JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a build using an entry style short tube, basically the "doublestar" skeleton stock type "entry" buffer tube (7" or 7.5")

The issue I'm running into is the spring/buffer take up too much room in the tube and I'm left with only a 1/4 gap (perhaps less) behind the BHO lever. After test firing, I noticed the BHO was not engaging in time and instead hanging up right behind the bolt face and catching on the bolt carrier itself. I assume this is due to there not being enough of a gap for dwell time and the BHO lever cannot engage soon enough before the bolt attempts to return to slam home upon the last round fired.

The issue is not the BHO spring or magazines. This issue was replicated using 5 separate mags of various kinds. All parts function as they should. The issue I'm seeing is, there isn't quite enough room in the buffer tube for the bolt to travel fully reward, it's as if the buffer is too long. And after swapping the shorter 2.5", .308 buffer for a test fit, I noticed I had far more clearance behind the BHO lever as the buffer was not hitting the back of the buffer tube.

Secondly, I have paired this set up with the Stern Defense RAB-AD quick detach stock adapter. And with that, there is a little 1" spacer that is required for use with the adapter.

I've since ordered a flat wire buffer spring, however I suspect the buffer itself is a tad long, regardless of the buffer spring compression.

My question is, could a heavier, shorter AR10 buffer be used (the 2.5" .308 carbine buffer, replicating an H3 in weight)

OR

Are there 2.5" shorter AR15 buffers on the market that for some reason I cannot find?

Also, has anyone tried using a shorter .308 carbine buffer in their standard 5.56 AR? What kind of reliability issues did you have if you did, if any?

I know this is a long winded and scattered list of things/question but any help would be appreciated.

Check how much room it leaves you between the gas key and the receiver at full travel. Iirc, if you go too short it can damage the lower.

True. I'd hate to incur over-travel due to a shorter buffer, but as it stands now, it would seem a shorter buffer is the only solution to the issue.
Luckily @MTpockets has informed me of a company that sells a shorter buffer for the AR15. I'm going to purchase that and run a few test rounds and see if any damage occurs in the process. If so, I may switch to something heavier and see what cycling issues I get.. If I can fine tune this build, I should be set after that. But I'll certainly keep an eye out for over travel damage as you stated.

Nice, now I have TWO options. I can't believe I wasn't finding these in my initial searches. Google seemed useless providing info on short buffers and instead kept showing me shorter buffer tubes.

I'll pick this one up as well and see if it solves the problem. Looks like it can be paired with the flat wire buffer spring I picked up, so that's perfect.

Thank you for the heads up.

duck duck go..or any other search engine than google or bing will give you many better search answers..
Partheon arms makes a really short buffer system. works on supers but not subs in 300blk . I tried making
a spring to make ii work,. but it was either too strong or not enough forward tension. so I pulled it off. And
I have a nice collection of springs to show for it.
I'm curious how it works out. I've had mixed results with the newer buffer offerings from KAK. But they are a solid
company either way

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR