JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I thought it was a fun topic. What is in y'alls opinion the most overrated firearm ever, and why?

My answer... and it may be controversial but I'd go with the Stg-44. While the general idea of the assault rifle (select fire, intermediate cartridge) as it was applied was quite a game changer... the gun itself was actually pretty mediocre at best. The British and US military had mostly negative things to say about captured examples that were evaluated during WW2. In particular they knocked its weight and lack of durability. They were evidently so unimpressed, they would make pretty much no serious effort to adopt an assault rifle of their own, and would not for decades... by which point it was more in response to the success of the AK. I've also heard from modern day collectors that own them, that they are indeed fairly rickety and not very reliable. The Soviets did end up liking the idea of an assault rifle but (despite common misconceptions) didn't copy the Stg-44 itself but worked out a design which borrowed elements from other successful designs and taking almost nothing directly from the actual Stg-44. So beyond it being an early, successful assault rifle there's really no reason for it to enjoy the reputation that has.

The Glock series of pistols and the Ruger 10 /22 Series of rifles.
"Over-hyped" might be a better term for my thoughts on these firearms, rather than overrated.

With that said..both are excellent firearms.
I think that they are over-hyped simply because...
They are among the first firearms that come to mind when when people mention guns...
( Maybe along with a AR15 type rifle as well )
They do indeed work well ...but to my eye , they also lack a lot in the looks department and just how they feel , to me is UGH at best.
And many other firearms do work as well , yet have more visual appeal.
( At least to me...but in the big scheme of things , that don't matter much )

And with that said...
I stated my thoughts here , not to bash Glocks , Ruger 10/22's or AR15 rifles or their owners...
As I said they work and work well.
I just find them over-hyped , for what they are and what they do...Which really doesn't matter , as most folks find my taste in firearms not to their liking.

If pressed for a overrated firearm..
I'd say any modern inline muzzleloader...
They don't shoot any better than an original or traditional style muzzleloader...yet according to salesmen , magazines , and the " wonderful " Toby Bridges...they are the best thing since sliced bread.
Andy

The 1911 platform as a whole.

dztto54441wy.png

I find the 1911 overrated.

I mean maybe if it was a firearm that was designed to kill savages that a 38 or 357 wouldn't stop.

If it was a reliable design that would keep functioning regardless of years of poor depot maintenance.

Wait, what does overrated mean? It does not mean what I think it means.

Most over-rated is the Glock. In almost every endeavor, from skiing, to fly fishing, to hunting, to mountain climbing there is a common belief among those new to the sport that if they simply go out and buy whatever the "pro's" use they will immediately be experts. I see people in Maupin with $3000 fly rods and $1200 waders beating the water to a froth because they don't know how to fly fish. I see people on the ski slopes doing the "snow plow" while wearing $20K worth of equipment. It's no different with guns. That's not to say that nobody has any use for a Glock. Police and military probably need a pistol without extra features that might break and disable the weapon. They probably need a light weight polymer pistol if they carry one 24/7. But every novice thinks that a Glock is the ultimate weapon and wants one.

But hey, if y'all like real heavy handguns designed before we had a polio vaccine or penicillin with a single digit capacity in a caliber that has the same energy as a 115gr +P 9x19 and a propensity to refuse to run good defense ammo...
Also, probably not a good sign when JMB's last project didn't chamber in .45 AARP.

Also, the irony of my avatar pointing a GI model 1911 isn't lost on me.

Well to be honest ...
I don't care what anyone likes in a firearm..as long as they are safe and proficient it its use.
To be fair... I like the 1911..have had long experience with it and even carried it in combat...not used , but I did carry it and didn't feel undergunned ...'course at that time and place , I also carried and used a M21...:D

If what you use works for you...then great...just don't be telling me that what works for me , is something that I need to change.
( Not that anyone here in this thread has said that...but I have been told this before. )
Andy

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR