JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well to be honest ...
I don't care what anyone likes in a firearm..as long as they are safe and proficient it its use.
To be fair... I like the 1911..have had long experience with it and even carried it in combat...not used , but I did carry it and didn't feel undergunned .

If what you use works for you...then great...just don't be telling me that what works for me , is something that I need to change.
( Not that anyone here in this thread has said that...but I have been told this before. )
Andy

I agree. The gun world if full of invested egos though. Invested in the gear, platforms, mentalities and methods. If you contradict, offer an evidence based alternative through better (even if its marginal) method/platform/gear people get bent outta shape. It's okay to change with the times, We've come a long way from smooth bore muskets, It's okay to embrace change, lest we become fossilized in the mentality of yesteryear.

Most over-rated is the Glock. In almost every endeavor, from skiing, to fly fishing, to hunting, to mountain climbing there is a common belief among those new to the sport that if they simply go out and buy whatever the "pro's" use they will immediately be experts. I see people in Maupin with $3000 fly rods and $1200 waders beating the water to a froth because they don't know how to fly fish. I see people on the ski slopes doing the "snow plow" while wearing $20K worth of equipment. It's no different with guns. That's not to say that nobody has any use for a Glock. Police and military probably need a pistol without extra features that might break and disable the weapon. They probably need a light weight polymer pistol if they carry one 24/7. But every novice thinks that a Glock is the ultimate weapon and wants one.

Sounds like you have issue with the PERSON not the platform. It's the naive eye of the beholder that thinks simply buying a glock and dumping double the MSRP will get him A zone hits at 50 meters while running full speed. That's like saying CZ Czechmates are overrated because IDPA Grandmasters shoot them.

Some of these answers are quite funny and are clearly weighing the performance of said firearm/cartridge against current standards.

Stg 44......The first assault rifle-type weapon to be accepted into widespread service and put into mass production. The principle of this weapon — the reduction of muzzle impulse to get useful automatic fire within actual ranges of combat — was probably the most important advance in small arms since the invention of smokeless powder.

.30-30 Winchester.....anemic by today's standards as a hunting cartridge, but at the time of its introduction in 1895 it was the first small bore rifle cartridge in the U.S. to utilize smokeless powder.

1911........still mass produced to this day over 100 years later.

E

Hey now...first you say that the 1911 is overrated now this...Dude...Remember who you are talkin' to...:eek::D
Andy

OH, I've seen your avatar and can extrapolate your interests, Andy. But It's hard to argue a modern AR15 is a BIT more effective than a American Long rifle. Credit where its due- it WAS the best at the time.

Sounds like you have issue with the PERSON not the platform. It's the naive eye of the beholder that thinks simply buying a glock and dumping double the MSRP will get him A zone hits at 50 meters while running full speed. That's like saying CZ Czechmates are overrated because IDPA Grandmasters shoot them.
By definition, "over-rated" has to do with what people THINK about a particular weapon. The weapon is just an inanimate object, a block of metal and wood/plastic. Yes, I have an issue with those who don't educate themselves any further about an activity they expect to become involved in than watching a cop movie or reading a detective novel. It's how we come to hear phrases like "full semi-auto".

OH, I've seen your avatar and can extrapolate your interests, Andy. But It's hard to argue a modern AR15 is a BIT more effective than a American Long rifle. Credit where its due- it WAS the best at the time.
Effective as in how..?
If I shoot a deer with a AR15 in the right spot...it will be just as dead as if I hit there with a round ball with my one of flintlocks.
The same if it were a man I was shooting at....

And yes if facing 1-2 attackers , I would not feel undergunned or at a disadvantage by using my Hawken Rifle copy...that said I have 20 + years of using said rifle and to be honest , can load it faster and shoot it better than most folks.

Granted I have other arms that I would rather use if I was ever in a firefight again...with that said my arms of choice would be looked upon with disdain , by many people.

More importantly my post which you quoted was meant in jest...
To quote Foghorn Leghorn...
"That's a joke , son..."
Andy

I'll start my list.......

Keltec KSG
FN 5.7x28
6.5 Creedmoor
Any Nosler caliber
Any "tactical" bolt action platform.

More to come........

My two would be the Colt Python - the prices are way past what I think the pistols are worth and s3econd the sig P210. Both are well built firearms but I do not consider either worth the price they are going for. To me they are overrated.

Effective as in how..?
If I shoot a deer with a AR15 in the right spot...it will be just as dead as if I hit there with a round ball with my one of flintlocks.
The same if it were a man I was shooting at....

And yes if facing 1-2 attackers , I would not feel undergunned or at a disadvantage by using my Hawken Rifle copy...that said I have 20 + years of using said rifle and to be honest , can load it faster and shoot it better than most folks.

Granted I have other arms that I would rather us if I was ever in a firefight again...with that said my arms of choice would be looked upon with disdain , by many people.

More importantly my post which you quoted was meant in jest...
To quote Foghorn Leghorn...
"That's a joke , son..."
Andy

I say, I say, I say- I stand corrected. It's all a joke to me anyway. I guess effectiveness debate is a tangent. I certainly wouldn't want to stand in front of one of your round balls.

I agree with the Colt Python , but man are they smoooth.

Adding to my list.....

HK P7......a squeeze cock handgun that commands $2k+ ???

Quite a few that have already been mentioned.
Colt snakes.
Glocks especially when expected to be target guns with another several hundred $$ dumped in.
KSG or the like.
Sigs.
Bolt action 50bmg's especially single shots.
Kriss Vectors.
Desert Eagles.
10/22, AR's both Barbie type platforms with multitudes of attachments/ replacement parts.

I say buy what you want/like it's not my money and I ain"t your momma......:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top