JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most overrated:
  1. any gun in your safe that you think you can shoot, but by an objective observer's standard, you are lucky to hit paper at 20 yards.
  2. Sig P365.

Interesting. I bought a ATI Government model 1911 from @SavageGerbil for $300. Easily 500 rounds into it without a single jam. Some ammo in it is cruddy, some is a ragged hole. Haven't developed a load for it yet, and look forward to doing so.
Bought a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm, and it is a consistent cloverleaf pistol at 25 yards.
I also own a couple ATI 1911s. Mine are very accurate, also 500+ rounds through with no upgrades or replacement parts, and no problems that weren't operator's error. I don't know what I would call the most overrated firearm, but it would likely be one of the Glock variants, of which I have several.

The Glock series of pistols and the Ruger 10 /22 Series of rifles.
"Over-hyped" might be a better term for my thoughts on these firearms, rather than overrated.

Good call on the 10/22. I've had one for ten years now and mine is borderline unacceptable, even after upgrading the trigger. The only reason I keep it (and so many people love them) are the myriad of magazines and other aftermarket custom options.

Glocks , Ruger 10/22's or AR15 rifles or their owners

Dems fightin words!!! ;)

It's okay to embrace change, lest we become fossilized in the mentality of yesteryear.

All that glitters is not gold... It's ok not to embrace change also, lest we forget the lessons of the past.

Bolt action pistols... Who buys these things???

I wouldn't buy it, but I once shot a 30-06 pistol... Also, I wouldn't do it again. Holy Moly!!! :eek:

but alot of guys still hang on to the 700. That makes it overrated IMO

I'd hang onto my 1970s Rem 700s if I still had them. That's a for sure!!! At the time it was my fav out of a box rifle. I have other rifles now. Nothing new. New is overrated. ;)

Another contender: Tavor.

Overpriced, plastic, and from a practical standpoint doesn't do anything worth doing that a decent AR or AK can't.

I also have to go with the 10/22, overrated and over hyped. I've shot them, owned them, even built on a couple. I get the beauty and why people love them so much but I always end up selling or trading them off. In my opinion the initial price is a little high, and even after you sink another hundred or three into it it still doesn't shoot any better than my stock Marlin Model 60 that runs $150 - $170.

Last Edited:
$1500 - $2000 Glocks
Duh !
ZEV who ?

Whittled on $500 Glock slides

Gold adornments on Glocks
Just fugly as schitt

FDE
OK, so we had some desert wars.
Does everything have to be FDE now ?
Mix black with FDE for my Fugly as Schitt award !

;)
I was with you through the Zev stuff...
Accessories for mall ninjas...and the effers took away MEGA and Californified it.
But then you dissed my piece:s0117:
It's coyote brown not FDE anyway:s0002:
3763600C-C654-46A7-BAD8-170999428EF5.jpeg
I think it's beautiful!

:D

Not really into the highly customized slides or bling builds. Also I am not into trinkity b.s. hanging off any platform unless it has a solid purpose. However I do happen to like fde and the 10/22 overated? Caamon now.:eek:

44075F07-7281-4AF1-8803-FCE2A1DF3A43.jpeg

Boutique firearms of any kind. Fancy shotguns included...

Get charged a fortune for a brand name that often only performs on par to other common significantly cheaper brands, and in some cases is made to sub-par quality standards (I'm looking at you Kimber... rust bucket firearms)

So much hate for so many different guns flying around lol

Personally I just find boutique type guns over priced and over rated when cheaper brands can directly compete.

Seriously overrated: noveske anything...I see a $400-700 rifle that they are charging 1700-2700 for. the parts are the same parts I can get for waaaaay cheaper... magpul grips and stocks on them, one of the cheapest hand guards made is on their $2700 grendel...BCA sells the same style hand guard for like $30-50 LOL

Stock Glocks...excellent. Don't diddle them....

AR's - All of mine have performed flawlessly, but not one is customized. Oh, and not one is an el cheapo brand...

1911's I've given up on though yes, I love em, but beauty isn't enough. Work well stock or get lost...

Revolvers, great, under capacity work horses...My Ruger SP 101 is a beauty, but 5 rounds and I'm done, nah.....

Shotguns, give me a .410 pump:
(oh yeah, I have a Mossberg Model 500) as 12 guage home defense sounds good, until you shoot one...as an old bastid, I don't want the recoil, but guess what, a .410 is also deadly...

M1 Garand. It's heavy, clunky, shoots an obsolete cartridge, inaccurate, unreliable. "Greatest battle implement ever devised"? Pfft!

Just kidding, of course. I love my M1s.

I have to laugh every time I see or hear someone trashing a beloved icon like the 1911 or M1, calling them obsolete and pointing out their flaws.

The basic design of the 1911 is 114 years old. It's been around since before the Model T Ford, and was designed when the first primitive aircraft were taking flight. Of course it's obsolete!

That said, they're just as good as they ever were, or better. The fact that we still argue whether they're obsolete or not is a testament to the design genius of John Browning. The fact that they can still compete at all with modern designs is impressive. Imagine shopping for a new truck, and deciding between a Model T and an F150.

Obsolete? Begrudgingly, yes. Overrated? By some standards maybe. Darn good designs that have stood the test of time? Absolutely!

Over-rated:
Glock and the 1911 are tied for my pistol category
Tavor and SCAR are tied for my rifle category
Saiga for the shotgun category

Current Sig offerings. Sig over markets everything they make now and they use their old German heritage as the reason to overcharge for plastic that can't be dropped. They also think their version of the Chinese optics are better than others, though made in the same factory.

Anyways, enough Sig bashing.

Gucci Glocks, Gucci ARs, Gucci 1911s, Kimber products.

Any gun that requires a break in process.

Wait for the "ya buts."

As I'm sure most of us are aware, being overrated doesn't mean something is bad. A gun can be excellent and still overrated. It seems some posts are using that standard, and others are just bashing guns they personally hate.

For example, I'm a big 1911 fan, but in recent years the 1911 mythology has grown into something beyond, where it's the best handgun ever made, in any century. I'll defend the 1911 all day long, but that is definitely overrating it.

The Python is a very nice revolver and I'd love to own one, but at the prices they go for now? Overrated!

This will likely get some hate...

Browning Hi-Power... I inherited one from my late father in-law. Sights are poor, trigger pull is heavy, trigger shoe is narrow and not very comfortable, magazine disconnect is lame. Mine looks just like this and would require hundreds of dollars to address the above issues.

wm_4872884.jpg

And then there are the novelty guns, like the various .410 revolvers and the big .500 S&W magnum. Personally I think they're overrated because of all the fuss made over them and their very limited practicality, but I'd still kind of like to have one (of each). :)

This will likely get some hate...

Browning Hi-Power... I inherited one from my late father in-law. Sights are poor, trigger pull is heavy, trigger shoe is narrow and not very comfortable, magazine disconnect is lame. Mine looks just like this and would require hundreds of dollars to address the above issues.

View attachment 579085

Cheez.... Did he lift it off a dead drug dealer? That nickel and gold finish is blingin'

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top