JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Out of litterally a thousand movies, there was that ONE movie!
Ok, there were actually a few modern ones that tried to be more historically accurate, and that's a good thing!

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Or my uncanny movie memory. :p

BTW, that was actually two movies. Unforgiven and The Good The Bad and the Ugly. :)

But...But...What about the trusty, "RED RYDER"? :rolleyes:

I don't own a lever gun because I couldn't get rid of that mussel
memory of taking it out of my shoulder to cock it.:eek:
Boy, that little Red Ryder sure taught a little feller how to keep your booger hook outta the trigger loop when running that lever!:eek:
I bet that most here learned that the hard way, same as me!:D

And.....GO!

Rifle: Ruger No. 1. Strong, allows for longer barrel given the same overall length of the rifle, classy, makes you make the shot count while its still pretty fast to load with practice.
View attachment 578883
Pistol: Sig P220. Not lefty friendly and its a single stack with 8+1 capacity, but I bet it will run right out of the box with no 500 to 1000 round break in period and will be accurate to boot. Still feel like it fits my hand better than any pistol I've ever owned.
View attachment 578884

Shotgun: Mossberg Maverick 88. Its a great HD shotgun for less than $225. Reliable...fool proof...and mean.

View attachment 578885
1000% agree on the maverick 88!!

I'm going to say something very boring.

I'm having problems with this over and under rated thread stuff.. I love my guns, and there are fans of every gun I can think of, even hipoint, which I don't own.

So I guess the question is are there guns I think are crap and not crap but under appreciated. I think a gun made in a basement of PVC pipe is over rated in third world countries.

And polymer lowers are under rated if they are made by a quality manufacturer.

I wish I could do better, I love guns too much to show more preference then that.

Maybe it's because I'm very forgiving with firearms, even used ones that have performed poorly for me. They try, really hard, and even if they weren't right for me....

@WoodsPlinker. I am thinking I understand your perspective. I've gone through so many firearms over the decades, I've forgotten. The obvious mistakes and outright junk are long gone. Those that work, take care of business, fill a niche, or fulfill some wacky idea and/or are just fun, have stayed. Hey, I don't know friends, this process has worked for me and the household. Maybe such a journey will work for others too. No worries, life is good. :)

Django also highlighted the Sharps.

I consider the Star Firestars underrated. Small accurate single action autos. Heavy for carrying but well made and parts are still available.

And.....GO!

Rifle: Ruger No. 1. Strong, allows for longer barrel given the same overall length of the rifle, classy, makes you make the shot count while its still pretty fast to load with practice.
View attachment 578883
Pistol: Sig P220. Not lefty friendly and its a single stack with 8+1 capacity, but I bet it will run right out of the box with no 500 to 1000 round break in period and will be accurate to boot. Still feel like it fits my hand better than any pistol I've ever owned.
View attachment 578884

Shotgun: Mossberg Maverick 88. Its a great HD shotgun for less than $225. Reliable...fool proof...and mean.

View attachment 578885

I never owned a RUGER #1 rifle but I always liked them!

They are beautiful rifles.

Cate

Underrated...
I'd say any of the various US made single shot shotguns made till H&R / NEF went under.
None of them are flashy , but they do work well and can keep you fed and defended .
Andy

Andy,

I never owned one of them but I did know some guys on other long gone forums who loved shooting and hunting with them.

Disclaimer: I never personally owned a shotgun. I thought about getting one on and off over the years though.

I like the simplicity and looks of side by side shotguns and over/under shotguns too. And if I ever got a shotgun which I DOUBT that I ever will... it will be a sxs or an o/u one. A .410 bore (Caliber?) or a 20 gauge.

Cate

Last Edited:
Marlin 81DL. Plastic trigger guard that isn't straight. No Micro-Groove. Not worth much, except for the fact that it will center punch a dime at 25 yards every time. I only have another 22 rifle because I remember how difficult and uncomfortable it was to shoot with the stock tucked under my arm and I don't want my grandkid to have to deal with that, too. 81DL d.JPG

Glock pistols because some people just hate them. I did not hate mine, my first gun-late 90's, even if I don't own or shoot handguns any longer. I loved my former Glock 9mm pistol!

Single action revolvers (Ruger!) in 22lr/2wmr, 357Magnum/38Special and 45Long Colt. (Or in any other caliber but I owned the above.) I loved my former s/a revolvers even though they were NOT fancy, super expensive or custom made! Some people think that you can't defend yourself with a s/a revolver too. They are wrong in MY opinion.

Lever action rifles in RF and in CF calibers. They consider them old fashioned. They are wrong in my opinion.

Bolt action rifles in RF and in CF calibers. They think that they are old fashioned and not great for a self defense and/or hunting rifle. They think the same thing about lever action rifles too. I believe that they are wrong even though I do NOT hunt but I do know people who do hunt with both of these style rifles. They used them as a child and they continue to use them. They PREFER them over other semi automatic rifles that they have owned in the past. And if it was between a LEVER action or a BOLT action rifle some of these men including my MT husband would choose a BOLT action rifle hands down.

I figure to each their own and even though some of the older guys shot, owned, and used other rifles - they still love a good bolt action rifle!

The RF firearm. Some people just don't care for 22lr or 22wmr rifles or handguns. They consider a RF caliber a 'lowly' caliber when it comes to many types of CF pistol or CF rifle calibers.

I don't consider a RF firearm 'lowly' or for children only or mainly for new shooters.

I did not consider it lowly as a Newbie in my late 40's even though it was Not my first caliber in a firearm and I eventually owned several RF firearms over the years.

I do not consider it lowly for my primary firearm caliber at almost 69 years old and arthritic.

My main firearm is a BOLT action rifle in 22lr. It suits me just fine! CZ 455 Lux rifle.

CZ 455 Lux - Discontinued 2018 - CZ-USA

I don't hunt. I don't use scopes. I don't put extra stuff on my main firearm now and I did not do this with my former firearms. I am Not knocking people who choose to do this when I say this. I did not have to do anything SPECIAL or use a gunsmith with any of my former NIB firearms because they worked just fine straight out of the box.

I like plain guns, simple guns without do dads on them. I think that they are pretty when they are plain although I do enjoy looking at some custom guns too. I like quality-name brands in firearms. To each their own. Whatever trips your trigger! Grin.

My late husband did show me how to adjust some sights on some handguns that had adjustable sights. I was a total NEWBIE in my late 40's other than shooting a few rounds out of his d/a revolver - the 'house gun' as a young bride when he explained that one handgun to me when we got back to his home state.

Old Lady Cate
Typos!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR