JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seen a lot of fellows with really decked out Ar 15s Quad rails with red dots,flashlights, lasers and a bunch of little gadgets (BAD levers oversized controls). Kinda takes away the main benefit of having a Ar 15, If im gonna pack around a 9 pound rifle its gonna be of the 7.62 variety. Its not that i have never used or dont see the benefit of such devices but having carried one around in full gear in the streets of Fallujah you learn to add devices to fit the mission. The big 3 would be 1. a clean and well lubed rifle 2. plenty of mags and ammo 3. A bottle of CLP ( An AR15 without CLP becomes worthless after 500 rounds or so) when you feel your rifle slow down just squirt a couple shots of CLP on the bolt and she will run like new repeat as needed. I add the least amount of weight to my rifle as possible a light for night missions and maybe a rmr type sight for close quarters outside of that i like her naked. Thoughts? IMG_0328.JPG

My arms are so jacked, if i dont tie 10lb plates to my rifles, it feels like they are going to float away.

Jk, I only use 5 lb plates

Seriously, I like to KISS also.

I prefer my rifles simple...the less that can go wrong , the happier I am.
Having carried and shot the :
M16A2
CAR-15
M4
And the 203...in combat....
I still prefer it without lights , rails , scopes , etc...they worked for me then ... I am sure that they would work now , without any "extras"
About the only "extra" I really like is the "glow in the dark" front sight insert we had back , when I was in the Army.
But that is just me...
Andy

M16A2
CAR-15
M4
I still prefer it without lights , rails , scopes , etc...they worked for me then ... I am sure that they would work now , without any "extras"
About the only "extra" I really like is the "glow in the dark" front sight insert we had back , when I was in the Army.
But that is just me...
Andy
LOL I just put a front night sight on my Windham last week!

Red dots have their place imo. They are proven to aquire your target faster or they wouldn't be on every competition gun but I'm in agreement about keeping it simple.

Not a gadget guy in life either.

However, there is a right tool for specific jobs.;)

If I was the type of guy who would own such things, I would have several rifles (or at least uppers) configured for specific purposes, rather than having one rifle with a bunch of crap on it trying to do everything. I'd have a low power (1-4) scoped rifle, a high power scoped rifle (2-10), one with only irons and maybe a light, one with a red dot, etc.

The ones with a scope, buis, 45 degree red dot, laser, light, infrared etc are silly imo.

M16A2
CAR-15
M4
But that is just me...
Andy
Somehow I managed to qualify expert with my M16A2. Just open sights and zeroed with paper and pencil in the parking lot across from the range. I was hitting targets at 400m. As you said, the only fancy thing on it was the tritium front site. K.I.S.S. approach always seemed to make sense.
I don't seem to remember much tacticool of anything at
the time either. We had cool stuff like ANPVS-5 (cav-navs), ANPRC-77 and Vinson's. Good times.

Seen a lot of fellows with really decked out Ar 15s Quad rails with red dots,flashlights, lasers and a bunch of little gadgets (BAD levers oversized controls). Kinda takes away the main benefit of having a Ar 15, If im gonna pack around a 9 pound rifle its gonna be of the 7.62 variety. Its not that i have never used or dont see the benefit of such devices but having carried one around in full gear in the streets of Fallujah you learn to add devices to fit the mission. The big 3 would be 1. a clean and well lubed rifle 2. plenty of mags and ammo 3. A bottle of CLP ( An AR15 without CLP becomes worthless after 500 rounds or so) when you feel your rifle slow down just squirt a couple shots of CLP on the bolt and she will run like new repeat as needed. I add the least amount of weight to my rifle as possible a light for night missions and maybe a rmr type sight for close quarters outside of that i like her naked. Thoughts?View attachment 449521

The only thing I have to say is.... the barrel is too long! :D

(Yes, the bottom one is completed... TWINS!)
127D2799-2655-486A-BE56-EA0F2D9C6710.jpeg

The ONLY thing I'm going to do is install tritium front sight posts on them.

Breakfree-CLP is all I've ever used since '85 from forests, to jungles, to water-borne ops... it gets it done. ;)

Last Edited:
One of my favorite ARs is a basic 16" pencil barrel , middy, cl , rear grab handle and a front A-post. Super lightweight, reliable and accurate. I like the CLP also. But you should get closer to 1000 rounds before needing attention.

One of my favorite ARs is a basic 16" pencil barrel , middy, cl , rear grab handle and a front A-post. Super lightweight, reliable and accurate. I like the CLP also. But you should get closer to 1000 rounds before needing attention.
Totally depends on your environment 70 degrees out and plinking rounds with your buddies on larch it may go 1000 rounds but 110 degrees windy sand in the air in the middle east is a requires a little more attention

Love the pencil barrel had one 2010 or so, wish i had kept it, Only downside was when she got hot my groups opened up big time

Seen a lot of fellows with really decked out Ar 15s Quad rails with red dots,flashlights, lasers and a bunch of little gadgets (BAD levers oversized controls). Kinda takes away the main benefit of having a Ar 15, If im gonna pack around a 9 pound rifle its gonna be of the 7.62 variety. Its not that i have never used or dont see the benefit of such devices but having carried one around in full gear in the streets of Fallujah you learn to add devices to fit the mission. The big 3 would be 1. a clean and well lubed rifle 2. plenty of mags and ammo 3. A bottle of CLP ( An AR15 without CLP becomes worthless after 500 rounds or so) when you feel your rifle slow down just squirt a couple shots of CLP on the bolt and she will run like new repeat as needed. I add the least amount of weight to my rifle as possible a light for night missions and maybe a rmr type sight for close quarters outside of that i like her naked. Thoughts?View attachment 449521

Bless you friend! Lol! I always found the armory installed, command mandated krap to be mostly useless, and we almost always pulled the offending krap as soon as we went down range, and we ran it the way God meant, a A-2 H-BAR carry handle and front sight! My fav was always the CAR-16 Commando shorty, with surefire suppressor and gen 2 ACOG on top of the handle! When we switched ( kicking and screaming) to the M-4, it all went to hell. We got the co witness sights which ruined any magnifier or dot, and the designator put a lot of un needed weight forward, worse was the midy length which shifted every thing, and made a single point a bitzh! When I retired I had a serious hate going on with the AR, until I discoverd I could build a retro CAR 16 just the way it should be, and no longer limited to Sh!t ball ammo, and "Standard" twist pipes, it was almost a dream come true! Lol, mine is currently hitting the scales at a whopping 5.8 pounds sans suppressor, and with, it hits at 6.3 pounds!
Makes a slick little carbine, runs like a Swiss watch, and out shoots the issue krap by quite a bit! :D color me happy!:)

I really, Really Really hate quad rails! Nothing like tearing up a really nice pair of worn in Nomex gloves, and your hands underneath! Worse was covers that got banged and fell off, and whole sections of rail that never got used, and folks wondered why a rotorhead like me would want to lug a 203 around! Lol
:eek:

Bless you friend! Lol! I always found the armory installed, command mandated krap to be mostly useless, and we almost always pulled the offending krap as soon as we went down range, and we ran it the way God meant, a A-2 H-BAR carry handle and front sight! My fav was always the CAR-16 Commando shorty, with surefire suppressor and gen 2 ACOG on top of the handle! When we switched ( kicking and screaming) to the M-4, it all went to hell. We got the co witness sights which ruined any magnifier or dot, and the designator put a lot of un needed weight forward, worse was the midy length which shifted every thing, and made a single point a bitzh! When I retired I had a serious hate going on with the AR, until I discoverd I could build a retro CAR 16 just the way it should be, and no longer limited to Sh!t ball ammo, and "Standard" twist pipes, it was almost a dream come true! Lol, mine is currently hitting the scales at a whopping 5.8 pounds sans suppressor, and with, it hits at 6.3 pounds!
Makes a slick little carbine, runs like a Swiss watch, and out shoots the issue krap by quite a bit! :D color me happy!:)
Loved the car 16 shorty possibly the best CQB ever!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top