between the twin pressure hulls, in a place where no humans could be :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Designated Survivor
Watched the first, thought it an interesting concept, and ignored the action.
However, I have deliberately stayed away from any reality show with any hint at "survivor" or survival. If you have cameras there, it's all BS. Cut these people loose in the wilderness (Canadian woods or on top of some mountain wilderness) with only a few days of food and they have to survive two weeks, people gonna die.
supposed to show how elite operator she is?
Maggie Q, Brad Pitt's skinny wife, Devilina Ho-Lee. Yep, please spare me the insane stretch of the imagination.... I know small people can deliver an amazing amount of chi, but you can see and expression of that power in their walk.

I can't watch Hunt for Red October and ignore the inaccuracy of the Russian sub interiors :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: especially the missile silo room; while yes the Typhoons are big; they had the missile silos between the twin pressure hulls, in a place where no humans could be :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I can't stand Connery's English sounding Russian accent! Same as Costner refusing to adopt a proper accent In "Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves". For gosh sakes, I learned an English accent in 2 months rehearsal for My Fair Lady... didn't get paid either!!!

Last Edited:
I can't stand the Connery's English sounding Russian accent! Same as Costner refusing to adopt a proper accent In "Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves". For gosh sakes, I learned an English accent in 2 months rehearsal for My Fair Lady... didn't get paid either!!!
It is fortunate that I don't really notice accents due to bein deaf :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That said.... its hilarous just reading lips.. especially Tim Curry's slightly... exaggerated statements (sabataaage)

here's a link to why the Zero didn't have these features compared to US aircraft.

"At the beginning of World War II, Japanese planes lacked armor and self-sealing fuel tanks. The lack of armor was a matter of weight. Japanese engines lagged behind American and European engines in power. For adequate speed, Japanese designers had to forego armor [Horikoshi]. Later in the war, some later Japanese aircraft did use armor. This included some later versions of the Mitsubishi Zero. However, the Zero's designer decried the addition because it slowed the already marginal fighter [Horikoshi]."

However, I have deliberately stayed away from any reality show with any hint at "survivor" or survival. If you have cameras there, it's all BS. Cut these people loose in the wilderness (Canadian woods or on top of some mountain wilderness) with only a few days of food and they have to survive two weeks, people gonna die.

I hate "Survivor" and would agree that most of those types of shows are fakey. But what was the name of that show that put several people in diff places out on Vancouver Island? They starved to the extent that the weight loss was actually observable.

It is fortunate that I don't really notice accents due to bein deaf :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That said.... its hilarous just reading lips.. especially Tim Curry's slightly... exaggerated statements (sabataaage)

Oh boy, I didn't even notice who I was replying to... :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops: Sorry Brother!!

BTW Connery's accent sucks in lip reading to I'd bet!!

How 'bout the dumb scene where in "Anaconda" Jennifer Lopez shoots the snake 3 times with a bolt action rifle and never once cycles the bolt?!:mad:

I hate "Survivor" and would agree that most of those types of shows are fakey. But what was the name of that show that put several people in diff places out on Vancouver Island? They starved to the extent that the weight loss was actually observable.
Alone on Hulu, from History Channel. Oh by the way, for insurance purposes, the people got emergency rations and some other stuff in addition to their "10 things they could bring along "; although it makes sense that they need the other stuff for the filming (cameras, tripods, power, batteries, etc) as well as emergency sat phones and gps for the checkins... I think they also got weekly or monthly checkins by the producers medical teams?

How 'bout the dumb scene where in "Anaconda" Jennifer Lopez shoots the snake 3 times with a bolt action rifle and never once cycles the bolt?!:mad:

How bout her entirely stupid performance in that flick? :s0170:

Kari Wuhrer on the other hand, YAHVOL!!

Anaconda II, the Blood (Sport, Worm, Rose, Vine, WTF was it???) The snake CGI was sooooooo bad!!

Alone on Hulu, from History Channel. Oh by the way, for insurance purposes, the people got emergency rations and some other stuff in addition to their "10 things they could bring along "; although it makes sense that they need the other stuff for the filming (cameras, tripods, power, batteries, etc) as well as emergency sat phones and gps for the checkins... I think they also got weekly or monthly checkins by the producers medical teams?

Yes, they had sat phones/gps to be used only for ringing the bell. Checked by medical from time to time, in fact some people got DQ'd by medical for having lost too much weight. And no, I wasn't aware of any items outside of filming supplies that were not in the 10 things. For example, if a contestant wanted to bring food, it would have gone against the allowed 10 items and wouldn't have lasted long. IMO it was as real a show as they could make, tho some of the contestant choices were silly, and most surprised the hell out of me... a big black guy out on the first night due to hearing noises in the bush, or a small gal that almost outlasted the dudes. Some pretty tough people from the looks of it. Not Bear Grylls tough (actually tougher in a diff way), but as you say, his is a scripted show!!!

The poster/case for the movie Overlord. The guy in the back has a 101st patch on his right shoulder. A patch on the right shoulder means you were in combat with that unit. In the case of the 101st patch the eagle would be facing backwards if worn on the right side. overlord.png

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews