JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mausers (sporterized and commercial), Winchester M70s in various forms since the late 30's, Browning A-Borts and A-Bort IIs, Salvages, Ruger 77 and 77 Mk II, Weatherby Mk V, Weatherby Vanguard, Sako all the way up to the 75, all sorts of big bolt names.

Or do you mean specifically the tactical/LR stuff? The 700 has had the liins share of that since the 70s.

Yes, there were plenty of other rifles out there, but you have to admit, the 700 was THE rifle, for most guys, until semi recently, by a huge margin. For off the shelf modularity, there wasn't any real competition.

Now, there is. You can buy a couple dozen different quality rifles and there is a massive amount of aftermarket support for all of them, but alot of guys still hang on to the 700. That makes it overrated IMO.

1911s. Buy one, but then you still have to dump a bunch of money into it to make it reliable and accurate. Then it only holds 7-8 rounds, so you're constantly reloading it. That said, I'll have a TRP in my collection shortly. But that'll be the only 1911.
Who told you you need to work on a 1911 for it to be reliable, because whoever did surely doesn't own one and is repeating internet conjecture.
I've had three 1911's and all worked reliably out of the box. 1 Taurus 1911 in 9mm, 1, Rock Island GI 45, and 1 Springfield Milspec.
Not one of them received a spec of lube or had any money dumped into them except on the RIA and that was just for better magazines.(the stock mag was garbage)

The Kimber 1911.
I'm not a 1911 "guy" but I hear a bunch of bad stuff about these.

And the only people I see wanting them is people with money to waste that buys the name, so they can tell their buddy's they have a Kimber with their nose up.

Tikka rifles.

Just because my friends are all fanboys and I want to rile them up.

Lotta hate going on.:confused:

You might very well be enamored with your high capacity striker fired plastic guns. And you very well have never spent any real time with a high quality all metal firearm. And that's fine. It's your choice. But that's no reason to proclaim the quality firearms of the past are now without merit.

Last Edited:
Now, there is. You can buy a couple dozen different quality rifles and there is a massive amount of aftermarket support for all of them, but alot of guys still hang on to the 700. That makes it overrated IMO.

That's not what I would call overrated. Are there better Bolt actions out there now, sure. Did they suffer from quality as of late, sure. But the M700 didn't get popular because it was a piece of crap from the get-go. Nor was it over hyped by fanboys that never shot one.

Nah, 1911's are great.
That said a lot of them are overpriced from the factory.
I see more undeserved hate for the 1911's more than any other firearm except for maybe hi-points and taurus anything.
It's the boutique factor that brings on the over hype.

Most over-rated is the Glock. In almost every endeavor, from skiing, to fly fishing, to hunting, to mountain climbing there is a common belief among those new to the sport that if they simply go out and buy whatever the "pro's" use they will immediately be experts. I see people in Maupin with $3000 fly rods and $1200 waders beating the water to a froth because they don't know how to fly fish. I see people on the ski slopes doing the "snow plow" while wearing $20K worth of equipment. It's no different with guns. That's not to say that nobody has any use for a Glock. Police and military probably need a pistol without extra features that might break and disable the weapon. They probably need a light weight polymer pistol if they carry one 24/7. But every novice thinks that a Glock is the ultimate weapon and wants one.

Disagree. It's the most "hated on" pistol out there. It works, but haters gotta hate.

Any my vote?

The KRISS Vector. Everyone who falls for the gimmick learns and sells it off. :rolleyes:

Oh, and anything Kel-Tec. A firearm that has its two halves held together by visible screws is just pure nonsense and lazy engineering. Mr. Browning figured out how to make guns without this issue over 100 years ago. Wake up Kel-Tec. Could anyone imagine their cell phone, TV or even a household appliance with visible screw heads showing all over to hold it together? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last Edited:
The mossberg shockwave/ Remington tac 14.
Don't get the hype...

Especially with the ridiculous detach magazine...
But Im not much of a shotgun guy.. only 2 shotguns on my want list...
Winchester m12 riot / trench and Mossberg 930 JM pro...
Maybe a KAC master key:D

In the report I read, the US military compared it to the M1 Carbine which weighed well under 6 pounds, loaded. They noted that construction quality of the Stg-44 was so poor, it was speculated that it was intended to be a throwaway weapon.

A few, related excerpts:

"Because it is largely constructed of cheap stampings, it dents easily and therefore is subject to jamming. Although provision is made for both full automatic and semiautomatic fire, the piece is incapable of sustained firing and official German directives have ordered troops to use it only as a semiautomatic weapon. In emergencies, however, soldiers are permitted full automatic fire in two- to three-round bursts. The possibilities of cannibalization appear to have been overlooked and its general construction is such that it may have been intended to be an expendable weapon and to be thrown aside in combat if the individual finds himself unable to maintain it properly."

"The incorporation of the full automatic feature is responsible for a substantial portion of the weight of the weapon, which is 12 pounds with a full magazine. Since this feature is ineffectual for all practical purposes, the additional weight only serves to place the Sturmgewehr at a disadvantage in comparison to the U.S. carbine which is almost 50 percent lighter."

The full report can be found here:

Machine Carbine Promoted: MP43 Is Now Assault Rifle StG44, WWII Tactical and Technical Trends, No. 57, April 1945 (Lone Sentry)
Are these the same guys who said "The MG-42's bark is worse than it's bite."?
And my vote for overrated is the Mosin. The Russians managed to make a rifle that kicks way harder than its caliber should and supplied it with one of the worst triggers ever. I'm guessing ergonomics was never a part of the communist lexicon.

$1500 - $2000 Glocks
Duh !
ZEV who ?

Whittled on $500 Glock slides

Gold adornments on Glocks
Just fugly as schitt

FDE
OK, so we had some desert wars.
Does everything have to be FDE now ?
Mix black with FDE for my Fugly as Schitt award !

;)

Are these the same guys who said "The MG-42's bark is worse than it's bite."?
And my vote for overrated is the Mosin. The Russians managed to make a rifle that kicks way harder than its caliber should and supplied it with one of the worst triggers ever. I'm guessing ergonomics was never a part of the communist lexicon.

Nope, that MG-42 film was made by the Signal Corps. But in either case, modern day collectors tend to agree that the Stg-44 is fairly chintzy and not so reliable.

Actually the MG-42 is a good contrast. The Stg-44 essentially died out after the war, seeing only 2nd line duties in small numbers, and not really with any real military powerhouse type nations. The MG-42, on the other hand, was copied by other nations, in other calibers, and remains in service today with modern militaries.

Also to be fair in regards to the Mosin... even though the communists rarely produced any gun that could be described as wonder of ergonomics, the Mosin design dates back to long before the rise of communism in Russia. The bigger indictment is that they didn't fully replace it during the interwar years.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top