JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I can score a great deal on soft armor inserts; I probably would have the lady use this and the 9mm carbine
Even though I'm still trying to sell the carrier itself :rolleyes: . Otherwise, simple and light as possible on the armor (ceramic Level 3 or 4 rifle plates), and anywhere from 6 to 12 AR mags plus water and FAK, and depending on situation, add 5 pistol mags and the Ruger P85. Main thing though... the AR15 I have is a very simple 16" carbine setup, irons and standard m4 furniture. Similarly simple is the 9mm hipoint, although that one has 1-4x optic and no irons (do have original irons and tools in small plastic ammo can when optics either gets smashed, damaged or otherwise unusable). 20170716_194908.jpg

Edit; see next post

For "mission essential AR" patrol setup; what my setup would be built up as...
6 AR mags on plate carrier with just rifle plates front and back; 6 more in 2x ALICE (or Cmvs triples) style triple pouches on belt kit that also carries 4 pistol mags in a quad pouch plus one in pistol, and a knife on belt, first aid kit either on belt or on PC, depending on size of FAK, if small, then PC. If larger then on belt at 5 o clock position opposite of 2qt canteen.

My reasoning? If I have to ditch PC along the way for whatever reason, I can still be an effective defender with the belt kit.

Backpack, either the UM21 72HR pack or ALICE Large ruck with patrol pack buckled to it, would carry a reload bandolier of 6, or two bandoliers, and be stashed somewhere with other gear (base camp/OP/hooch principle).

This original thread started about AR's so I'll comment on that first. I'm a guilty member of the 'tricked' out rifle club.

Magpul bad lever
Larue MBT-2s trigger
Offset Magpul pro iron sights
Primary arms 1x8 Acss scope
Magpul STR stock
Limbsaver recoil pad
Lightweight free floated rail (mlok)
Streamlight protac 1 mounted on the 9pm with a tape switch at 12pm. Spray painted it a brown variation from Walmart.

I've had this rifle for 7 years and it's developed into what it is now over that time.

Spray paint happened when I bought it, it helped keep it from getting so hot in the sun and also provided some anti corrosion protection, plus black stands out. Now it looks "battleworn" but that's because I've been competing with it and enjoying shooting a lot practicing/training, rather hilarious to have people purposely paint their rifle to look like they shoot a lot with it.

Why all the other stuff?

Well: in doing the competitions I like to do sometimes they happen at night, have to be able to identify the target. The offset sights are my own personal preference of not relying on a scope as the only sight. 1x8 scope for me works like a red dot in close ranges but I can also have fun easily at extended ranges much easier than using a 1x red dot.

Never cared for the basic stocks, that STR is sure nice. The limbsaver recoil pad I originally got for the girlfriend on her rifle, she loved it, after shooting it I thought it was pretty nice too, why not, got one for myself.

Magpul bad lever. For competions it simply helps you to reload and put shots back on target faster. No one can reload faster without as bad lever as they potentially could with one, body mechanics dictate this fact, your support hand can be moving forward to grip the forend while your dominant hand is getting the BCG into battery, this results in a slightly faster reload.

The notion of a rifle needing to be very lightweight is cool if you are hiking miles on end, but I think all that "extra" on my rifle still keeps it relatively light, but im young and compared to my 13 pound RFB the AR with all those things on it is still light. I also like the versatility provided by the gear.

Since this has grown to a topic of plate carriers. Can't see how any self respecting gun owner wouldn't own one. At 25 lbs does my 11x14 carrier mean I'm going to be sprinting everywhere, no. I have sprinted in it, it's not terrible, but obviously easier without it. With most shooters practing hitting center mass and most people naturally aiming for the torsos, being in any situation where I might be concerned about being shot at and having it rated to stop most common rifle threats is nice. If I became aware someone was trying to break into the house it wouldn't hurt to have it on, never know. I did splurge and get the 3.3 pound polyethylene level 3 plates for the girlfriend though. It's almost a joke feeling the behemoth I wear training compared to hers. If it helps them continue to enjoy shooting and keep wanting to go, totally worth it though.

I like anything that makes my rifle more ambidextrous. Because I'm wrong handed. Other than that, plain Jane. Because it looks better. Maybe not great reasons but reasons all the same

Quad rails suck along with carbine gas systems and other mall ninja stuff. I run a 16" Noveske mid recce flatop with frond fixed and a carry handle rear with a few spare parts shoved in some cavities. Of course I have some other ar's with some trinkity crap on them but they are mostly for fun. I do have my first bad lever I am trying out on another. I doubt I ever put one on the Noveske.:s0010:

I too have two BAD levers that I forgot about, guess I should install one on something to test it.

I have two store bought or factory made AR's a Colt and a Daniel's Defense, The DDM4V3 is older design, it has a quad rail. I should replace it, but it costs and I have other AR that even thogh less expensive I like better like my home built Delton lower with a Armalite upper, A2 style round plastic handguard, flattop. Accurate. I have a nicer Noveske 18" too, but The Armalite works for me..

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top