JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have an antique percussion cap two-barreled firearm from Denmark or Norway. The top barrel is approximately .40 caliber and the bottom is a 12 gauge bore. Oddly, there is no indication of who made it. I took it to a gun show in Rickreall and a gentlemen said that every town of a decent size in northern Europe had a gunsmith that made firearms, and since they were regarded as tools (the guns, not the gunsmiths), nobody bothered to put their names on them.

Pictures, please, and we might put a better handle on it than 'Denmark or Norway'.

Nothing really unusual here. A Vetterli in .41 Swiss and a rolling block of unknown manufacture in .45-70 (someone wrote DENMARK with an engraving pen on one side, for some reason).

The micrometer sight on the rolling block used to be mounted on the Vetterli. I took it off and modified it to fit. Surprisingly accurate with black powder loads and (pure) lead bullets, provided there is a 'wonder wad' between the bullet & powder. Otherwise, hitting a target would be harder than hitting the lottery!

View attachment 592029

Norway, Denmark AND Sweden ALL had a version of the Remington RB in service, first in rimfire, and then in centre-fire. Sweden even made them under license. Showing us the rest of the markings might be able to shed some light on the real owners.

Norway, Denmark AND Sweden ALL had a version of the Remington RB in service, first in rimfire, and then in centre-fire. Sweden even made them under license. Showing us the rest of the markings might be able to shed some light on the real owners.

This is the most obvious marking. The serial number on the barrel is also stamped on the stock. I'll look again and see what I can find.

DSC_3297.jpg

ETA: There is Swedish heritage in my family, so who knows... a family hand-me-down of sorts?

Swedish, known as the Gevär m/1867. 100,000-120,000 rifles and 4,000 carbines were made by Carl Gustafs Stads Gevärsfaktori (a government owned arsenal) and 100,000 rifles and 3,000 carbines by Husqvarna Vapenfabriks Aktiebolag. In addition to that 10,000 complete rifles and 20,000 actions made in the US were bought from Remington.

None were ever made in .45-70 Govt - not any kind of European calibre. You sure about the calibre?

DanishRollingBlock-side_zpsfa1ed242.jpg

And tac replies with a wealth of info and knowledge AGAIN.

:s0152:

Last Edited:
I guess I would have to say that the most unusual pistol(revolver) in my Collection is the Smith and Wesson Model 10-5, 4" pencil barrel, that was to have gone to Iran but was sent to a Gun Shop in Massachusetts and was purchased by an Army Captain(a Dentist) who took it to the CZ in '68. That's where I got a hold of it. I was at the Range one day and saw him trying to 'Tighten' the Ejector Rod with a paid of pliers!!! He did manage to Bugger Up the Rod but since it's part of the History of this gun I it NEVER considered changing it.

If you have a copy of the "Standard Catalog of Smith and Wessons" 2nd Edition you will find that the Authors stated that these were Model 10-8s. I met Jim Supica and Richard Nahas in Salt Lake City at the 2005 Annual Meeting of the Smith and Wesson Collector's Association. I had brought this particular revolver with me for display, including all of the documents I have "gathered" about this Gun. They both thanked me for the information.

Since I don't do pictures, I guess you'll have to take a look at the 2nd Edition. The Engraving on the Side Plate says "The National Police Force of Iran". According to Roy Jinks, the Factory has no record of what the engraving says but I took it to the Language Department of UW and that's what they told me it said.:):):)

I like odd stuff. Here's a pistol similar to a velodog still haven't cast to verify cal. but it is a good conversation piece. Made in Spain but don't remember exactly, it's been a while since I looked up the markings. There are more things in the safes but don't have pics right now. Had a Erma EM1 in 22mag from Germany similar to a M1 carbine. A few AMT automag II, III's, back ups, and such but not many left. Had a lot off odd stuff over the last 30yrs or so, even odd knives can be fun.......and vehicles.

100_0992.jpg 100_0995.jpg 100_1065.jpg 216417_1015674972086_2835836_n.jpg

Not too odd of a firearm but an uncommon one both with its development, history (and other info) surrounding it.

A 10 shot (9+1) .25ACP, Taurus PT25
Made before the ridiculous lawyer safety lock system.

Ive wanted the beretta 25 and 32 but none are to be had when I've got gun funds. And while the .25ACP is an expensive, anemic boutique caliber, its fun to add another mouse gun to the collection. Especially considering I got this PT25 for next to nothing.

So far its worked perfectly and is just as sound (mechanically) as my Beretta 21A.

B010F5C5-679D-403C-9815-BA59578AFF88.jpeg

I was offered one of these .410 single shot H&R Handy-Guns some years ago and politely refused the generous gift, as there was no tax stamp registered to it that I could determine.
So technically it was in my possession for a few minutes, and I would love having it in my collection, but doing serious Federal jail time isn't worth being caught with it.
I told the person to turn it in at the next guns for cash coupons the city puts on, as the next person might not know the laws concerning these pistols.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQC5s6v6pvivSBqP1Qo5WKS2dRyhFJZiacHyY_yE777eN8VRIks3A.jpg

I like odd stuff. Here's a pistol similar to a velodog still haven't cast to verify cal. but it is a good conversation piece. Made in Spain but don't remember exactly, it's been a while since I looked up the markings.
View attachment 592164

In case you are interested, your pistol was made in Spain by Retolaza Hermanos in Eibar, in the Basque Region. Eibar is still the gun-making capital of Spain, and has been prominent in that occupation since the middle of the 16th c.

Your pistol is an early hexagonal barrel Velo-Dog-style five-shot produced by the company as an introduction to their business in the late 1800/early 1900s. Later versions had a full-round barrel bearing the stamp 'Brompetier' on top. Yours might might be in either 6.35 or 7.65cal - equating to .25ACP and .32ACP. As with countless other makers of their ilk, the Spanish Civil War put an complete end to their activities.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top