JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You notice Politico never writes a story about drug addiction and drug overdose deaths in blue states being greater than in red states (ref: samhsa.gov).

Politico is a "centrist" publication my arse. The only people I personally know who read Politico on a regular basis are Portland liberals. The people who run Politico know who their readers are.

One has to be careful with those "per population" statistics when referring to small numbers (like Curry and Klamath counties). There was an article in the Eugene Register Guard several years ago discussing the level of incest in the various cities in Oregon. Coming in at the top of the list with the highest incest rate in Oregon was Sutherlin with 12 cases per 100,000. If you've ever lived in or know anything about Sutherlin, you know that was exactly one case of incest because their population was 1/12 of 100,000 people. I took the time to write to the paper to warn them of the dangers of statistics. My letter went ignored.
When COVID hit, I was in Hawaii. Hawaii was listed as one of the highest increase for a while. Well ya, you need to look at the total population. That jump was like ten people :s0140:

"COVID cases doubled on the big Island".

Yes, but doubling from 10 to 20 is hardly significant, but you are correct, the numbers doubled.

Last Edited:
Lol at the amount of "fake news"! Type comments.

Fine, you think the data is flawed? Provide your own, just expect the same source scrutiny you've provided.

As for my antidotal evidence? The only american "murder capitals" ive ever lived in were in two extremely conservative red states.
Please do reveal these locations. I lived in California for a good part of my life; during the 90s Oakland, Richmond, and East Palo Alto all vied for the cities with the highest per capita murder rates in the US. This should come as no surprise to anyone -- impoverished and decayed inner cities, with crowding, poor schools, family breakdown, rampant drug abuse, etc. Keep in mind, this is a state that has long had strict gun control laws. I believe this is a similar dynamic state such a Ill with Chicago and NY state and NY city.

There is no credible evidence that the death penalty deters crime more effectively than long terms of imprisonment. States that have death penalty laws do not have lower crime rates or murder rates than states without such laws.
Well, it's certain that.....IF the Death Penalty is carried out, that person won't be a "repeat offender". And besides.....even a "life sentence" means nothing to some people.

Case in point.

As for the "deterrent" factor.
Well.....when I was growing up....the Death Penalty was still on the table and being carried out in some states. Not to mention, there was still a REAL possibility of incarceration for CRIME.

LOL.....I didn't turn out to to be a CRIMINAL.

No deterrent?

BUT, But, but.....eating carrots probably had something to do with that too.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Well at this point in time...
I am going to tap out of the discussion.

Admittedly due to my "personal bias".
That bias ( I prefer outlook ) is :
There ain't no such thing as "gun violence".
Violence is simply an action...sometimes used for good...sometimes used for not so good reasons .

In any event...mostly when I read the term "gun violence" it is usually followed by data that is slanted to present an agenda that I don't agree with

Not that I know all and am "right"...
I am however wanting to read data and information that does not come with a spin / slant / or other such nonsense.
Much like Joe Friday , "Just the facts ma'am....is all that I want.
Andy

LOL.....and I live in Vancouver, WA (about 20 mins away from Portland, OR). It's not the STATE that matters all that much to me.

BUT, But, but.....speaking of gun laws that infringe on rights.....
It's a race to the bottom here between OR and WA.

Aloha, Mark

PS......FYI, according to "Siri".

The last R Governor in
WA = 1985
OR = 1987

I live near Portland and almost every morning the news is talking about a new shooting or murder. Fairly often they talk of the police being spread between a few different shooting or murder scenes.

Yet that article would tell you more gun deaths per capita happen in rural counties.
To me that's just a way of presenting the data to support a narrative.
You could just as easily present the data in another way to support a different narrative.

they are throwing in suicides. Suicide by gun is more common in red states.
They have to add in suicides to support their narrative. Here is a quick example: As 0f 2021, MT is #2 in suicides, just a hair behind WY. (Per the CDC). Almost all of those involved firearms due to the high rate of ownership in those states. The national average is 55% of suicides use a firearm (CDC). MT had 350 suicides and 46 homicides in 2021 (CDC).

My huge issue with including suicide stats with ANYTHING else shifts the focus from reducing suicides to doing something else that is pretty much guaranteed to not change the suicide rate but make the psuedo-virtuous feel important and powerful like they made a difference.

LOL.....and I live in Vancouver, WA (about 20 mins away from Portland, OR). It's not the STATE that matters all that much to me.

BUT, But, but.....speaking of gun laws that infringe on rights.....
It's a race to the bottom here between OR and WA.

Aloha, Mark

PS......FYI, according to "Siri".

The last R Governor in
WA = 1985
OR = 1987
It's still Trump's fault. :s0109:

They have to add in suicides to support their narrative. Here is a quick example: As 0f 2021, MT is #2 in suicides, just a hair behind WY. (Per the CDC). Almost all of those involved firearms due to the high rate of ownership in those states. The national average is 55% of suicides use a firearm (CDC). MT had 350 suicides and 46 homicides in 2021 (CDC).

My huge issue with including suicide stats with ANYTHING else shifts the focus from reducing suicides to doing something else that is pretty much guaranteed to not change the suicide rate but make the psuedo-virtuous feel important and powerful like they made a difference.
exactly. Some of the highest suicide rate countries in the world have almost no guns. Subtract the suicides and a vastly different picture arises.

Lol at the amount of "fake news"! Type comments.

Fine, you think the data is flawed? Provide your own, just expect the same source scrutiny you've provided.

As for my antidotal evidence? The only american "murder capitals" ive ever lived in were in two extremely conservative red states.
Like Oregon?

exactly. Some of the highest suicide rate countries in the world have almost no guns. Subtract the suicides and a vastly different picture arises.
I truly believe most sources that provide anti gun rhetoric know this. It's the real display of disinformation. Listen to physically grown men in congress try to describe the most basic firearm descriptions. So many can't.

Outside of some hotline numbers, there has been practically no energy placed to reduce suicides in this country. It could almost be the one legitimate argument for the anti-gunners, but since they don't actually care about life, they don't use it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top