JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I see this thread has turned into the antagonization thread of the week.

AKs: who gives a bubblegum that a cheap gun can be buried and dug up by commies?

Striker pistols: yes, I want less safety because it's designed to allow idiots that have never seen a gun to operate it with minimal training and I'm an idiot

Gucci any-platform: mo' money means mo' betta' and anyways I put it on my 12% APR credit card that gives me points back! So smart

1911s: the rest home just isn't as safe as it used to be

3rd Reich guns: these are the real alt-right folks

DA/SA handguns: Mel Gibson was so bad bubblegum in lethal weapon with his Beretta. If jet li tried to do that to me I would have put 2 in his chest. *POWPOW* Pietro beretta, bubblegum

Pump shotguns: cool! I found this in my dad's closet. Let's go to Walmart and get a box of shells to shoot up that old microwave in the forest! Nah, we don't need a trashbag, plastic is biodegradable

Another contender: Tavor.

Overpriced, plastic, and from a practical standpoint doesn't do anything worth doing that a decent AR or AK can't.
Totally disagree.

It's in the same price range as a mid-tier AR like BCM or DD or one of the more expensive arsenal AKs.

Being part polymer isn't really a valid criticism considering all the other partly polymer guns. It's perfectly acceptable.

Sure, it can't do anything a AR can't do, in the same way a KAC SR-15 can't do anything a Ruger mini-14 can't do.

Totally disagree.

It's in the same price range as a mid-tier AR like BCM or DD or one of the more expensive arsenal AKs.

Being part polymer isn't really a valid criticism considering all the other partly polymer guns. It's perfectly acceptable.

Sure, it can't do anything a AR can't do, in the same way a KAC SR-15 can't do anything a Ruger mini-14 can't do.

LOL

MOA labels on out of the box hunting rifles that may or may not get a buck or bull once in a decade. Weatherby chambered rifles where the ammo costs more than a used Savage in 270 or 243 and they both kill deer as dead as dead can be, one just costs a lot less. New colt double action revolvers. They look like a really well finished charter arms revolver at twice the price, not terrible just not what was expected. AR platforms are overrated as anything except a carbine, they aren't good main battle rifles, hunting rifles and for varmint hunting I don't know why I would spend the extra money. I spent years and years maybe even decades with GI issue M4s, A2s and even an A1 in basic and they all left something to be desired. I don't dislike them I just think they are very overrated and overhyped, especially in boutique calibers. Bear stopping magnums in most of the lower 48 for hiking and home defence? I can't see humping pounds of steel with me for the very very slim chance I'm going to even see a brown bear and then if I did I sure hope to just part ways amicably. The FN 5.7, I'm not sure why this caliber and it's platforms get all the love they do. 45 ACP is a fine caliber but also gets overrated as a stopper, it doesn't statistically do anything better than the less girthy calibers currently in use and tends to cost more. Last but not least is any polymer, striker fired, mass produced handgun that costs more than $500 new, they all do the same thing some are just marginally better or worse but none are worth more than $500. I'm not saying that none of the above mentioned forearms or platforms don't work or even that they don't work well, they are just overrated.

All of them cartridge guns...we should all know that they are just a passin' fad...:eek::D
Andy
DSC06814.jpg

This thread is overrated!!! LOL

Yep.

I'll ignore specific models, though a few come to mind, but circa 2019: any firearm that doesn't "just work" out of the box. Any firearm that is mechanically deficient enough to require a return to the factory and/or the ministrations of a gunsmith is not something I'm wasting my time on any more.

Yep.

I'll ignore specific models, though a few come to mind, but circa 2019: any firearm that doesn't "just work" out of the box. Any firearm that is mechanically deficient enough to require a return to the factory and/or the ministrations of a gunsmith is not something I'm wasting my time on any more.
Go on, let's here some names...

Totally disagree.

Well naturally anyone is welcome to disagree. Polymer construction I admit is a subjective critique, but I wouldn't pay that amount for a plastic rifle.

But if we were to look at some other more objective standards, I don't see the Tavor being all that praiseworthy. Is it more accurate than a run of the mill AR or a good AK in an analogous caliber? Not really. Is it lighter? Certainly not. Is it more reliable? Not really. I suppose it pays more lip service to ambi shooting but even as a left-handed shooter I never had problems using AR's or AK's. I guess as a bullpup it's also more compact but that's a dubious advantage in practical terms for a civilian shooter. Fairly average rifle for a somewhat more than average price.

FDE
OK, so we had some desert wars.
Does everything have to be FDE now ?
Mix black with FDE for my Fugly as Schitt award !

;)

A few years back I spend some time in SE OK, TX, AR & AZ and let me tell you what I was very appreciative for the FDE furniture on my Colt and 100% ignored my black BCM after burning the hell out of myself a couple times. It makes a huge difference. I have seriously considered never buying furniture of another color going forward. It is also the best of the solid colors with comes to "camo". I've come to like the black and tan look and will occasionally hoist one or two in a pint.

This conversation is over-rated.

Guns folks have listed included:

* Glock - highly innovated and copied in terms of striker fired, drop safe, blade trigger safety, polymer frame, take down, and even the hated "hump" have been ripped off by every gun maker. Glock has dominated civilian, LEO, and global military sales. Literally the gun predominately used in icons and video games, and sung about commonly in rap songs. The once mocked plastic frames are now running strong 4 decades later. Yeah, over-rated. :rolleyes:

* 1911 - probably one of the top 3 and certainly one of many dozens of highly proven and successful gun designs and patents by one of the single most influential gun designers in the history of the world, an iconic gun and a name every gun owner recognizes, John M. Browning. Still literally issued to our Soldiers (albeit in small numbers), there's only 1 other gun this old that is still used in any military inventory, the Browning designed M2. Over a century old, and still relevant in military, civilian, and law enforcement hands. Very popular, especially in magazine restricted states. Yeah, over-rated. :rolleyes:

* STG44 (I've never held a real one). The first real "assault weapon," and innovation that changed ground warefare and infantry tactics and equipment fore a century to come.

Tired reading the nonsense in this goofy thread after the first few pages. It's just brand hate for unknown reasons...

This conversation is over-rated.

Guns folks have listed included:

* Glock - highly innovated and copied in terms of striker fired, drop safe, blade trigger safety, polymer frame, take down, and even the hated "hump" have been ripped off by every gun maker. Glock has dominated civilian, LEO, and global military sales. Literally the gun predominately used in icons and video games, and sung about commonly in rap songs. The once mocked plastic frames are now running strong 4 decades later. Yeah, over-rated. :rolleyes:

* 1911 - probably one of the top 3 and certainly one of many dozens of highly proven and successful gun designs and patents by one of the single most influential gun designers in the history of the world, an iconic gun and a name every gun owner recognizes, John M. Browning. Still literally issued to our Soldiers (albeit in small numbers), there's only 1 other gun this old that is still used in any military inventory, the Browning designed M2. Over a century old, and still relevant in military, civilian, and law enforcement hands. Very popular, especially in magazine restricted states. Yeah, over-rated. :rolleyes:

* STG44 (I've never held a real one). The first real "assault weapon," and innovation that changed ground warefare and infantry tactics and equipment fore a century to come.

Tired reading the nonsense in this goofy thread after the first few pages. It's just brand hate for unknown reasons...

You're taking this a bit too seriously. Besides, if'n one doesn't like discussion topic, no one's holding a chintzy Stg-44 to anyone's head forcing them to read or respond ;)

AR-15 hands down is the most overrated system ever.

Just look at how the MSM portrays them as machine-guns with high powered banana clips!

Truly, over rated by MSM.

On a side note the Walter pp/ppk/s series also is highly over rated: heavy, sharp corners abound, horrible DA triggers, snappish recoil and crappy calibers.

This thread should be about under rated firearms.

This will likely get some hate...

Browning Hi-Power... I inherited one from my late father in-law. Sights are poor, trigger pull is heavy, trigger shoe is narrow and not very comfortable, magazine disconnect is lame. Mine looks just like this and would require hundreds of dollars to address the above issues.

View attachment 579085
Yeah the BHP sucks,:eek: bigtime. Inaccurate, hard to shoot comfortably, jams all the time. Send yours to me, I'll take it off your hands as part of my duty to my fellowman!:D
Actually it is one of the more accurate of the 9's in my experience. It's main fault is it's single-action operation, and all that means is carrying "cocked and locked".
If you have the magazine disconnect removed it will take care of the trigger-pull issue. The sights work just fine, the BHP isnt a target pistol, it is a military/police weapon, like the 1911. It was originally designed to shoot Euro 124 gr ball, somewhat hotter than American 9mmP. It does well with a variety of heavier soft-nose and hollow-point bullets. The trigger is just fine, but someone may market an over-size shoe to fit on the stock trigger.
A little practice with it would change your perspective. Then again maybe another pistol altogether would be more to your liking. There are a lot of double-actions, or even plastic Glock-types available if you can do without a safety.. sell the BHP to someone who would appreciate it and get you a plastic fantastic!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top