JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That stock was super hard to find, its an air soft part, and its actually way stronger then the original, and was $80 bucks! The slider lock works much better, the plastic matches the hand guards perfect, and the whole thing is super light, despite the non original A2 HBAR upper! Should have built it as a SP-o1, but decided I wanted the elevation wheel and forward assist more then I wanted to save the 1 1/2 oz weight! LOL
Add the Leatherwood scope mount rail and the Gen 2 Acog, you got your self a winner!
I think next build will be a retro XM177 with the real suppressor and sorta night optic!

I'm slightly guilty of that. But only because my cherokee throws a fit when I try to wheel it. (Which is been a long drawn out process. I bought it not knowing it had sat for... a while)

Seen a lot of fellows with really decked out Ar 15s Quad rails with red dots,flashlights, lasers and a bunch of little gadgets (BAD levers oversized controls). Kinda takes away the main benefit of having a Ar 15, If im gonna pack around a 9 pound rifle its gonna be of the 7.62 variety. Its not that i have never used or dont see the benefit of such devices but having carried one around in full gear in the streets of Fallujah you learn to add devices to fit the mission. The big 3 would be 1. a clean and well lubed rifle 2. plenty of mags and ammo 3. A bottle of CLP ( An AR15 without CLP becomes worthless after 500 rounds or so) when you feel your rifle slow down just squirt a couple shots of CLP on the bolt and she will run like new repeat as needed. I add the least amount of weight to my rifle as possible a light for night missions and maybe a rmr type sight for close quarters outside of that i like her naked. Thoughts?View attachment 449521
No sling?

I am old don't move that fast anymore. I want accuracy in my go to AR. Mid length
gas system heavy 1/8 SS match barrel. Leupold 1X4 green firedot. With flip up
back up sights. Magpul STR .I want accuracy that I can hit small targets at +300 yards. ;)
DSC00142.JPG

I agree that I PREFER plain Jane rifles, but I find that I want a suppresor for the advantages they provide. I need a light to ID my target for HD, since I am a civilian, and I shoot better using a short VFG as a AFG to pull the gun into my shoulder.

You need a sling. You need BUIS if you are going to run an optic. I don't feel the NEED for an optic, but I will probably run one on a QD base.

I agree rifles/uppers should be tailored to specific tasks though.

Lastly, you should use better grease/clp, or tune the gun better if it NEEDs lube every 500rds, and my understanding of running a gun in the desert is you should be using dry-lube?

Just opinions and sharing wisdom (food for thought) no one is attacking anyone, If for some reason you feel offended feel free to move on.

This thread was started as a conversational dead end. You're not interested in why people require extra devices on their rifles. It's a circle jerk of the mentality that "less is more." Just like responding to my post by assuming I'm offended, you leave no room for discussion. Any emotion you inject into my post is YOURS, not mine. There is no discussion here.

That stock was super hard to find, its an air soft part, and its actually way stronger then the original, and was $80 bucks! The slider lock works much better, the plastic matches the hand guards perfect, and the whole thing is super light, despite the non original A2 HBAR upper! Should have built it as a SP-o1, but decided I wanted the elevation wheel and forward assist more then I wanted to save the 1 1/2 oz weight! LOL
Add the Leatherwood scope mount rail and the Gen 2 Acog, you got your self a winner!
I think next build will be a retro XM177 with the real suppressor and sorta night optic!

I bought one of those after you sent me the link. Haven't put it on anything yet, but I think we just figured out where it's going. You got a source for the shorty Triangle hand guards? I built a XM177 style a few years back.

9-77
I bought one of those after you sent me the link. Haven't put it on anything yet, but I think we just figured out where it's going. You got a source for the shorty Triangle hand guards? I built a XM177 style a few years back.

Yep, we had the XM177E2 version in 69 - 77 time frame... Came out around mid 60's

I have rifles in many configurations, from XM-177-ish up to modern tacti-cool. They all have their place.

I'm a fan of KISS.

Simple works.

However, adding stuff works too. Seeing you know what it is and how it works. Mall ninjas I don't quite understand, but hey, if their boat floats...

Optics will always break, Murphy's law. Always have iron sights, no matter what. Lights are interesting, in a squad clearing buildings, sure. Solo, they make you a target.

This thread was started as a conversational dead end. You're not interested in why people require extra devices on their rifles. It's a circle jerk of the mentality that "less is more." Just like responding to my post by assuming I'm offended, you leave no room for discussion. Any emotion you inject into my post is YOURS, not mine. There is no discussion here.
You mad Bro?

Seen a lot of fellows with really decked out Ar 15s Quad rails with red dots,flashlights, lasers and a bunch of little gadgets (BAD levers oversized controls). Kinda takes away the main benefit of having a Ar 15, If im gonna pack around a 9 pound rifle its gonna be of the 7.62 variety. Its not that i have never used or dont see the benefit of such devices but having carried one around in full gear in the streets of Fallujah you learn to add devices to fit the mission. The big 3 would be 1. a clean and well lubed rifle 2. plenty of mags and ammo 3. A bottle of CLP ( An AR15 without CLP becomes worthless after 500 rounds or so) when you feel your rifle slow down just squirt a couple shots of CLP on the bolt and she will run like new repeat as needed. I add the least amount of weight to my rifle as possible a light for night missions and maybe a rmr type sight for close quarters outside of that i like her naked. Thoughts?View attachment 449521

Because when we go shooting as civilians we typically aren't doing it to maximize our chances at a successful mission, eliminating others, and maximizing our survival capabilities.

We're doing it to have fun.

And various crazy optics, grips, lights, lasers, and other gizmos are fun.

We're not marching around Iraq in 110 degree heat with 80 pounds of gear and armor and being shot at and having bombs go off near us where that extra 3-4 pounds on a rifle is going to kill us.

Just a bunch of guys sitting around expressing opinions and they all seem to be enjoying themselves except you. So again feel free to leave this discussion.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top