JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some of these answers are quite funny and are clearly weighing the performance of said firearm/cartridge against current standards.

Stg 44......The first assault rifle-type weapon to be accepted into widespread service and put into mass production. The principle of this weapon — the reduction of muzzle impulse to get useful automatic fire within actual ranges of combat — was probably the most important advance in small arms since the invention of smokeless powder.

In all fairness, I would not say I judged the Stg-44 strictly by current standards. That it was heavy, comparatively flimsy, and had less-than-stellar reliability was the assessment of both the Western allies and the Soviets at the time. The former so much so that they didn't see much value at all in pursuing an assault rifle of their own, and the latter liking the principle but coming up with an entirely different design for the same task.

By modern standards it would be just plain awful!

I thought it was a fun topic. What is in y'alls opinion the most overrated firearm ever, and why?

My answer... and it may be controversial but I'd go with the Stg-44. While the general idea of the assault rifle (select fire, intermediate cartridge) as it was applied was quite a game changer... the gun itself was actually pretty mediocre at best. The British and US military had mostly negative things to say about captured examples that were evaluated during WW2. In particular they knocked its weight and lack of durability. They were evidently so unimpressed, they would make pretty much no serious effort to adopt an assault rifle of their own, and would not for decades... by which point it was more in response to the success of the AK. I've also heard from modern day collectors that own them, that they are indeed fairly rickety and not very reliable. The Soviets did end up liking the idea of an assault rifle but (despite common misconceptions) didn't copy the Stg-44 itself but worked out a design which borrowed elements from other successful designs and taking almost nothing directly from the actual Stg-44. So beyond it being an early, successful assault rifle there's really no reason for it to enjoy the reputation that has.

"Knocked it's weight" yeah because the U.S. could knock any weapon for it's weight. I'm looking at you, Thompson. 10-10.8 pounds unloaded for a .45 ACP firearm (the weight discrepancy is based on the exact model) versus 10.2-11.5 pounds (unloaded versus loaded) for the Sturmgewehr 44. The 7.92x33mm Kurz was also a far more effective round than 9x19 Parabellum commonly used in German SMGs and .45 ACP commonly used in American SMGs. Comparable weight, slightly longer (3-4"), and a far more effective cartridge and the ability to hold the same amount of ammunition.

From my research, the STG-44 proved to be a reliable weapon. Notably it was "exceptionally reliable in extreme cold" where it was first used on the Eastern Front, and it's advantages were seen in combat by both the infantry fielding the weapon and their command staff. The reliability problems came later in the war, when production was being rushed and a shortage of brass caused a switch from brass cased ammunition to steel cased ammunition. The steel cased ammunition was covered in a lacquer to help with reliability issues however it was still far from the reliability of brass cased ammunition.

"Knocked it's weight" yeah because the U.S. could knock any weapon for it's weight. I'm looking at you, Thompson. 10-10.8 pounds unloaded for a .45 ACP firearm (the weight discrepancy is based on the exact model) versus 10.2-11.5 pounds (unloaded versus loaded) for the Sturmgewehr 44. The 7.92x33mm Kurz was also a far more effective round than 9x19 Parabellum commonly used in German SMGs and .45 ACP commonly used in American SMGs. Comparable weight, slightly longer (3-4"), and a far more effective cartridge and the ability to hold the same amount of ammunition.

From my research, the STG-44 proved to be a reliable weapon....

In the report I read, the US military compared it to the M1 Carbine which weighed well under 6 pounds, loaded. They noted that construction quality of the Stg-44 was so poor, it was speculated that it was intended to be a throwaway weapon.

A few, related excerpts:

"Because it is largely constructed of cheap stampings, it dents easily and therefore is subject to jamming. Although provision is made for both full automatic and semiautomatic fire, the piece is incapable of sustained firing and official German directives have ordered troops to use it only as a semiautomatic weapon. In emergencies, however, soldiers are permitted full automatic fire in two- to three-round bursts. The possibilities of cannibalization appear to have been overlooked and its general construction is such that it may have been intended to be an expendable weapon and to be thrown aside in combat if the individual finds himself unable to maintain it properly."

"The incorporation of the full automatic feature is responsible for a substantial portion of the weight of the weapon, which is 12 pounds with a full magazine. Since this feature is ineffectual for all practical purposes, the additional weight only serves to place the Sturmgewehr at a disadvantage in comparison to the U.S. carbine which is almost 50 percent lighter."

The full report can be found here:

Machine Carbine Promoted: MP43 Is Now Assault Rifle StG44, WWII Tactical and Technical Trends, No. 57, April 1945 (Lone Sentry)

Since Glock has been said (nothing wrong with them, just a million other equally great, or better options now), I'll say Rem 700 (for the same reason as Glock).

This isn't the 90s.

After further thought on this topic , I might ask overrated for what purpose...?

A rifle made from the latest materials and production methods , firing a bullet , again made with best of new material and methods , will not kill a deer any "better" than a flintlock made 200 years ago...if both of the projectiles , the newly made bullet or the archaic round ball are placed in the right spot

A hit on the target's bullseye , downed game , a threat ended etc...
All can be accomplished by a firearm and the user , having the will and skill to use it effectively .

Overratedness is seems to me , at least , to be mostly a product of media hype and sales ad copy...or perhaps the expectations and outlook of the individual firearm owner.
Andy

1911s. Buy one, but then you still have to dump a bunch of money into it to make it reliable and accurate. Then it only holds 7-8 rounds, so you're constantly reloading it. That said, I'll have a TRP in my collection shortly. But that'll be the only 1911.

Most overrated:
  1. any gun in your safe that you think you can shoot, but by an objective observer's standard, you are lucky to hit paper at 20 yards.
  2. Sig P365.
1911s. Buy one, but then you still have to dump a bunch of money into it to make it reliable and accurate. Then it only holds 7-8 rounds, so you're constantly reloading it. That said, I'll have a TRP in my collection shortly. But that'll be the only 1911.
Interesting. I bought a ATI Government model 1911 from @SavageGerbil for $300. Easily 500 rounds into it without a single jam. Some ammo in it is cruddy, some is a ragged hole. Haven't developed a load for it yet, and look forward to doing so.
Bought a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm, and it is a consistent cloverleaf pistol at 25 yards.

That's the last time it's been the only game in town. The new millennium brought us a renaissance of quality manufacturers and competition. Alot of guys still hold on to them.

Mausers (sporterized and commercial), Winchester M70s in various forms since the late 30's, Browning A-Borts and A-Bort IIs, Salvages, Ruger 77 and 77 Mk II, Weatherby Mk V, Weatherby Vanguard, Sako all the way up to the 75, all sorts of big bolt names.

Or do you mean specifically the tactical/LR stuff? The 700 has had the liins share of that since the 70s.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top