JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is easy to confuse what's happening here.

There are two kinds of deadly "red states". The traditional South, which is violent - cities and country have more murder per capita than almost anywhere else except for selected neighborhoods of certain big cities.

And there there is the lonely west, where men shoot themselves a lot.

Iowa is largely a red state and has much lower rates of either murder or suicide than Mississippi or Montana.

I don't think there is anything controversial about pointing out that the South is violent. Red northern places don't have that culture. The very reddest parts of WA or OR is nothing like the South.

The other violence and suicide hot spots are Reservations, which also make up a large portion of states like Wyoming.
\
Homicide_rate_by_county.webp

It is easy to confuse what's happening here.

There are two kinds of deadly "red states". The traditional South, which is violent - cities and country have more murder per capita than almost anywhere else except for selected neighborhoods of certain big cities.

And there there is the lonely west, where men shoot themselves a lot.

Iowa is largely a red state and has much lower rates of either murder or suicide than Mississippi or Montana.

I don't think there is anything controversial about pointing out that the South is violent. Red northern places don't have that culture. The very reddest parts of WA or OR is nothing like the South.

The other violence and suicide hot spots are Reservations, which also make up a large portion of states like Wyoming.
\
Homicide_rate_by_county.webp
Alaska doesn't have "counties" so why is there data for Alaska? They have boroughs.
The other issue I have is that the big red swath in Alaska includes just a bunch of small villages. There probably isn't even 100,000 folks in that entire swath, so they are saying there was maybe 50 homicides in about a third of the entire state.

Having been to Wyoming, I'm pretty sure you'd be hard pressed to find a decent bridge to jump off of in that state. Not surprised they use guns for suicide.

Edited due to Fairbanks not in the red swath. The red swath is the Yukon borough with about 5000 folks, so 3 homicides in the area to turn 1/3 of Alaska red? (If I did the math right)

As of the 2020 census, the population was 5,343,[2] down from 5,588 in 2010.[3] With an area of 147,842.51 sq mi

Last Edited:
LMAO, yeah WYOMING is a real hot spot for gun deaths. Who comes up with this BS? :s0112:
If the deaths are suicide, Wyoming is the number one suicide state in the US. Montana in number two, then Alaska. Over 30 deaths per 100,000. More than double the US average of 13 per 100,000.

The lowest are New England states like New Jersey and Massachusetts with below 8 suicides per 100,000. People in Wyoming are 4 times more likely to kill themselves than in New York.

Alaska doesn't have "counties" so why is there data for Alaska? They have boroughs.
The other issue I have is that the big red swath in Alaska includes just a bunch of small villages. There probably isn't even 100,000 folks in that entire swath, so they are saying there was maybe 50 homicides in about a third of the entire state.

Having been to Wyoming, I'm pretty sure you'd be hard pressed to find a decent bridge to jump off of in that state. Not surprised they use guns for suicide.

Edited due to Fairbanks not in the red swath. The red swath is the Yukon borough with about 5000 folks, so 3 homicides in the area to turn 1/3 of Alaska red? (If I did the math right)

As of the 2020 census, the population was 5,343,[2] down from 5,588 in 2010.[3] With an area of 147,842.51 sq mi
You have correctly summarized how per capita statistics work. If an area has few people, and a large percentage of those people die, then the death rate per capita is high.

In general, lonely swaths of nothingness don't appear to lead low suicide states anywhere.

The word game continues. The title was about gun violence. The talk about suicide is valid but every suicide doesn't include a gun. I've experienced a lot of violence in my early life and had several guns pointed at me, but other weapons (bats, pipes, fist, feet) were actually used.

The difference between theory and reality. While most US cities are relatively safe, I can send the author to the bluest of the blue cities and wish him luck. Numbers don't look for victims. Predators do.

Currently, we are told there is Asian hate, a hit on Trans people, attacks on blacks. Whatever those narratives are, where are they happening? The biggest cities. How much Asian hate is in South Dakota 🤔?

not homicides. Homicides and suicides by use of gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top