JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone who drinks this tepid Kool aid made from puddle water should definitely move to Chicago or New York.
If I'm parsing this pile of dry Macaroni and glitter accurately, it's just more suicides and defensive/ Leo shootings in places that think correctly( right=correct).

So what, specifically is wrong with the data?

If they did not meaningfully separate homicides from suicides, if it was aggregate deaths by firearm, then it is a story that lacks nuance and is inherently deceptive. Someone else raised this point earlier.

When I was in the army I served with several different LRRP / LRSD units....
Our main "job" was to either gather information / intelligence or confirm and or refute the same regarding things like terrain and enemy types and location.
We had other jobs...but I digress...:D
We also used reconnaissance aircraft , satellite images , maps , PW information and the like .

The point here is....
Even the military requires more than one source to collect data in order to plan operations...
Why would you want to rely on only one source to present data that could affect your Rights...?
Andy

CDC is an aggregator of data from other sources.

The problem is not the data. It is how it is cut and presented.

An enterprising youth might download the data and see what different stories it could tell.

So what, specifically is wrong with the data?

If they did not meaningfully separate homicides from suicides, if it was aggregate deaths by firearm, then it is a story that lacks nuance and is inherently deceptive. Someone else raised this point earlier.
When trying to illustrate that violence is more or less prevalent in a region, it's disingenuous to segregate by the inanimate objects in play. Those inner city sh!tholes have plenty of stabbings, vehicular assaults, and stone age weapons crime.
Add to that the higher probability of legitimate defensive firearms use. Very unlikely in a city or state that prevents citizens access to self defense.

CDC thinks suicide by gun = gun violence. Red states have the highest populations of depressed, lonely, middle aged men that happen to know a thing or two about firearms. Let's see the stats for homicide with gun and every one of those light yellow blue state will glow blood red. Ask any person on the street what gun violence means and they will say murder. Stats used to push an agenda.

Well at this point in time...
I am going to tap out of the discussion.

Admittedly due to my "personal bias".
That bias ( I prefer outlook ) is :
There ain't no such thing as "gun violence".
Violence is simply an action...sometimes used for good...sometimes used for not so good reasons .

In any event...mostly when I read the term "gun violence" it is usually followed by data that is slanted to present an agenda that I don't agree with

Not that I know all and am "right"...
I am however wanting to read data and information that does not come with a spin / slant / or other such nonsense.
Much like Joe Friday , "Just the facts ma'am....is all that I want.
Andy

When trying to illustrate that violence is more or less prevalent in a region, it's disingenuous to segregate by the inanimate objects in play. Those inner city sh!tholes have plenty of stabbings, vehicular assaults, and stone age weapons crime.
Add to that the higher probability of legitimate defensive firearms use. Very unlikely in a city or state that prevents citizens access to self defense.
Also keep in mind, not all violent crime is reported. A lot of physical violence is done by multiple attackers as well as with guns, knives, bats, ect. Sort of the Antifa play book.

Right, widen the level of analysis. Death by Bunga inclusive.

Lol at the amount of "fake news"! Type comments.

Fine, you think the data is flawed? Provide your own, just expect the same source scrutiny you've provided.

As for my antidotal evidence? The only american "murder capitals" ive ever lived in were in two extremely conservative red states.

Lol at the amount of "fake news"! Type comments.

Fine, you think the data is flawed? Provide your own, just expect the same source scrutiny you've provided.

As for my antidotal evidence? The only american "murder capitals" ive ever lived in were in two extremely conservative red states.
Which two capital cities were these, and approximately what years?

CDC thinks suicide by gun = gun violence. Red states have the highest populations of depressed, lonely, middle aged men that happen to know a thing or two about firearms. Let's see the stats for homicide with gun and every one of those light yellow blue state will glow blood red. Ask any person on the street what gun violence means and they will say murder. Stats used to push an agenda.
I'm curious what happens to those numbers when you include doctor assisted suicide.:s0002:

Which two capital cities were these, and approximately what years?
Jackson Mississippi for 25+ years, its the current "murder capital of the world" according to their governor Tater Tot Reeves. Its worth noting mississippi is one of the most conservative states in america. The second city was New Orleans Louisiana shortly after katrina.

What other questions do you have mr interrogator?

Jackson Mississippi for 25+ years, its the current "murder capital of the world" according to their governor Tater Tot Reeves. Its worth noting mississippi is one of the most conservative states in america. The second city was New Orleans Louisiana shortly after katrina.

What other questions do you have mr interrogator?
Just curious is all, not interrogating.

Simply because context matters. You mention NO, after Katrina. That's context.

Did you live in NO before Katrina? If so, you can see how the context matters. If not, you'd only have statistics to go by....

Furthermore a 2 second Google shows Jackson Mississippi as pretty blue. Might be a red state, however the local politics of the capital city are not...

Edit:

Similar second 2 second Google for Louisiana. NO metro Parish leaning purple to blue...

Last Edited:
Being that "Gun Violence Stats" are NOT differentiated between a GOOD SHOOT vs a BAD SHOOT........it means nothing to me.

And, since WA (and many other states) has taken the Death Penalty off of the table and/or curbed the actual carrying out of such a sentence.......well, what does anyone expect will happen next?

Aloha, Mark
There is no credible evidence that the death penalty deters crime more effectively than long terms of imprisonment. States that have death penalty laws do not have lower crime rates or murder rates than states without such laws.

Just curious is all, not interrogating.

Simply because context matters. You mention NO, after Katrina. That's context.

Did you live in NO before Katrina? If so, you can see how the context matters. If not, you'd only have statistics to go by....

Furthermore a 2 second Google shows Jackson Mississippi as pretty blue. Might be a red state, however the local politics of the capital city are not...
I didnt live in new orleans before katrina but visited often. It was a murder capital before and after.

As for Jackson, yes technically almost every major us city is blue. But thats still a red state, which is what the statistic is concerning. Also, you should really visit jackson sometime to understand how "blue" it is, its blue compared to the hyper red sea its surrounded by, but its down right churchy compared to portland or any blue city we are used to. There are no actual blue policies there, just democratic voters.

I see what your doing and i want to point out that oregon is blue but per population the most gun deaths happen in klamath and curry county. Almost double the gun violence than multnomah and clackamas county. Maybe theres some truth to OPs article after all?

per population
One has to be careful with those "per population" statistics when referring to small numbers (like Curry and Klamath counties). There was an article in the Eugene Register Guard several years ago discussing the level of incest in the various cities in Oregon. Coming in at the top of the list with the highest incest rate in Oregon was Sutherlin with 12 cases per 100,000. If you've ever lived in or know anything about Sutherlin, you know that was exactly one case of incest because their population was 1/12 of 100,000 people. I took the time to write to the paper to warn them of the dangers of statistics. My letter went ignored.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top