JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have unilaterally declared April 15 to be AR-15 Day for the following reasons:
  • It's in the name: ApRil 15
  • It helps to balance out the negative feelings otherwise associated with April 15 as tax day.
  • The grifting politicians who spend our tax money should fear tax day every bit as much as those of us who pony up those taxes.
IMO it would make a hella initiative in response to 114.

Just got back from the range with my son, trying to get a couple AR's running reliably. No luck, I don't believe that it is a reliable platform. Ranting here but I have several AR's that ALWAYS jam, factory ammo and reloads the same. AR10 too. What type of jam is this, it's a live round that didn't make it into the chamber, this gun has never locked open on empty mag either. Rifle length has system. Also, my stupid AR10 doesn't have enough oomph to push a round far enough into battery to fire the next round. Really frustrated. The only reliable AR's that I have are blowback 9mm's.
80234AD1-B5E5-469E-BB6D-8B90250EC126.jpeg

Just got back from the range with my son, trying to get a couple AR's running reliably. No luck, I don't believe that it is a reliable platform. Ranting here but I have several AR's that ALWAYS jam, factory ammo and reloads the same. AR10 too. What type of jam is this, it's a live round that didn't make it into the chamber, this gun has never locked open on empty mag either. Rifle length has system. Also, my stupid AR10 doesn't have enough oomph to push a round far enough into battery to fire the next round. Really frustrated. The only reliable AR's that I have are blowback 9mm's.
View attachment 1404965
None of mine do that. Maybe it's you? 🤷‍♂️ :D :s0111:
Just messing with you.

More seriously, they shouldn't do that. ARFCOM has some great content on this subject. Search AR15.com for "my ar keeps jamming".

These threads have lots of good advice and useful links in them:

They also have a troubleshooting section specific to ARs, which is probably linked to in that first thread.

And the AR10, make sure it has the 308 buffer spring. It's different from the standard AR15 spring.

View attachment 1404965

None of mine do that. Maybe it's you? 🤷‍♂️ :D :s0111:
Just messing with you.

More seriously, they shouldn't do that. ARFCOM has some great content on this subject. Search AR15.com for "my ar keeps jamming".

These threads have lots of good advice and useful links in them:

They also have a troubleshooting section specific to ARs, which is probably linked to in that first thread.

And the AR10, make sure it has the 308 buffer spring. It's different from the standard AR15 spring.
I agree, never had any problems with mine. I have had to help others who have worked on their own or built their own and screwed something simple up, usually problems with gas port alignment or something really bizarre like they installed something wrong or used the wrong part. Could be bad brand of magazines as well. I have also had a friend just not load a mag correctly as odd as that sounds but I had shot 5 mag loads told him to load one up to shoot so he did most of his jammed I went back to shooting and shot another 10 mags none of which jammed.

I wish I was closer I am pretty sure I could get them working right or at least get them figured out.

looking at that photo my first guesses would be bad mag, improperly loaded mag or wrong buffer or buffer spring. Maybe a Carbine buffer spring in an A2 stock tube. @kmk1012 can you measure your buffer spring and take a photo of it? What brand of mags are you using? Are you using one brand or have you tried a few? Did you build the rifles yourself or are they factory built?

Last Edited:
I don't believe that it is a reliable platform.
Are they factory rifles or "builds"?

I've owned many AR's, mostly factory rifles, including an Armalite AR10 that would digest anything. None gave me any trouble with normal ammunition.

I did try my hand with two or three minor builds, that is, I bought already assembled uppers and put together the lowers myself. I never had any issues with those either. But I repeat, I didn't put the uppers together.

So in my limited experience, AR's have been reliable firearms.

I have unilaterally declared April 15 to be AR-15 Day for the following reasons:
  • It's in the name: ApRil 15
  • It helps to balance out the negative feelings otherwise associated with April 15 as tax day.
  • The grifting politicians who spend our tax money should fear tax day every bit as much as those of us who pony up those taxes.
I would vote for that! I would vote for the AR as "america's rifle", too.

Even though, deep down, we all know in our heart of hearts it's really the winchester repeater. ;) Modern times call for modern measures/symbology to rally behind and preserve our rights, though.

(BP folk already have independence day)

Sorry @3MTA3 i didn't mean to take over the thread. I'm going to gather the info requested to help with my issue and start another thread. Hope your AR15 Day hangover isn't too bad!
No worries, besides AR-18 day is in just a few days, and M1, M2, M4 M14 and M16 days are just next month.

For the record, all of my AR rifles, including my builds, are reliable enough that I'd trust my life with them. Then again, reliability is my first priority. Like others have said look at ammunition (I use either Lake City or my own validated hand loads), magazines/followers, feed ramps, even look at lubrication.

If all your AR's have issues, that tells you to focus in things they all have in common, which leads back to just about everything above.

One thing that can come into play is trigger hammer mass. A lot of non mil spec triggers have low mass hammers. That extra mass on the hammer is there for a reason. It's why I stick with triggers like the ACT and the SSA-E, even though there are really great ones out there at better prices.

Last Edited:
View attachment 1404965
Are these factory guns or assembled from parts?

Not to diminish your experience with the platforms reliability, but rather to bolster your hopes, I have had the exact opposite experience with AR's. Keep at it you will get it resolved. Trust me, when the components are not defective/out of spec and they are assembled correctly with a gas/buffer system that is properly tuned, the platform is ridiculously reliable.

@kmk1012

Some reading I was doing, a while ago….about feed ramp matching between barrel extension and receiver….. there's a couple patterns totally…. But even matching ramp's could have little ledge to hang up on.

Something easy to look at….

1FF5BFD0-3969-4F1F-B1B8-778EA974A3D7.jpeg

@kmk1012

Some reading I was doing, a while ago….about feed ramp matching between barrel extension and receiver….. there's a couple patterns totally…. But even matching ramp's could have little ledge to hang up on.

Something easy to look at….

View attachment 1405289
Looks like a great article at first glance, when I get back home I'll thoroughly read it, thank you.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews