JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Stupid scene in "Den of Thieves" where leader of crew gives a complete rundown on how to operate an M4 Carbine to a member who is supposedly a former Marine!:rolleyes:

This is so true...and troublesome at the same time.
I am often amazed when I do my displays , at just how much firearm and historic ignorance is out there...what is bothersome to me , is the willingness of some to remain ignorant , when offered , politely , to learn...SIGH
Andy
I hate it when they ask you a question and then tell you your answer is wrong. :eek:
You feel like asking them, is this a test?:mad:

I was watching Criminal Minds the other day and noticed they cleared a room to arrest some serial killer and the first guy through the door was clearing the room with a 1911 with the hammer down o_O

I've tried to watch that show. The guy that always has a furrowed brow, never smiles, and ALWAYS speaks in monotone. Can't get past that. But boy I sure love the way the eccentric analyzer guy wears that revolver!

Good stuff in this thread. I won't re-hash the ones already given, but along the lines of airplanes, since I like planes and grew up seeing them regularly on AF bases, so tend to notice inconsistencies.

- Instant turn-on-a-dime maneuvers in modern-day CGI airplane scenes (and other physics violations)
- Change planes mid-scene (I get it - all the footage they could get is just pieced together)
- Wrong model plane for what they claim it is in the scene
- Unrealistic sounds
- No understanding of fuel consumption or ammo expenditure (similar to gun scenes)
- No missles or bombs on hardpoints (and no internal bay on that airplane), but they end up firing missles or dropping bombs somehow
- Wrong airplane for a given military
- Paint a red-star on an American plane and call it a Mig (the infamous Mig-28 on an F-5 from Top Gun comes to mind).

Firearms:

Don't know why I tortured myself, but I got through some of Designated Survivor awhile back, as the concept sounded interesting. There's a lot of gun control virtue signalling, of course, but as to gun handling, the thing that stuck out in my head the most was:

This FBI agent lady had terrible grip on her Sig P226 the whole show, every scene. The most memorable scene was this same FBI agent lady who is being tailed by a random bad guy. She rounds a corner and points her Sig at him, and says something like 'Have a gun, eh? You better know how to use guns... *I* know how to use guns!'. Then she makes it worse by demonstrating how much she knows by racking her empty-chambered Sig in a life-and-death situation because that is supposed to show how elite operator she is?

Good stuff in this thread. I won't re-hash the ones already given, but along the lines of airplanes, since I like planes and grew up seeing them regularly on AF bases, so tend to notice inconsistencies.

- Instant turn-on-a-dime maneuvers in modern-day CGI airplane scenes (and other physics violations)
- Change planes mid-scene (I get it - all the footage they could get is just pieced together)
- Wrong model plane for what they claim it is in the scene
- Unrealistic sounds
- No understanding of fuel consumption or ammo expenditure (similar to gun scenes)
- No missles or bombs on hardpoints (and no internal bay on that airplane), but they end up firing missles or dropping bombs somehow
- Wrong airplane for a given military
- Paint a red-star on an American plane and call it a Mig (the infamous Mig-28 on an F-5 from Top Gun comes to mind).

Firearms:

Don't know why I tortured myself, but I got through some of Designated Survivor awhile back, as the concept sounded interesting. There's a lot of gun control virtue signalling, of course, but as to gun handling, the thing that stuck out in my head the most was:

This FBI agent lady had terrible grip on her Sig P226 the whole show, every scene. The most memorable scene was this same FBI agent lady who is being tailed by a random bad guy. She rounds a corner and points her Sig at him, and says something like 'Have a gun, eh? You better know how to use guns... *I* know how to use guns!'. Then she makes it worse by demonstrating how much she knows by racking her empty-chambered Sig in a life-and-death situation because that is supposed to show how elite operator she is?

I'm glad I don't know as much as you do! :D I probably miss a whole bunch of that kind of thing. Since getting into guns, 11 years ago, I now see a lot movies differently than before.

I'm surprised Andy hasn't said anything about never having seen an actor bother to clean a muzzle loading rifle.:rolleyes:
Like the Energizer Bunny, they just keep shooting and shooting.:p
I can't force a third ball down my rifle barrel without first swabbing out some of the fouling.:(

:s0140:

Stupid-Movie-Mistakes[1].jpg

Last Edited:
OK, got a new one, seems holliweird just had to try and show something super cool, and failed at it epic!
The new movie Midway, Great story, and a pretty cool movie, But..................
First, the SBD climbing to try and outclimb a ZERO, nope, ain't gonna happen, the SBD was WAY under powered and it's rate of climb at full power was best measured on a calendar, FAIL! Second fail, never once in the dive bombing scenes when they show the pilot pulling back on the stick did they ever first show said pilot extending said control stick to increase his leverage, FAIL
The rear gunner in the "Stars" aircraft not being strapped into his position tight and almost getting sucked out, then grabbing the twin barrels of his .30 machine guns and burning his hands to prevent himself from getting sucked out! FAIL
And the worst and most stupid of all, Having the "Star" making his landing approach to the deck with his engine switched off, not feathering the propeller, side slipping, which is possible, but stupid, and stalling his aircraft behind the ship and below the flight deck, then some how managing to belly flop his 8500 pound SBD on deck with out damage! And they do this TWICE!
Another little hiccup, is showing the Japanese torpedoes with the Pearl Harbor Mods to the tail of each one, NOPE, FAIL!

OK, got a new one, seems holliweird just had to try and show something super cool, and failed at it epic!
The new movie Midway, Great story, and a pretty cool movie, But..................
First, the SBD climbing to try and outclimb a ZERO, nope, ain't gonna happen, the SBD was WAY under powered and it's rate of climb at full power was best measured on a calendar, FAIL! Second fail, never once in the dive bombing scenes when they show the pilot pulling back on the stick did they ever first show said pilot extending said control stick to increase his leverage, FAIL
The rear gunner in the "Stars" aircraft not being strapped into his position tight and almost getting sucked out, then grabbing the twin barrels of his .30 machine guns and burning his hands to prevent himself from getting sucked out! FAIL
And the worst and most stupid of all, Having the "Star" making his landing approach to the deck with his engine switched off, not feathering the propeller, side slipping, which is possible, but stupid, and stalling his aircraft behind the ship and below the flight deck, then some how managing to belly flop his 8500 pound SBD on deck with out damage! And they do this TWICE!
Another little hiccup, is showing the Japanese torpedoes with the Pearl Harbor Mods to the tail of each one, NOPE, FAIL!
Actually, the SBD Dauntless was the better performing aircraft that sank the Japanese ships, but the fleet of TBD Devastators were pretty much wiped out, and had the issues you talked about?

Actually, the SBD Dauntless was the better performing aircraft that sank the Japanese ships, but the fleet of TBD Devastators were pretty much wiped out, and had the issues you talked about?
The SBD gets a bad rap historically! There was actually nothing at all wrong with it, and it was in fact the only allied aircraft that could out manouver a Zero in combat! The Navy wanted to replace it, but it's replacement was SO BAD, that they had no choice but to keep the SBD in service and make improvements through out the war! That it scored air to air kills against the Zeros should tell you just how good it actually was, not bad for an old and out dated design! It was always WAY under powered, at it's best, only putting out around 1500 HP in the MK-5, and then, only rarely due to wear and hard use, 1300 HP was more realistically expected, and the early MK-3 depicted in the movie ( correctly) would have only had 1200 HP at best, realistically it would have been around 1000 HP! History is full of miss information of American aircraft from WW-II, sadly the P-40 also gets a bad reputation from historians!

I was watching Criminal Minds the other day and noticed they cleared a room to arrest some serial killer and the first guy through the door was clearing the room with a 1911 with the hammer down o_O

Well, Para Ordnance made a few models of DAO 1911s, maybe others did also. That said, if you see a Colt logo... probably not.

I've tried to watch that show. The guy that always has a furrowed brow, never smiles, and ALWAYS speaks in monotone. Can't get past that. But boy I sure love the way the eccentric analyzer guy wears that revolver!

Mandy, "You keel my Pater, prepare to die", Potenkin? Or Hotchner?

You like that crossdraw carry eh?

I got through some of Designated Survivor awhile back

I tried. Was big Jack Bauer fan so....

But I had to give it up. Was just too much politics and not enough action.

Damn, I thought that was a seagull! Guess gulls don't leave chemtrails tho eh. I suppose Brad could do his signature leap and stab it in the neck stunt!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top