JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The CZ P10c. Brother-in-law bought one and we shot it side by side with my Glock G19 gen 5.

Glock was more accurate, better trigger, better made, more compact, and less felt recoil.

My dad shot the CZ last week and came away unimpressed with it as well.

Maybe the metal versions are better?

It Won't hurt my feelings if I never shoot another 1911 platform or sks/AK.
I do love my AR and Cz bolt in 76239.
Remington 700s- I hate when I hear how many after market parts there are and all the things you need or might have to do to make it a better shooter. GTFOH
I wasn't really into glocks until I gave in last year and got a sub compact 9.
To each his own.

Glocks so far are number one, but considering a Turkish one that looks promising for MOS. From what I have seen out of box without tinkering as rifles go CZ looks to be a none struggle tight grouper. I remain using and struggle some form of Rem 700 in the same caliber of 223. and modify to stay ahead. Not a shot gun guy, so not a clue there. As far as platforms that could be on could be on the tactical side...using the AR side with no complaint with function if kept clean and not pouring rain, accurate. Down side is very poor perpetrator with issue 55 gr. FMJ. Known to not penetrate a car windshield with enough energy to damage those inside. Any of the 30s will, and not many would do well in most platform. Probably most acceptable might be one of the shorter A1s if recoil isn't bothersome. AKs are great, but not all accept what they are or come from. It's all good, and choices bring on opinions. Those opinions change in a hell of a hurry when they don't work. Always love the old saying "Keep it Simple Stupid....KISS.

And there are people in parts of the world that still drive Trabants which proves it's a pretty great car.
Back in 1988, I was driving in to Berlin from Helmstedt in my '86 Nissan 300ZX. Somewhere along the way I heard this godawful two stroke engine noise cutting through my ZZ Top music. I looked out my driver side window and there was this Trabant with a whole family of East Germans in it. The dad was driving and started making signs with his hands that he wanted to race me. The kids in his car were absolutely having the time of their lives. So I signaled OK, gave him the go sign, and then basically let him pull oh so slowly ahead of me until he exited the Autobahn at the next interchange. The joy on the kids' faces was plenty payback for faking the race. I was still there one year later when the Berlin Wall came down. I wonder what they're driving now.

1) "With that said, my preferred pistol is a CZ52 in 7.62x25 Tokarev."
There isn't much data on .30 Tok JHP in real world gunfights, but by Gankenexperimenten we might deduce that it could lay out some reasonably effective ES&D. The gun is so ugly that it's cool. Ammo can be made from .223 brass. I like the .30 Tok too. Note that a TTC fits nicely in the pocket of Carhartt cargo pants.
2) The Soviets didn't copy the Stg-44 so much as they embraced the concept.
3) " It does not matter what you use as long as YOU are proficient with what YOU use and can use it safely, consistently and accurately."
True to a point. A .25 just isn't an effective defensive round period. Any gun beats none, and one's skill level can maximize the performance of any round, but a Kel-Tec .32 isn't a good choice as a primary carry. The gun and caliber matter some, but it's not the salient factor.
4) "And there are people in parts of the world that still drive Trabants which proves it's a pretty great car."
Check out the Jalopnik article on the Trabant. It's actually an engineering and production marvel. The body is made from the industrial effluvia of processing cotton, and it was designed to be maintained by the owner with a screwdriver. When something better became available people abandoned them en masse but they weren't worn out. You might say Stoner is to AK as VW is to Trabant in terms of design philosophy. A WASR 10 isn't an elegant rifle, either.
5) "I'm pretty sure Andy will agree that what is important in a gunfight is not the rate of fire, or the ballistics (within reason). It is accuracy and tactics."
I would not feel poorly armed with a .357 revolver. If a BP revolver was all I had that would give me 5 or 6 shots, which is a whole lot better than a stick. 2 revolvers = 10 or 12 rds. and you can escape in the cloud of smoke. :eek:
6) "Gotta go with the mosin nagant! Why are people paying 4 and 5 hundred dollars for trash? At least a hi point is inexpensive!"
I was going to say inflation is responsible, but the inflation calculator didn't support that hypothesis, so Yeah. The M/N is a cool rifle, but not $4-5 cool. A used military or police pistol might be a better choice than a Hi Point for the $. Seems like the only people who stick up for them are the people who own them, but that doesn't make me want one.
7) "Lot's of nonsensical logic and personal bias floating around this thread"
Yup. :D

clear[1].png

Last Edited:
I would have to say the 1911.

Not that it wasn't good in its time, but John Moses Browning went on to design a much better pistol; the Browning Hi-Power and there have been a lot of semi-auto handguns that are now better designs IMO.

Back in my youth, the 1911 was popular (not the cult item it is now where everybody has to have one and every gun manufacturer makes at least one example), but most factory examples had to be worked over, sometimes extensively, to just reliably feed good defensive ammo.

And yet, a lot of people hail it as the end all and be all of defensive semi-auto pistols.

I've owned several, but when my dad died and my brother wanted his WWII era 1911, I gladly let him take it.

Last Edited:
Gotta go with the mosin nagant! Why are people paying 4 and 5 hundred dollars for trash? At least a hi point is inexpensive!

If anyone is paying that much for a Mosin Nagant, it's going to be a rare variant like one of the nice Finnish models or a Remington, not a common-as-dirt, rusted out WWII Russian. As to the latter going for the $200 to $300 that people are asking for them, that's too rich for my blood for what they are too.

The word "trash" seems a bit harsh. I've never understood the hate for certain types of guns, but often it seems like it has more to do with the types of people that are interested in them than the gun itself.

If anyone is paying that much for a Mosin Nagant, it's going to be a rare variant like one of the nice Finnish models or a Remington, not a common-as-dirt, rusted out WWII Russian. As to the latter going for the $200 to $300 that people are asking for them, that's too rich for my blood for what they are too.

The word "trash" seems a bit harsh. I've never understood the hate for certain types of guns, but often it seems like it has more to do with the types of people that are interested in them than the gun itself.
Or you know, M44, M38s, hex receivers, snipers, etc etc.

Just not a plain jane M91/30, unless its got a shiny bore I won't spend that.

...And there are people in parts of the world that still drive Trabants which proves it's a pretty great car."
Check out the Jalopnik article on the Trabant. It's actually an engineering and production marvel. The body is made from the industrial effluvia of processing cotton, and it was designed to be maintained by the owner with a screwdriver. When something better became available people abandoned them en masse but they weren't worn out. You might say Stoner is to AK as VW is to Trabant in terms of design philosophy. A WASR 10 isn't an elegant rifle, either.

Whatever merits the Trabant may have had, the bottom line is that anyone that actually had a choice chose something else.

When the Berlin Wall fell and they started letting cars cross, I saw quite a few East Germans emerging from the other side into West Berlin driving high end BMWs and Mercedes, obviously the folks with rich relatives in the West. The rest? Lots of Trabants and Ladas. During the first year after reunification, the East Germans would take their Trabants out into the West on the Autobahns. The resulting speed differentials between the Trabis and pretty much anything of West German manufacture made for some godawful wrecks. And since the Trabis were essentially made out of plastic, they didn't hold up well at all, again with disastrous consequences for the folks inside. And before the Wall fell, I was watching East German TV when they broadcast a Trabant rally. It was so sad watching the little two-stroke plastic smoke-breathing things with red flames and other designs painted on their sides trying to manuever through the course with a distinct lack of speed or good handling. But you play with what you have, I guess.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top