JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You repeat yourself a lot. How's that working out?
One thing that hasn't been explained is why so many people who never owned a slave in their life (because the majority of southerners did not) would take up arms to fight the north, if it was purely about slavery and not about something more.

One thing that hasn't been explained is why so many people who never owned a slave in their life (because the majority of southerners did not) would take up arms to fight the north, if it was purely about slavery and not about something more.
Unfair taxes is a biggy! Northern rail road control over product movements, taxes and tariffs on southern goods shipped to northern states, all disproportionately! The north holding dominance over the south was untenable, and the south exhausted all legal means available to it! Slavery barely registered on the long list of grievances!

Unfair taxes is a biggy! Northern rail road control over product movements, taxes and tariffs on southern goods shipped to northern states, all disproportionately! The north holding dominance over the south was untenable, and the south exhausted all legal means available to it! Slavery barely registered on the long list of grievances!
Yes, my question was a bit facetious. There is a lot more to the civil war than just slavery. That's just the way it's portrayed to make it appear as a holy endeavor and portray one side as clearly the good side and the other as not. Weird how the emancipation proclamation didn't happen until well into the war if the war was primarily about slavery. Wouldn't the north have started with that?

Edit: glad that happened as slavery is a practice mankind should be without, but any argument that focuses on ending slavery being the primary cause is really missing a lot.

StatesRightToDoWhat.png

Explained by me, or explained by historians and sociologists? They would say:

The South had a very classist society - one of the reasons people were so invested in "defending their honor". It was largely a product of the slavery economy, where so many people were so poor that the difference between them and the black slaves was their legal status. It was widely believed that freeing the slaves would make the poor majority of the white population little more the blacks.

The South had a very classist society - one of the reasons people were so invested in "defending their honor". It was largely a product of the slavery economy, where so many people were so poor that the difference between them and the black slaves was their legal status. It was widely believed that freeing the slaves would make the poor majority of the white population little more the blacks.
By you, I've listened to others explain it.

Yes, my question was a bit facetious. There is a lot more to the civil war than just slavery. That's just the way it's portrayed to make it appear as a holy endeavor and portray one side as clearly the good side and the other as not. Weird how the emancipation proclamation didn't happen until well into the war if the war was primarily about slavery. Wouldn't the north have started with that?

Edit: glad that happened as slavery is a practice mankind should be without, but any argument that focuses on ending slavery being the primary cause is really missing a lot.
I don't think the Union was all good. But I do think that there is nothing defendable about slavery.

Hence the term "poor white trash" as in "I might be poor white trash, but at least I'm not a . . . "

I don't think the Union was all good. But I do think that there is nothing defendable about slavery.
On that we are in complete agreement, but the war wasn't entirely about slavery either, and most of the southern soldiers who fought in it never owned slaves and most of the southern inhabitants didn't either.

Except it was, and the guy dying almost never has an actual stake in what they are dying for
You can say it was… but you'd also be ignoring what is very much discussed by historians, and already cited as other reasons.

I will say this again, capitalized for emphasis: IF THE WAR WAS ONLY ABOUT SLAVERY WHY DID IT TAKE THREE YEARS FOR THE EMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION TO BE MADE AFTER ALL THAT BLOODSHED.

clearly the north would have led with that proclamation if they set out from the beginning simply to end slavery.

On that we are in complete agreement, but the war wasn't entirely about slavery either, and most of the southern soldiers who fought in it never owned slaves and most of the southern inhabitants didn't either.
Take away slavery, and there weren't any other issues. But when you have a massive economy with just two products and a handful of people that benefit from that economy, you're going to find that every tariff, interstate commerce law or transportation act is possibly going to impact you. Especially when the votes you do have in congress are based on 3/5s of a lot of your population.

Did you know the Tariff of Abominations was a Southern scheme to slow down tariffs, but the scheme backfired because the middle states voted for it, overriding New England and the South? What a hilarious miscalculation - but one the South blamed the north for.

You can say it was… but you'd also be ignoring what is very much discussed by historians, and already cited as other reasons.

I will say this again, capitalized for emphasis: IF THE WAR WAS ONLY ABOUT SLAVERY WHY DID IT TAKE THREE YEARS FOR THE EMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION TO BE MADE AFTER ALL THAT BLOODSHED.

clearly the north would have led with that proclamation if they set out from the beginning simply to end slavery.
Because it was a meaningless proclamation (or would have been had the South won) that only affected "States in rebellion" and slavery had already been legislated out in the North by around 1804, almost 60 years before the Emancipation Proclamation

The war was not about slavery, from the perspective of the north. Which is why the north didn't immediately ban it. The north fought to maintain the union.

But it was all about slavery in the South, which seceded and attacked the Union for the threat to this economy and class system.

The war was not about slavery, from the perspective of the north. Which is why the north didn't immediately ban it. The north fought to maintain the union.

But it was all about slavery in the South, which seceded and attacked the Union for the threat to this economy and class system.
So the north would have been fine to maintain the union had the south acquiesced to everything the north wanted except the end to slavery?

So the north would have been fine to maintain the union had the south acquiesced to everything the north wanted except the end to slavery?
Again, people are not organized into monoculture hive minds. The proposals at the time were for exactly that - leave the South alone but stop expanding slavery. The South didn't like that because it put them in a minority and they assumed that the rest of the country would eventually force an end to slavery.

And I imagine they assumed that because it was evil, and they knew it was evil.

Soooo...
The same union army that prosecuted the " Indian wars" from 1866 -1890 was not in any way " evil " ?
Or possibly simply unaware of the evil nature of following ze orders.

Not sure if genocide is quite as bad as slavery, as I have never been personally involved in either.

Soooo...
The same union army that prosecuted the " Indian wars" from 1866 -1890 was not in any way " evil " ?

Not sure if genocide is quite as bad as slavery, as I have never been personally involved in either.
I don't think anyone said that and not sure why you would think that anyone believed that

Soooo...

I would argue that the Army wasn't evil.
However....
Col. John Chivington of the Sand Creek Massacre of 1864 for damn sure was.

In any event...we have wandered far from the OP...so I won't be responding any more to comments about the War Of Northern Aggression or the later US Indian Wars.
Those two subjects deserve their own thread.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews