JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Thanks for the reminder! I added the photo to the original post.

Anschutz_DSC02260.jpg

KAR98?

Not WW1.

The Karabiner 98 kurz is a bolt-action rifle chambered for the 7.92×57mm Mauser cartridge that was adopted on 21 June 1935 as the standard service rifle by the German Wehrmacht.

The WW1 Mauser was the Gew98.

KAR = karabiner =carbine/short rifle.

Gewehr = rifle.

Unfortunately, incorrect. :s0086:
proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
There are WW1 Kar 98az's which were introduced starting 1908.
The "AZ" stands for "Aufpflanz-und-Zusammensetzvorrichtung".
The "A" stood for "with bayonet", the "Z" stood for stacking pyramid, meaning carbine Model 1898 with bayonet attachment point and stacking rod device. -Wikipedia under:Karabiner 98a.
In fact there were also Kar 98a's and Kar 98B's as well around the same time frame.
Here is a vid from milsurp world:

Last Edited:
I received a call from Velzey awhile back informing me that he was handling some estate firearms and he asked me if I was interested in an unusual and scarce pistol. It's a special edition Smith & Wesson Performance Center Lew Horton "Shorty .45"
I've never seen or heard about one of these and it certainly piqued my interest to say the least.
I'm more of a vintage Colt fan, but since there were only 640 made of these, I took the bait and purchased it.
It's condition is near mint in box with only two mags run through it to check for function by the original owner.
Here's a picture off the internet, as I'm not available to snap some pics right now.

wm_99033.jpg

Below is a write up explaining the special features and care that went into building this pistol.

Think of the Shorty 45 as the limited edition, or "LX" model of the 4513. It comes with all the custom bells and whistles of a target/competition gun, on a model 4513. In fact, the Shorty 45 MKII IS a model 4513.
The Shorty 45 has a Performance Center air guaged match barrel and Briley barrel bushing. The Briley bushing fits tightly to the muzzle of the barrel, increasing accuracy. The fit and finish of the PC Shorty 45 exceeds that of the standard production 4513's as well. There is not a tool mark to be found, and every seam matches up perfectly. Tight fit too. No shake or slip to be found. Differently cut slide too, with lightening slide cuts down either side. The bottom sides of the slide is beveled as well.
Add the Performance Center trigger and a lack of MIM parts, and you have a superb compact carry 45.

Here's a pic of the special Briley Bushing that's installed. It rotates inside the bushing housing and is very tight to the hand fitted barrel.

upload_2019-7-8_22-41-57.jpeg

Unfortunately, incorrect. :s0086:
View attachment 598698
There are WW1 Kar 98az's which were introduced starting 1908.
The "AZ" stands for "Aufpflanz-und-Zusammensetzvorrichtung".
The "A" stood for "with bayonet", the "Z" stood for stacking pyramid, meaning carbine Model 1898 with bayonet attachment point and stacking rod device. -Wikipedia under:Karabiner 98a.
In fact there were also Kar 98a's and Kar 98B's as well around the same time frame.
Here is a vid from milsurp world:

Thank you, Sir. I'm here to learn. :)

Tac, I'm certain this thread is about unique and different firearms in our personal collections, not about discussions on past exploits and memories when in the employ of the Queen. Since she won't allow you to own a S&W Shorty 45 or any other semi auto pistol why are you knocking it.

Tac, I'm certain this thread is about unique and different firearms in our personal collections, not about discussions on past exploits and memories when in the employ of the Queen. Since she won't allow you to own a S&W Shorty 45 or any other semi auto pistol why are you knocking it.

You are right, but remember that I was also a civilian gun owner. Being a soldier had nothing to do with my ownership of private firearms.

Ownership of firearms permitted by the Queen? What utter tripe, Sir. The monarchy in THIS country lost the ability to make laws when Charles the First lost his head.

That was in 1649.

And if you look very carefully at the post in question you will see that I did, in fact, 'like' it.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads